So Just Out Of Curiosity

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
She
Veteran

So Just Out Of Curiosity

Post by She »

What are the new server specs?
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Re: So Just Out Of Curiosity

Post by SirPostAlot »

...could you be more informative? :shy: sorry, i am not good w/ computer language...so what exactly is a server spec?
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

a server spec = computer spec...

spec = specifications...

A server is a computer just like yours that's connect to the net and serves webpages. So your processor speed, memory, etc are "specs" and server specs are that of the serving computer..

Also, as these serving computers are often owned by companies that run special programs on these computers, and these computers have multiple users, there is a divvying up of the computers resources, like, 500 megabytes of hard-disk space, less the 10% memory useage, etc. And internet traffic takes up resources on our fibre optic lines, etc, this is referred to as bandwidth, so these "Servers" have bandwidth limitations as well..
--nj

She
Veteran

Post by She »

Originally posted by ~*~AiM_uSeR~*~@Nov 11 2003, 08:59 PM

...could you be more informative? :shy: sorry, i am not good w/ computer language...so what exactly is a server spec?
And here I thought they were being overprotective when they didn't post the specs for fear of confusion.

Nick explained it pretty well. Specs are the specifications for a piece of technology (computer, palm pilot, server, et cetera).
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Pentium 4 2.8GHz with Hyper-threading technology. 1024mb DDR ram.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
She
Veteran

Post by She »

Unix/Linux or Windows?

OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Unix, FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE: compiled Thu Nov 6 20:54:08 EST 2003

The Hyper-Threading makes it work as a duel CPU @ 2.8 Gig
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
phillip
Loyal

Post by phillip »

LOL. Hyper threading doesn't make it like a duel processor. Hyper threading only works with some applications, and it has never been proven to be much faster than a normal processor. Two cars on a one lane road don't speed up traffic any!
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

Originally posted by phillip@Nov 12 2003, 02:14 PM

LOL.? Hyper threading doesn't make it like a duel processor.? Hyper threading only works with some applications, and it has never been proven to be much faster than a normal processor.? Two cars on a one lane road don't speed up traffic any!

changing the speed limit does.

hyper threading increases the number of "transactions" that can be processed at the same time, its compared to dual processing, "Hyper-Threading Technology provides thread-level-parallelism (TLP) on each processor resulting in increased utilization of processor execution resources. As a result, resource utilization yields higher processing throughput. Hyper-Threading Technology is a form of simultaneous multi-threading technology (SMT) where multiple threads of software applications can be run simultaneously on one processor." [www.intel.com]

In essence its muchly alike to dual processing, HIGHER THROUGHPUT, dual hyperthreading processors would be better yet, I hope you've all noticed how much faster teenhelp is on this new server...
--nj

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Hyper-threading, while not nearly as powerful as a dual processor...it really is kind of like having two different processors since it handles more stuff. However, the hyper-threading technology is limited and doesn't really provide as much as an increase your making it out to be.
HelpingTeens.org:

Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

Originally posted by Skye@Nov 12 2003, 07:44 PM

Hyper-threading, while not nearly as powerful as a dual processor...it really is kind of like having two different processors since it handles more stuff. However, the hyper-threading technology is limited and doesn't really provide as much as an increase your making it out to be.

yeah, would you rather have a processor without the hyperthreading technology?
--nj

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by Nick+Nov 12 2003, 05:47 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (Nick @ Nov 12 2003, 05:47 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-Skye@Nov 12 2003, 07:44 PM

yeah, would you rather have a processor without the hyperthreading technology?[/b][/quote]

It wouldn't matter...really. Go look up some performance stats.

Hyper-threading isn't that big of a performance increase.
HelpingTeens.org:

Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

Originally posted by Skye+Nov 12 2003, 07:56 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (Skye @ Nov 12 2003, 07:56 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'
Originally posted by Nick@Nov 12 2003, 05:47 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Skye
@Nov 12 2003, 07:44 PM

yeah, would you rather have a processor without the hyperthreading technology?
It wouldn't matter...really. Go look up some performance stats.

Hyper-threading isn't that big of a performance increase.[/b][/quote]

just like a 1.2 celeron and 1.2 P4.... :lol: Hyperthreading is designed for increased productivity, simple, how big of an increase is irrelevent.
--nj

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

wow...i am still lost...i am just going to leave this topic...i am getting a head ache!