Ummm.......

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Ummm.......

Post by Jaegermeister »

frankly I hate the SG's but i realize they are a large part of teenhelp, so i stay objectional and keep them. The reason why i hate them is there is TOO much to look over, TOO much to moderate, and TOO much back end admin stuff to upkeep the Support Groups.... hence why we have 4 SG admins and 2 Chat admins.
(that is Overdrive in this thread)

Um wow... that's not very joyous coming from the webmaster. Why don't you hire more people to help you moderate? Consolidate forums? Create more admin positions? I think that the support groups are a completely feasible and doable idea as long as you have enough people to do so. I also think a well run forum will pretty much run itself. Just, to hear the webmaster say that he hates a large part of his website really disheartened me and made me lose some of my faith in humanity.................. Perhaps if you hate this part of the site so much you should take it down or resign from your duties? These groups are 100 strong, and that's saying something, no matter how you want to look at it.

Some thoughts I had. Did anyone else have that reaction when they read that?

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
OverDrive
Veteran

Re: Ummm.......

Post by OverDrive »

Yep, that's so true, but to keep the Support Groups healthy and not corrupted like what happend with skog, feyr and others, Admin posistions are limited but we have just opened the SG Staff apps, so that should start bringing in the staff.

As for the SG's being a large part of the site, yes its true, however I didnt realize it until i took it down for a redo, but our email system really REALLY is the biggest part of teenhelp. Now people could possibly argue that, i mean i did, i thought the SGs were more popular than our email system (Get Help), but once i took it down, i have SO MANY FEEDBACK REQUESTS asking where it went and to bring it back.

I dont do anything on these SGs in terms of moderate, or anything like that. I do the odd modification of a post when im slowly reading, i dont read 99% of the forums, and i dont need to. My job is to make the bulk of you people happy, so i do things i dont want to do (HOWEVER i do a crapload of stuff i do want to do, so the little upkeep of the SG's is not even a drop of sweat).

I have no intentions of resigning, in fact, after school ends feb 28th, I will have a bit more time to work on the site..... but not much as my jobhunt begins.

I realize the SG's are a large part of teenhelp, just as the chat and the email system... 33.3333% each part (on average)... with the .00001% being other parts, feedback, teen poll, articles, resources, sponsers and guestbook sections.

I love teenhelp, and i dont mind reading parts of the SG's, just i would hate to try and moderate them because of the amount of users we get, the amount posts that happen, and the vast sections of the SGs... but in reality, teenhelp wouldnt be the same without it. I'm not a dictator, I'm objectionable and the SG's are much a part of the TeenHelp site as the chat (which is my specialty). The support groups will never go down (pending server problems) and i have no intention of giving up a wonderful way of helping teens by managing this website with my fellow Admins.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

The fact is, this is a Forum. It's a forum network - a social gathering. Don't build your self image based on what other people think of you, on or off forums. If you come onto the forums because it's more important to you than blood, you should probably invest some money in counseling. Don't get all emotional over what happens on here.

A modefied exerpt from an IRC Operator's manual from Game Insiders
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

??Evol_AFI??
Loyal

Post by ??Evol_AFI?? »

yeah....i agree...i mean i come here to help people...but im not obsessed, i mean this isnt a fucking ONLINE SOAP OPERA, lol.....for me this is the BEST way to kill time.
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Thanks for clearing that up for me OverDrive, I was just kind of wierded out when I heard you say that. It's all good though.

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Evan
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Evan »

i assume it is hard for overdrive to accept more moderaters to help out, bexouse he would have to find wich ones would be sutible for that position.

im sure alot of poeple would abuse that position (sadly poeple do that).
my 2 cents.....
She
Veteran

Post by She »

Do you really need to reply to every topic, regardless of how much you're actually contributing?
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
Evan
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Evan »

Originally posted by She@Feb 11 2003, 12:21 AM

Do you really need to reply to every topic, regardless of how much you're actually contributing?
I SUPOSE YOUR TALKING TO ME

??? :o

well i dont think im violating any rules of the support groups so as long as im not i can do whatever i want on here but if i am violating a rule by replying to poeple no matter what a dumb a*s i am i would gladly fix my problem and if it come to it i would leave teenhelp for good if i was questioned or told by a moderater (other than you) or admin of teenhelp to leave, i would. sorry i dont messure up to your standards.

General Provision #2 violation.
my 2 cents.....
Jess
Veteran

Post by Jess »

meanwhile, i applyed for a moderator position...do you guys think that i'd be a good moderator?
Image the banana dance will live on!Image
Evan
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Evan »

seeing some of your recent post i think you might be but there are probly alot of other poeple here that have been here longer and have alot more post (nothing against you) i certanly am low on the amount of post.

but i guees what ever flips the admin and mods boats.
my 2 cents.....
She
Veteran

Post by She »

Originally posted by keozu+Feb 11 2003, 03:15 AM--<div class='quotetop'QUOTE(keozu @ Feb 11 2003, 03:15 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-She@Feb 11 2003, 12:21 AM

I SUPOSE YOUR TALKING TO ME

??? :o

well i dont think im violating any rules of the support groups so as long as im not i can do whatever i want on here but if i am violating a rule by replying to poeple no matter what a dumb a*s i am i would gladly fix my problem and if it come to it i would leave teenhelp for good if i was questioned or told by a moderater (other than you) or admin of teenhelp to leave, i would. sorry i dont messure up to your standards. [/b]
I apologize, I was in a bad mood and I shouldn't have said that. You don't not measure up to my standards, I was just in a bad mood and said something I shouldn't have. I'm sorry. :|
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

Evan
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Evan »

im also sorry i said that to. :(
my 2 cents.....
She
Veteran

Post by She »

No hard feelings then ;) *hugs*

*frowns* OD editted my post? Where? *confused*

Evan
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Evan »

awell some wireid things have been goin on today..................
my 2 cents.....
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

caps out of ur quote :P violation of General provision #2
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Evan
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Evan »

sorry for using caps i guees "she's" ost would have not been edited if hadent of been for me lol :lol:
my 2 cents.....
She
Veteran

Post by She »

It all makes sense now! :P Thanks.

Whoo, well, off to practice my music some more... I'll now refrain from spamming this post any further. ;)