"large People" On Tv And Advertisments

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
ashie_is_sexi
Loyal

"large People" On Tv And Advertisments

Post by ashie_is_sexi »

hm.

I just wanted to coment about how there are never "large" people in kids cartoons, there are perfect. Expect in few eceptions, but in that case the kid is always picked on ect.

Like in harry potter- i thougt it was dumb how much J.K mentioned Dudly was over weight and his clothes didnt fit hairy. Like isnt that rude? i dont know. Blah, but i just tell ya whens the last person you saw a "large" person on tv? Roseann? Theres VERY few shoes with people who are more regular, and not stick figures. Just wanted to point this out and ask if anyone else sees this. Also like the people on McDonalds Commericals are all sticks, and trust me you DONT look like that if you love mcdonalds like they claim to..

ashley :wacko:
AshLeY-SieRra

my online-diary. if your interested.

{WiLL i EvEr BE THin EnOugh?}

This is Over my head-but underneath my feet.-Lifehouse.

I too once thought i was worth something-Alanis M.
Kiyotie
Veteran

Re: "large People" On Tv And Advertisments

Post by Kiyotie »

Like in harry potter- i thougt it was dumb how much J.K mentioned Dudly was over weight and his clothes didnt fit hairy. Like isnt that rude? i dont know.
No, I don't think so..It's the truth, you know? His clothes wouldn't fit him...he is overweight. There's nothign wrong with that. I am (not technically, but I could stand to loose about 10 lbs) overweight and I'm not offended by it. The skinny people on TV do make me jelous but it just encourages me to loose more weight. It isn't fair that there's so many of them though. I don't know.
Whatever our failings may be, we need not lower our eyes in the presence of Jesus...Jesus comes not for the super-spiritual but for the wobbly and the weak-kneed who know they don't have it all together, and who are not too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace. As we glance up, we are astonished to find the eyes of Jesus open with wonder, deep with understanding, and gentle with compassion.

Cormamin lindua ele lle, Heruamin.
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi ashley!! :)

GREAT MESSAGE!!

Yes - I absolutely agree with you. As someone who WAS picked on [for years] because of his excess weight - I can assure you - I was ALWAYS very aware of how 'large' people were represented in the media. [meaning tv shows, tv commercials, movies, etc.] The 'big person' has almost always been presented as a bafoon or a charactor worthy of scorn and disrepect. The 'fat guy' is almost always the 'odd one out' and not nearly as valuable or as important as the 'skinny' guy. [especially if the skinny guy is SHORT!!] BIG people are still an acceptable 'target' for the cruel among us. It's STILL ok [even in the year 2003] to make fun of someone because of their excess SIZE. It's one of the reasons - I suppose - that I've always wanted to BE a short skinny guy - because I was taught [through the media] that if you are short and skinny - you are worthy of LOVE.

The media better smarten up - and SOON. Upwards of 30% of teenagers in the U.S. are considered 'obese'. You can't hurt the feelings - directly OR indirectly of THAT many poeple and expect to get away with it. [at least not forever]

As for what Kiyotie said - I think it's QUITE a different thing if your life was all but destroyed because of the cruel remarks and comments of others. There is nothing encouraging [for someone who is truly overweight] about being told over and over again that 'you' are worth 'less' than everyone else. People often overeat BECAUSE they ALREADY feel bad about themselves.

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :D
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
ashie_is_sexi
Loyal

Post by ashie_is_sexi »

w000000000t w0000000t. Go Craig.
AshLeY-SieRra

archers_angel
Veteran

Post by archers_angel »

I totally totally agree with everything that Craig said, so im really just being facetious by saying this, HOWEVER, sex/beauty sells!

No-ones going to buy something if its being advertised by an obese person. Harsh, i know, but true. You cant really blame the advertising people, you can only blame society.
ashie_is_sexi
Loyal

Post by ashie_is_sexi »

yeah. im not blamming anyone. But look at the way eating disorders are rising off the charts. Somethings got to change..
AshLeY-SieRra

Zarah
Loyal

Post by Zarah »

I`ve noticed that too but also giving credit to irish tv the last year they have introduced more fuller figured men and women into their tv shows but when i turn on american tv- its all about being a stick insect.
*The greatest thing you`ll ever learn is just to love & be loved in return*
SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

Wow craig really does give really good advice and opinions. I have an eating disorder and alot of it started from seeing skinny people in magazines and on tv. Its like being any little bit over weight is unacceptable. If I saw more people that were at least at a normal weight it would probably change the view I have of what I should weigh.
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
TimeMachine9906
Loyal

Post by TimeMachine9906 »

J.K mentioned Dudly was over weight and his clothes

DUDLY WAS RUDE AND HE DESERVED IT! lol anyways.

Im starting to hate harry potters books, shes making them a little to mature and ridiculous she has definatly lost a reader.
So Let's Find A Bar

So Dark We Forget Who We Are

And All The Scars From The

Nevers And Maybes Die
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

I don't think it really matters, I guess I have no room to say that though seeing as how I'm not overweight (well I think I am, but my bmi says differently).

And in Harry Potter.. I think she did fine, she was just saying that Dudley was overweight she was trying to get the point across that he was OBESE and was a mean guy.

I've heard it's a form of writing even. If you notice, she goes on about Dudley in the first 2 books when Harry can't really get back at him himself. So she uses her writing to show that Harry is still the good guy.

And then in the later book when Harry sort of fights back, she doesn't go on about it as much because Harry doesn't need her.

It's away for the characters to come to life.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
Sosa
Loyal

Post by Sosa »

tv and reality..................big differance. no1 forces you to watch tv or watch wat u watch.you dont like it then turn it off and go listen to the radio where you dont see the people .
four
Veteran

Post by four »

This is not really something I pay too much attention to... It does not really matter to me. I am a good amount overweight, just a little shy of the obese mark on the BMI calculator, but I do not really care about it. Someone makes fun of me, I just remind me I could sit on them.
NAAM
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

I stopped watching TV months ago because it just lowered my self esteem. I got sick of seeing skinny people everywhere and making me feel bad because they were all leaping about and stuff and I wasn't.

Cream cakes are forever my friend.
Zarah
Loyal

Post by Zarah »

Originally posted by four@Aug 10 2003, 01:19 AM

Someone makes fun of me, I just remind me I could sit on them.

lol
*The greatest thing you`ll ever learn is just to love & be loved in return*
mistical16
Loyal

Post by mistical16 »

yeah the thing i dont understand is any person they do get on tv is always the evil one or the bully.there a bullys in real life that are extremely skinny yet there bullys. im not an overweight person myself but i hate discrimination and i hope this can soon change
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

I think all this is called "products of the media".. it's only the media which tells you you need to be a skinny twig. Nobody else does.

If they do, they aren't worth listening to anyway!