Birdy

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Kiyotie
Veteran

Birdy

Post by Kiyotie »

This kind of goes along with the ants topic but it's my own verson.

So my dog is a bird dog, a Golden Retriever. He was outside playing with my mom when all of a sudden he charged at this wounded bird on the ground. My dog is extremely gentle and hasn't killed anything ever, so he just picked it up and didn't know what to do with it. (My mom is of course running at him and yelling while this is happening) He put it down a few times and picked it back up. Feathers were flying everywhere because the bird was panicking. My mom grabbed to dog and called me (the nature freak) out to take care of the bird because it was still alive. I managed to catch it and held it gently trying to see what was wrong with it and to maybe release it in a safer place. It was a really pretty black bird with a neon green head. So pretty.

Meanwhile I saw the bird die in my hands. It died of shock because I picked it up. I was so stupid! Me, of all people, the person who knows a lot about animals, picked up a wild bird! I killed it! I started crying and my mom took it away in a plastic bag.

I FEEL HORRIBLE!!
Whatever our failings may be, we need not lower our eyes in the presence of Jesus...Jesus comes not for the super-spiritual but for the wobbly and the weak-kneed who know they don't have it all together, and who are not too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace. As we glance up, we are astonished to find the eyes of Jesus open with wonder, deep with understanding, and gentle with compassion.

Cormamin lindua ele lle, Heruamin.
StephED

Re: Birdy

Post by StephED »

Hey,

Don't be so hard on yourself. I have a Lab, and it killed my pet bird... Although you may not have helped anything by picking up the wild bird, YOU did not do any harm. Chances are quite good that the bird was in the process of dieing of shock long before you picked it up. When a bird is caught by a dog, nomatter how gentle it is, the bird will freak out and injure itself inside the dogs mouth. If it had lived for a longer time after the dog had it, it most likely would have died from bacteria in the dogs mouth. - Birds are VERY susceptible. You did what any human would have done, and the odds are that the bird was a gonner either way. I'm not a vet, or even close, but I have helped my mom, who works for a Wild Life rescue team rehabilitate wild birds, so I know a little bit about them.

Steph
snsareformorons
Loyal

Post by snsareformorons »

you were trying to help it, thats all that matters
Imagine:

To stand on top of the highest cliff.

To feel the wind tearing at my clothes, the elements.

Looking down into oblivion and voidness.

The ground far, far away as it seems from here, but in reality only a couple of seconds away.

Standing there.

Feeling a decision in a prefabricated existence.

To draw the final breath,

To make that little step,

To know, that for once a decision was made,

To feel one foot above the abyss,

To think for a split second you can float in the air

To feel losing balance,

To fall,

To feel the cold wind violently caress you,

To see the ground coming closer,

Then to doubt

To wish yourself back to the top of the peak

the one that you are pacing away from.

Only to perish, knowing you cannot turn back
Kiyotie
Veteran

Post by Kiyotie »

Originally posted by snsareformorons@Aug 6 2003, 01:07 PM

you were trying to help it, thats all that matters

But I should have known better, I'm so stupid! That bird could still be alive. There was nothign worse than seeing it's eyes roll back and it's head go limp :crying:

But thanks for all the nice comments guys
Whatever our failings may be, we need not lower our eyes in the presence of Jesus...Jesus comes not for the super-spiritual but for the wobbly and the weak-kneed who know they don't have it all together, and who are not too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace. As we glance up, we are astonished to find the eyes of Jesus open with wonder, deep with understanding, and gentle with compassion.

Cormamin lindua ele lle, Heruamin.
Jess
Veteran

Post by Jess »

don't worry. you really were trying to help...and it would have died of shock anyways...i guess. haha.
Image the banana dance will live on!Image
pmfman
Veteran

Post by pmfman »

it is dogs nature to hunt, nothing is wrong with him/her.
"we have troubles all around us, but we are not defeated" - Corinthians

"only two things are infinate, the universe and stupidity" - Albert Einstein

"People standing on escalators are a testimony to human lazyness" - Christ Novolestic

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are" - Kurt Cobain

"Just because your paraniod it dosnt mean there not after you" - Kurt Cobain

"Peddle the ass that god gave you, buy nitrous" - Dave Ghrol
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

I think you did the best thing, you put it out of it's misery.. so to speak. It wouldn't have been the same after your dog attacked it anyway.. this is just part of nature.

I'm sorry you had to have a living thing die in your hands though, thats a horrible thing in itself to experience.
unoshawty
Veteran

Post by unoshawty »

Sorry. You'll be ok though. It's part of life. things live and things die. It probably died of shock because your dog was runnin around with him!! not cuz he saw you.
RIP Pat N. Glassman

<span style=\'color:gray\'My car is SOOO much better than yours =)

TCCA Ya heard?
Sky
Veteran

Post by Sky »

<span style=\'font-family:Times\'Something told the wild geese

It was tine to go

Through the fields lay golden

Something wispered- "SNOW"

Leaves were green and stirring

Berries,luster-glossed

But beneath the warm feathers