Bandwidth And Hosting

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
She
Veteran

Bandwidth And Hosting

Post by She »

I'm in charge of my band's website and I've got pretty much everything except a host and a domain (which I will get after I've already secured hosting). It looks like I'm going to be in charge of finding and probably buying hosting, though I'll hopefully be reimbursed. So if you know any good hosts, that would be awesome too. But what I need help with is figuring out the bandwidth I'll need monthly.

The site itself is no more than 100k: 8 HTML files linked to an external CSS document and a 20k header picture on each.

The picture section on the site is what I'm concerned about. I'm expecting about a hundred pictures when all is said and done, compressed JPEGs. The thumbnails will all be on one page, with the larger dimension 150 px. Each individual picture (which won't be on an HTML page, but just linked to) should be no more than 500px on the longer dimension. I'm not sure how big that will make the picture collection. Any guesses?

There's about 80 people in the band who will probably each access it at least twice a month on average each, plus people not in the band who come take a look. So we should be getting pretty decent traffic. We might also be adding other multimedia to the site in the future.

Well, I've never had to worry about traffic or a big site before so I honestly don't know what a reasonable range is. I don't want to underbuy and have the site go under in the first week or pay twenty bucks a month when we only use four megs of bandwidth.

Thanks in advance,

She
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
Nj
Veteran

Re: Bandwidth And Hosting

Post by Nj »

http://www.globat.com

http://www.powweb.com

http://www.whizhost.com

3 nice hosts, I use whizhost, and I love Plesk!!! Their all cheap and very reliable hosting firms, I don't recommend anything else because I honestly don't see the point of paying more then $12.00 a month for something you can very well do on your own PC... anyrate, Good luck!!
--nj

OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

http://www.adamj.org/links/#webhosting

This is a link to my personal list of webhosts that are cheap and good. Hope you can find something useful there.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
She
Veteran

Post by She »

Thanks to both of you.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8