Algebra 2

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
XC Sabreur
Loyal

Algebra 2

Post by XC Sabreur »

Can someone please explain to me how to graph an equation? For example, one of the homework problems is " y= -2x-3. So how would i graph that? If anyone can help it is appreciated. Thank you :)
I'm a moderator of the Family/Friends forum, and Relationships! If you ever need help with anything, feel free to email, IM, or PM me.

For those of you wondering what my name means, here it is. The XC stands for Cross Country, because I run cross country and I run distance in track for my school. And Sabreur because I fence sabre in my spare time. And no, its not a lightsabre.

And if anyone else here fences or runs cross country or track, PM me ! we should talk sometime, I love running and fencing :D
Emily
Veteran

Re: Algebra 2

Post by Emily »

Do you not have a graphing calculator?

I highly recommend you get one.. You'll use it tons and tons in Alg. 2. TI 83 or something.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
blah~blah
Loyal

Post by blah~blah »

oooh just found the best site for you!!! It graphs stuff for you. gOOD LUCK! :D CLICK!
Have you ever tried to step in my shoes?

Have you ever tried to balance on that beam?

And if you ever tried to step in my shoes

They'll never be quite as soft as they seem.

-incubus
XC Sabreur
Loyal

Post by XC Sabreur »

Wow, that site is sweet. Thanks a bunch, I see what to do now. Its cool, thanks again.
I'm a moderator of the Family/Friends forum, and Relationships! If you ever need help with anything, feel free to email, IM, or PM me.

For those of you wondering what my name means, here it is. The XC stands for Cross Country, because I run cross country and I run distance in track for my school. And Sabreur because I fence sabre in my spare time. And no, its not a lightsabre.

And if anyone else here fences or runs cross country or track, PM me ! we should talk sometime, I love running and fencing :D
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

Well although that site may be good, I figured I'd explain it since you won't have it in an exam

y= -2x - 3 is in the form y = mx + c so therefore the graph is a straight line.

In the form y = mx + c,

m = gradient

c = y-intercept

The gradient is the steepness of the slope of the line right? and that's vertical height/horizontal distance.

The y-intercept is where the line crosses the y axis

So, if the equation was y = 3x - 4

m = 3

c = -4

Anyway, in your case, m = -2 and c = -3

So (if you're using graph paper you can be more accurate) plot the point (0, -3) (on the y axis x = 0) on the y axis for the intercept.

The line would slope from the top left to bottom right since the gradient is negative.

And in this case m=-2. So, that's -2/1 ... OR ... That's vertical height over horizontal distance, do you know how to plot that?

you could also find another point on the line and join the two rather than going through plotting the gradient

Find out where it crosses the x axis. On the x axis y=0 so substitute that in your formula.

Apologies for any mistakes i made!
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
blah~blah
Loyal

Post by blah~blah »

I thought it was y=mx+b...mabye i'm just dumb...i doubt it matters anyways...
Have you ever tried to step in my shoes?

Have you ever tried to balance on that beam?

And if you ever tried to step in my shoes

They'll never be quite as soft as they seem.

-incubus
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

Yeah same thing. so you use b as the y intercept??

we use the equation in the form of y = mx + c
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
She
Veteran

Post by She »

y=mx+b

This is slope-intercept form. m is the slope of the line (rise over run) and b is the point where the line intercepts the y axis (called the y-intercept).

You'll also see things in standard form:

Ax+By=C

To get it into slope intercept form so you can plot it: -A/B (the opposite of A divided by B) = m (the slope) and C/B (C divided by B)=b (the small b in slope-intercept form--B and b are not the same in these).

So if you have the equasion 2x+3y=5

2 divided by 3 is 2/3 (fraction), and the opposite of that is a negative so m=-2/3 (also your slope).

5 divided by 3 is 5/3 (fraction), so that's 5/3=b (the y-intercept).

In slope intercept form that's:

y=-2/3x+5/3

So on your coordinate grid you find the Y axis (up and down) and put a dot on it at positive 5/3. Then count down two whole numbers, and to the right three whole numbers. Put another dot, and from there count down another two and right another three. Then draw a line connecting the points and extending beyond with little arrows at the ends.

Hope this helps. If you need any more help, PM me or whatnot.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

well, in calc if you ever take it, you wont be allowed to use a graphing calculator. But something you should know is:

y=m(x-a)+b

if you have any variables in the a spot, it will affect how the graph moves left t right. If the thing says (x-1), it moves right 1 spot. And positive moves left. the slope is m, so you should be able to make a decent graph.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill