So you've just asked or been asked out by the crush you've liked forever. But yikes! Totally nervous! What are some "Do's and Don'ts" you should know to lighten your nerves?
| || |
(Picture from http://www.carltonartgallery.com)
- Disrespect personal space: Being really grabby or touchy feely is never a good first impression to make. Even if you aren't one, doing something like groping or even touching in an area multiple times that being told it's uncomfortable won't earn you brownie points, and most likely not a second date. Also, asking personal questions consistently after being told it's uncomfortable... that is also considered a violation of personal space.
- Be egotistical: Talking about yourself the whole time or most of the time won't have your date drool over you, screaming for more. Try to avoid using the word "I" too much... remember, listening is a virtue. We have 2 ears and 1 mouth; you should be listening twice as much as you talk.
- Limit your date: Keep an open mind: Even if you usually prefer guys to play sports, keep in mind there can be other parts to a guy than his machoness. Or even if she prefers jeans to mini-skirts, that doesn't mean she's any less feminine. Although there does need to be a certain amount of compatibility for a second date, that doesn't mean they can end up being a friend instead.
- Use profanity: It's really best to avoid this, using the king's English is the way to go. Cursing excessively or even more than twice is not attractive to either sex.
- Over mush: Romance is a great expression of affection, but more than a little on a first date can be more negative than positive on your part. First dates are suppose to be fun and carefree... if you do find you two can both be ready to step up to the next level, than do so. But on a first date, it can be uncomfortable, smothering, and pressuring to the other party to do the same.