Spanish?

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Toolrockgirl
Veteran

Spanish?

Post by Toolrockgirl »

ok im taking spanish one because the stupid school doesnt offer anything els and im like the only one in the class who doesnt know the language so the teacher is moving super fast...anyone know some tips on picking up the language fairly quick???
weeble and bob

One of my favorites
Daddys_Lil_Defect
Loyal

Re: Spanish?

Post by Daddys_Lil_Defect »

I thought spanish one was for beginners? Anyways, maybe get extra help? If you know french, that would help too....other than that, i really dont know
princess_of_everything
Loyal

Post by princess_of_everything »

do ur friends know the language or something? cuz u could work with them...or ask ur teacher for a little more help
everything is okay in the end. if it's not okay, then it's not the end.
faith
Veteran

Post by faith »

idk just hit the books and study and memorize and if u dont undersatnd somehting raise ur hand ask questions or stay after school
~God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. psalm 46:1-2

~God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself Genesis 1:27

~Stop judging others, and u will not be judged. Stop criticizing others, or it will all come back on u. Luke 6:37

~There are "friends" who destroy eachother but a real freind sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

~A fool is quick tempered but a wise person stays calm when insulted. Proverbs 12:16

~The tounge is a small thing but what enormous damage it can do. James 3:5

~Even if my father and mother abandon me the Lord will hold me close. Psalm 27:10

~Get rid of all bitterness...instead be kind to eachother Ephesians 4:31-32

God bless

Love in christ--chelsea
SweetMe57
Loyal

Post by SweetMe57 »

Originally posted by Daddys_Lil_Defect@Aug 26 2003, 08:27 PM

I thought spanish one was for beginners? Anyways, maybe get extra help? If you know french, that would help too....other than that, i really dont know
nope, spanish intro is for beginners
<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (SpargoMn @ Sep 18 2003, 02:39 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'Love is just testing you pushing you to the limit, the point where you will be given the chance of true love is the point just past when you should completely give up.? Fight on past your limits and forge new ground in your soul, and you will be amazed.</td</tr</table<div class='signature'
OurLadyOfSorrows
Needs Another Hobby

Post by OurLadyOfSorrows »

Im sure you'll be able to pick it up quite quickly. Most of the stuff i did at the beginning of spanish i never really used for anything else, they just cover the basics and you should be able to cover them quite quickly. Ask for extra lessons or get some books. If you ever want some help feel free to PM me, although im not great at Spanish i'll always do my best to help
I can resist everything except temptation - Silverstein
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

And be sure to buy some Spanish magazines. I think there's a Spanish language 'People' magazine - for instance. That might help. I'd love to learn how to speak spanish. I've always been somewhat embarrassed by the fact that I can only speak English. I've even bought 'Spanish for Beginners' CD-ROMS. But I guess it's not going to do me any good until I open them up!!! lol

"Never frown upon the opportunity to become a smarter person" - CanadaCraig

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :D
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
chsgirlie2007
Loyal

Post by chsgirlie2007 »

Maybe you could get a spanish tutor(someone that is better at it that is in your class)....I am in Spanish too. We haven't started learning the language though. Hehe

Sarah
Before I met you I never knew what it was like to just look at someone and smile for no reason.

I wanna be remembered as the girl who always smiles, even when her heart is broken and the one who could always brighten up your day even if she couldn't brighten up her own.
TheForsakenFemale
Dedicated

Post by TheForsakenFemale »

Im in 3rd year and iv done spanish since primary 6. Its pretty hard not know what the others do, and if I can help, PM me! Id be happy to help!

Leah x x x
SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

I'm can speak spanish pretty well. PM me if you'd like help. Here are some tips:

1. Listen carefully when people are speaking in class, but don't try to understand every word they say. By listening to what other ppl are saying u will be able to pick up on the language easier.

2. Talk a lot in Spanish. The more u express ur self, the easier it will become and the less afraid u will be to mess up when u are speaking outside of the class.

3. Read Spanish as often as possible. magazines,books,newspapers, ets. Even signs and instructions. Try to read what u can and see the basic idea of what its trying to say. If u don't understand a word just skip it. Basically, ur just trying to get the point of the story.

4. Go over and review the oral activities u do in class and the vocabulary words that u learn by studying them u will become more familiar and u will get to us the language more.

5. Try ur best to learn the grammar. Alot of like finals and test will be of the grammar ur teacher teaches in class.

6. As for help. If u don't understand a certine concept or they are moving too fast ask ur teacher to explaine it to u easier.

I was able to learn to speak spanish really well after about 7-8 months because I went to Spain and lived with the exchange family. It was hard at first but after a while it became easier. The english language is much harder to learn and the concepts are much hard to know. With spanish once u learn verbs and how to change them its pretty much just learning vocab.
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
OurLadyOfSorrows
Needs Another Hobby

Post by OurLadyOfSorrows »

I think spanish is harder. You have different endings for different sexes and about 10 words in a sentence that here would probably have 3.
I can resist everything except temptation - Silverstein
SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

Thats true but I ment easier with concepts.
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
tornbutterfly
Loyal

Post by tornbutterfly »

My spanish teacher(he didn't write the poem lol) handed out this poem for us... it might inspire you...

RECIPE FOR SUCCESS IN LANGUAGE STUDY (its kinda long but worth it)

It sure is a change from the summer routine

Here we are again on the academic scene.

It's a privilege to have everyone of you in class,

And my greatest desire is for each of you to pass.

To that end, let me offer you some clues

For foreign language study which I'm sure

that you can use.

Trust me, y'all, here's some free advice:

If you plan to take it easy, buddy, do think twice.

Thos who just do the minimum and try to get by

Are on the road to failure Let me tell you why.

If you pay attention in any other class

And do your homework, you'll be sure to pass.

Lets' say you flunk your test on the Revolution

You can still ace the unit on the Constitution.

You never understood the

Linclon-Douglas debates ,

But you were really dogging on the war between the states.

With a foreign language its a different situation.

You cant move ahead without a strong foundation

Everything's related to what you learned before.

As you master it in stages, you can learn even more.

If the subject pronouns don't make any sense,

Then how the heck you gonna use the present tense?

And reading assignments can be might hairy

If you never studied the vocabulary.

If you cram for the tests, you'll never do it.

But when you study every night,

then there's nothign to it.

Hwo to succeeed? THere's only one way:

You listen in class and you study every day

Without this habbit, you're in for frustration,

ANd a multitude of problems of your own creation.

Pl,aying catch-up ball is tough, lets' face it

And once you get an F it's hard to erase it

I once had a student He said, "Gee I'm lost"

I want to catch up no matter what the cost."

"I'm delighted to help you, I can see your plight,"

I said, "but first you've got to tell me,

"Do you study every night?

He finised first semsster with a 53

And was convinced that in the second

he could pull a C

A praise worthy goal though it may seem,

The kid was just pursuiing the impossible dream.

He coulnd't understand that his

concerne was belated. the story

you can very well guess.

Revent this scenario from happening to you.

You can save yourself the problem

with a daily review.

If you want to do well, take some friendly advice:

Invest a half-hour -- it's worth the price

How you do in this course is your decision.

You are limited only by the scope of your vision.

Wihth confidence and disicipline,

you're on the right track.

I wish you all luck and welcome back.
-by Karen M. Hatcher a Spanish Teacher
The whole idea of fitting in is crazy to me.

Why would you want to be just like everyone else?

The same old stuff. How great not to be.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

spanish 1...a.k.a. "Dime Uno"...in our school is for beginners...our teacher does speak over many peoples heads so don't worry...just talk to your teacher about extra help...go down there during a study hall and get some help. It is kinda difficult, but after you figure it out it makes a lot more sence!!

the main key that will help you in the all of spanish is to memorize the verbs in the same order that they give you

Yo:

Tu:

singlar---el, ella, udstede:

nostoros:

plural---els, ellas, udstedes:

that will help you alot!!

if you need any help pm me...i am in my second year and will be happy to help you!
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Ok I speak about 10-15 words of Spanish, but I do speak German, French, and a li'l bit of Ancient Greek (like... I remember how to conjegate verbs and stuff, but my vocab has gone to crap).

The first thing you need to try and identify is what type of a learner you are. Auditory (Does hearing things help)? Visual (drawings, diagrams and things)? Oral (You need to speak it to understand it)? Any combination of those, plus a few others I can't think of at the moment? Once you identify that, getting help and learning becomes much easier. Personally, I am a very oral oriented person (which sucks because I'm in a German Lit class), so I learn best when I am speaking the language. I'm not however, very good at the whole "immersion" thing that language teachers are so keen on now-a-days (can you tell I don't like that idea?). I use my taking 4 years of high school (non 'immersion') German, and then coming here and placing out of German 101,102,201, AND 202, into German 250 (most people pass out of 2 semesters of a language at most) as evidence that non-immersion methods can work. I also use my friend Lara, who spent a year in Germany not knowing any German at first. She came out with a huge vocabulary, but her grammer was, and still is horrendous, as another example of why immersion isn't a good idea. But I digress...

The number one piece of advice I can give you not knowing how you like to learn is: make the language subconsious. That sounds pretty formidable, but it is the easiest way to get competent at a language, because it takes out an entire step of the cognitive process. You'll read/hear the spanish, and then, instead of having to translate it word for word before you can understand it, you can understand the language as that language, instead of its English translation. Now, how do you go about making the language subconsious? Repitition, repitition, repatition. You need to see a word, hear it, and understand it, over, and over, and over again. It takes practice, but it's very possible, and it's the easiest way to handle learning a language.

Another thing that is very very useful. GRAMMER! Get your grammer down pat. Know the case (masculine, feminine, neuter (if you are in German)) of every noun. Know the conjugation forms (if Spanish is anything like German and French there will be a distinct pattern to the verb endings). Know the pronouns. Good grammer is something that is very very important for being able to understand the language.

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

What about modern greek ?
lash
Loyal

Post by lash »

i'm in spanish and alread within 2 days, we've got aout 25 phrases to keep in our heads and an exam tomorrow. :wacko: spanish actually comes pretty easy for me, but that's only because i spent 5 yrs of my life with a mexican babysitter and she spoke mostly spanish. i had to pick up phrases for when i was hungry, tired, etc. it's only because you don't have much of an advantage. the thing that i do to keep up is to make flash cards.
Turning over in interrupted slumber,

You ponder others, growing ever wakeful,

You've locked the vermin in the other bedroom,

To be so perfect causes you to feel so thankful,

Now find the fault because your boyfriend can't read,

Reflecting on to you is all the bitterness you need,

So unhappy, yet so preoccupied,

Never found beaten down with your forked tongue tied.

Your eulogy is like poetry,

But your mouth is like a magazine.

Queen dependency is cowering, please don't be confused,

You are vacant and submissive, receptive to abuse,

Virtue isn't tangible, and sense of self is dated,

Names constant on your cracked lips are now eviscerated,

Your spine is made of metal, Your veins are bound in electric tape,

And all along an impulse lights at random in your face,

Yough cought up an offering and forget which words are lies,

Then your skull echoes a singeing pop, as your brain is cauterized.

-"Mouth Like A Magazine" Showbread