Job

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
TheLastKiss
Loyal

Job

Post by TheLastKiss »

for the past 2 years i've been trying to get a job. i dress all nicely when i go to apply at places, not things i would normally wear. i have my makeup all conservatively, no hair in my face, no jewelry, i don't have any peircings, i'm polite, all please and thank yous, i look right at the person when i'm talking to them as opposed to looking at anything but them like i usually do. i put on the application that i can work at any time and i'll take whatever is available. yet i can't seem to get a job. i live 20 minutes out of the way of everything, so i didn't know if that's why noone will hire me. i need a job because i need money to pay for a car and the insurence and most of my schooling for next september. i'm planning on working 2 jobs over next summer so that i'll be able to afford the cost of living. but that can't happen if i can't even get a first job. what have i been doing wrong? how can i get a job?
i would wish upon a star

but that star it doesn't shine
Kristina
Veteran

Re: Job

Post by Kristina »

Constantaly look for job openings, and when you go to fill an application at some place, be persistant, keep calling them untill you get a direct answer!
There's always someone cooler than you
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

Look in the paper for places with job openings. Show up the day it was listed in the newspaper, dress really nice, turn in your app, and ask to talk to the hiring manager and bug them about it. Then keep calling them until they hire you.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

One million deaths is a statistic" ~Joseph Stalin
andi
Loyal

Post by andi »

yes, be polite, but dont forget to be friendly! dont act shy or anything like that.

say HI, i'm (your name) and i'm good at blah blah blah. the object is to have some energy in what you're saying (dont act psycho or ne thing) but be personable and friendly. a lot of things that people look for is if you would be good interacting with customers. what kind of places are you applying to? also when it asks for how much you'd expect to make, try to find out what their starting rate is, and go with that. companies like people who dont cost a lot. remember, you can always get a raise!

good luck
"These are the days worth living, these are the years worth giving, these are the moments, these are the times, lets make the most out of our lives"
TheLastKiss
Loyal

Post by TheLastKiss »

i do act very friendly and everything. i always look for places to be hiring and than i apply at them. i don't know what's wrong with me. i'm unhirable. even at the places where they'll hire "anyone" no matter who it is. i can't even get jobs at those places. i've applied at resturants and drug stores and a nursing home and a daycare center, and basically everywhere that there is to work at in the tiny town of northcrapland in which i attend school. but noone will hire me. it wouldn't be so bad if i didn't really need the money to pay for the cost of living. perhaps i'm defective.
i would wish upon a star

but that star it doesn't shine
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

You seemed most concerned with your image when you described yourself there. Maybe it's not all about that. Try looking up some interview techniques or checking out the qualifications you require. I doubt it would be about how far away you live because it's up to you how you get there, thats your responsibility
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace