Speaking One's Mind

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Sam!
Veteran

Re: Speaking One's Mind

Post by Sam! »

Originally posted by fruitloop@Aug 4 2003, 05:45 PM

Sammy, I don't think you should really be saying anymore on this subject now.

I don't understand why. Would you please explain in PM?
-Sam!
PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

So as I understand this, it basically gets on Heather's nerves when the staff get all angry and quite frankly stupid when someone has a different opinion other than their own. Basically I think mods just don't need to lash back when suddenly their seniority and accountability is put in check when a member or anyone disagrees with them. We here assume too much with that dreaded "online voice" which makes it entirely too difficult to determine what tone is being used in a post. If any member has a problem with a mod... I wonder if they would try to report them... but even if they did, it seems almost futile doesn't it? Because many people would single out that one person thinking that it's just the member who holds a grudge. If you've got the rest of the staff in disagreement with the member and no other members speaking up about the same view (if any have the same) then you're not likely to do anything about the mod. *shrug* It's all crazy here...
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
coolcatevie
Loyal

Post by coolcatevie »

it is pretty immature to ban someone when all they did was speak freely, 1st amendment anyone? you shouldnt cus you disrespect a mod but then the mods should jsut speak to them and mabey like put them in a time out or something
Lots of love,

Rachel

If you ever need any help I'm always here. Just contact me and I'll do the best I can!

Be OpTiMiStIc
PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

Hehe, a "timeout." In essence, and ban is a timeout. It's lifted after 2 weeks. Haha, I just say we delete the word "ban" and call it "timeout!" :P
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
She
Veteran

Post by She »

Yeah. I don't think she should be in trouble for saying "Having sex before marriage is wrong." Sure it's going to offend someone who has sex, but if you're having sex you're going to have to accept the fact that not everyone thinks it's the right thing to do and that some people disagree. You shouldn't be complaining because someone said "sex before marriage is bad". Most people here try to be a little more open-minded, yeah, but this girl (are we even sure on gender?) was a newbie. It's annoying when people want other people banned because they don't say things nicely. Sometimes you just can't sugar coat things. And sometimes things go over the edge, too, so mods have to step in. Bah. I don't know.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

Nobody should be allowed to come from a place of hate with their beliefs. Thats like saying we should let Prison Inmates out of prison. It don't give a f*** what anybody does/says, but 100% of the time they go into a topic and throw it off topic, a rule violation! That should not be aloud..

If they wanna create the topic "I fucking hate Gays" I don't care, just don't come into my damn topic and ruin it!
--nj

Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

Hahhahahaha.. Did someone delete Dustin's post.

Or did he delete it himself.

Ha

Ha

Ha
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
four
Veteran

Post by four »

No one has ever been banned for expressing their beliefs. Not on this site with this board in power. You may feel they have, but you haven't seen everything, or you have odd beliefs. We have a very clear set of rules, you follow them, and you can express your beliefs whenever you want, but when you break them, you pay the consequences. Plain and simple.
NAAM
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

Yeah, can we call a ban a "time out"? I think that's brilliant. Nobody should be banned for expressing themselves, but when a topic is closed, there is a reason. You don't repost it. I think I might take a break from the site starting Thursday, just until Sunday.
-Sam!
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

If I said and genuinely threatened people here based on my beliefs I would be banned, no doubt about it. It comes to a point of feeling safe. And if any member makes more then just a few members feel unsafe they should not be allowed here. By unsafe I mean, the sorta thing that makes it so people don't want to visit this site. I'm all up for different beliefs, even if I don't agree. But I think you all know what i'm talking about. I hate it when this site runs smoothly for a long time then all of a sudden there is something wrong [eg: what this topic entails]. It makes me feel like the whole site is in peril, this feeling resonates from the times when this place was taking that downward spiral. I know the admins won't let this happen but it seems at times like these [borderline riot] times the admins aren't doing anything to settle it.. I dunno.. i'm probably just over paranoid about this place going to hell in a handbag... i was here the last time that happened.. not a pretty site.. [no pun intended.]
--nj

sexyheather
Veteran

Post by sexyheather »

Originally posted by kneesofmybees@Aug 5 2003, 02:15 AM

If I said and genuinely threatened people here based on my beliefs I would be banned, no doubt about it. It comes to a point of feeling safe. And if any member makes more then just a few members feel unsafe they should not be allowed here. By unsafe I mean, the sorta thing that makes it so people don't want to visit this site. I'm all up for different beliefs, even if I don't agree. But I think you all know what i'm talking about. I hate it when this site runs smoothly for a long time then all of a sudden there is something wrong [eg: what this topic entails]. It makes me feel like the whole site is in peril, this feeling resonates from the times when this place was taking that downward spiral. I know the admins won't let this happen but it seems at times like these [borderline riot] times the admins aren't doing anything to settle it.. I dunno.. i'm probably just over paranoid about this place going to hell in a handbag... i was here the last time that happened.. not a pretty site.. [no pun intended.]

i know what scenarios you're referring to and i think that maybe certain staff members think that some statements are more of a threat than they really are.
The quote that saved my life, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
sexyheather
Veteran

Post by sexyheather »

Originally posted by four@Aug 5 2003, 01:50 AM

No one has ever been banned for expressing their beliefs. Not on this site with this board in power. You may feel they have, but you haven't seen everything, or you have odd beliefs. We have a very clear set of rules, you follow them, and you can express your beliefs whenever you want, but when you break them, you pay the consequences. Plain and simple.

i know that the member i referred to did other offensive things and im sure other members that i was speaking on behalf of had other problems too to cause them to be banned but i'm speaking about when they merely say a difference of opinion and it's held as a strike against them. THAT is unfair and ive seen it plenty around here.
four
Veteran

Post by four »

I have not seen it around here before. It is used as someone bitching about people, but not as a reason to ban someone. They have to have done things that actually break the rules.
NAAM
sexyheather
Veteran

Post by sexyheather »

Originally posted by four@Aug 6 2003, 05:30 AM

I have not seen it around here before. It is used as someone bitching about people, but not as a reason to ban someone. They have to have done things that actually break the rules.

definitely, but i think people look for reasons to incriminate people that annoy them and even if they have done bad stuff they should accuse them for THOSE things and not other petty things
Hara-Kiri
Veteran

Post by Hara-Kiri »

Originally posted by sexyheather@Aug 6 2003, 12:35 AM

definitely, but i think people look for reasons to incriminate people that annoy them and even if they have done bad stuff they should accuse them for THOSE things and not other petty things

That's exactly what happened to me.

But you all mods noticed that.
To feel the wind tearing at my clothes, the elements.

The only truth left in a world of lies and hypocrisy.

The beauty of the abyss.

The anticipation, like anticipating the greatest sex, an existential foreplay.

Looking down into oblivion and voidness.

The ground far, far away as it seems from here, but in reality only a couple of seconds away.

Standing there.

Feeling eternity in a restricted world.

Feeling a decision in a prefabricated existence.
She
Veteran

Post by She »

Originally posted by Hara-Kiri@Aug 7 2003, 01:51 PM

That's exactly what happened to me.

But you all mods noticed that.

Hara-Kiri! :woot: Finally!

I was afraid you wouldn't come back.

It's kind of hard to argue when mods get their own personal biases involved too. Bah.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
Hara-Kiri
Veteran

Post by Hara-Kiri »

Especially when its a Supermod on your back.

Oh and, I wouldnt miss the fun of coming back.
To feel the wind tearing at my clothes, the elements.

The only truth left in a world of lies and hypocrisy.

The beauty of the abyss.

The anticipation, like anticipating the greatest sex, an existential foreplay.

Looking down into oblivion and voidness.

The ground far, far away as it seems from here, but in reality only a couple of seconds away.

Standing there.

Feeling eternity in a restricted world.

Feeling a decision in a prefabricated existence.