Citing Work

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
xolilsk8rchicaxo
Veteran

Citing Work

Post by xolilsk8rchicaxo »

dont you guys think that if you get work from a wesite and post it on here you should cite it with that website or who really wrote it or something like that? cuz otherwise its plagerism and wouldnt that rule apply here too? please answer back thanks!

**steff**
I've found a reason for me

To change who I used to be

A reason to start over new

and the reason is you

I've found a reason to show

A side of me you didn't know

A reason for all that I do

And the reason is you
Kiyotie
Veteran

Re: Citing Work

Post by Kiyotie »

Well when I do something like that I'm not technically claiming that I wrote it. At least that's how I view it. But of course in the real world I'm sure we SHOULD cite all works, which I try to remember to do. Eh I dunno.
Whatever our failings may be, we need not lower our eyes in the presence of Jesus...Jesus comes not for the super-spiritual but for the wobbly and the weak-kneed who know they don't have it all together, and who are not too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace. As we glance up, we are astonished to find the eyes of Jesus open with wonder, deep with understanding, and gentle with compassion.

Cormamin lindua ele lle, Heruamin.
Teardrop
Loyal

Post by Teardrop »

Plagiarism is only if you pass off someone elses work as your own for personal gain, whether it be financial or otherwise. I think.
i watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor.

that's my dream, that's my nightmare.

crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving.
xolilsk8rchicaxo
Veteran

and then theres the whole fact that on most websites it have more info related to that so you should link it so people can go there if they would like to...i dunno i jut think it is morally wrong

**stef**

and the reason is you

And the reason is you
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Originally posted by Teardrop@Aug 21 2003, 06:05 PM

Plagiarism is only if you pass off someone elses work as your own for personal gain, whether it be financial or otherwise. I think.
As a technicallity, that is not true.

dictionary.com says

n 1: a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work

Doesnt matter if it's for personal gain or not, if you claim it as your own and it isnt, regardless of the matter, its plagiarism.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
xolilsk8rchicaxo
Veteran

and it doesnt matter one way or another if they say "i wrote this" or the dont say it..theyre still putting it under their name and without a link or it being cited people automatically assume that you wrote it

**steff**

and the reason is you

And the reason is you
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by OverDrive+Aug 21 2003, 03:18 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (OverDrive @ Aug 21 2003, 03:18 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE' <!--QuoteBegin-Teardrop@Aug 21 2003, 06:05 PM

dictionary.com says

n 1: a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work

Doesnt matter if it's for personal gain or not, if you claim it as your own and it isnt, regardless of the matter, its plagiarism. [/b][/quote]

VERY true.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
Teardrop
Loyal

Post by Teardrop »

Originally posted by OverDrive@Aug 21 2003, 11:18 PM

dictionary.com says

Doesnt matter if it's for personal gain or not, if you claim it as your own and it isnt, regardless of the matter, its plagiarism.
Yeah, I went and chcked just after I posted. Although it's difficult to discern between whether someone is quoting something or passing it off as it's own work. If you were to make it neccessary for everyone to give credit to the original authors of everything written on here, I imagine people would take ages to do so.
i watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor.

that's my dream, that's my nightmare.

crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving.