#1 Jake

Jake

Loyal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:10 AM

Posted Image

I'm sure just about every gay person who knows about "the scene" knows about the Raindow Flag's association with Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgendered teens. But, did you know that each stripe has a different meaning than all the others? Here's what each stripe means:

RED = Life
ORANGE = Healing
YELLOW = Sun
GREEN = Nature
ROYAL BLUE = Harmony
VIOLET = Spirit

If a black stripe is on the bottem of the flag, it usually signifies a victory over AIDS, or can also signify "leather daddy" pride :huh:

The Gay Pride Flag The gay pride flag debuted at the 1978 San Francisco Gay and Lesbian Freedom Day Parade, and was designed by Gilbert Baker. It's inspiration came from the black civil rights and hippie movements that campainged from the late 1950's to the mid-1970's.

Another common symbol associated with the "GLBT Scene," but more commonly with Lesbian and Bisexual people is the upside down pink triangle:

Posted Image

Belive it or not, the pink triangle goes all the way back to the times of Nazi Germany. People who were even suspected of loving others of the same sex were forced to wear a upside-down pink triangle to mark them while they were in concentration camps. It was also sometimes tatooed on their foreheads, and they were treated even worse in some situations than many of the Jewish people in the same prison with them.

After the War ended with Germany, the prisoners were released took pride in the symbol of the upsidedown triangle as a symbol whitch shows their endurence through suffering, and as a reminder of how things have changed :)

History rocks! :D

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Veteran

• Banned
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 07:59 AM

heh thats pretty cool... I didnt know it had a meaning behind it.

#3 Skye

Skye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,719 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:15 AM

*hides from Jacob* Thats a cool bit of learning. :)

#4 DreamPixie

DreamPixie

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:14 PM

:skips off to find my rainbow stickers: Oh, wait, I don't have any :(. Boooo.

Hehe, thanks for learning us them thar history stories. <3

#5 girlyluvR4life

girlyluvR4life

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:43 PM

hehe i never even knew the meanin of the rainbow, nor have i ever even heard of the the upside down triangle! and im a lil lesbian myself! thanks for enlightining me!

#6 Theebee

Theebee

Loyal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:40 PM

i'm pretty sure an upside down black triangle was the symbol for lesbians in particular. During WWII "social undesirables" were labelled with these and this category included mostly women who did not live up to what a woman "should be" to the Nazis - that is, she refused to marry, wanted to work, or insisted on equal rights. The other women with the black triangle label either downright refused to marry or were openly lesbians. It's true! We watched a movie about it in history last semester, the Nazis crashed gay and lesbian bars and rounded everybody up, either killed them on sight or sent them to the camps. Scary, but interesting.

#7 Queergrrl

Queergrrl

Loyal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:18 PM

Grrrrr :angry:

#8 Jake

Jake

Loyal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Theebee@Feb 24 2003, 09:40 PM
i'm pretty sure an upside down black triangle was the symbol for lesbians in particular. During WWII "social undesirables" were labelled with these and this category included mostly women who did not live up to what a woman "should be" to the Nazis - that is, she refused to marry, wanted to work, or insisted on equal rights. The other women with the black triangle label either downright refused to marry or were openly lesbians. It's true! We watched a movie about it in history last semester, the Nazis crashed gay and lesbian bars and rounded everybody up, either killed them on sight or sent them to the camps. Scary, but interesting.

You're pretty much on the nail there :)

#9 climbingupthewalls

climbingupthewalls

Loyal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 11:57 PM

actually the thing about gays in nazi germany is that there were two sects: the "fems" and the "butches". the butches HATED the fems and often would round them up and kill them. something not many people know, is that there is evidence that hitler was bi :ph34r:

#10 Dino

Dino

Loyal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:23 AM

Cool!! Thanks everyone who posted for bits of info on history!! :D

#11 Jess

Jess

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:40 PM

that stuff is pretty neat..i knew about that because i had to look it up for a short story i wrote. :)

#12 Britt

Britt

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:50 PM

wow..thats pretty interesting...i wear my rainbow neclace with pride...and people are always like..hey..did you know that your neclace means your a lesbian....and im just like..i like it...its pretty funny..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users