How I & Probably Other Smart Ppl Got Screwed Over

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
MattMan
Veteran

How I & Probably Other Smart Ppl Got Screwed Over

Post by MattMan »

Okay I just want to express my hatred of the world and their lack of ability to assess ability.

I got screwed over and put in kindergarden a year late (cut off date for age was 3 weeks earlier than my birthday). When I finally did get to kindergarden, we learned our ABC's (which I had already learned by then anyways) and our basic reading (don't remember doing math). While most kids were getting their parents to read to them, I was forced to be reading to myself (my parents worked ALOT when I was little and omg am i thankful for that).

The teachers saw me speed reading through those little 15 page clifford and bearanstein bear books, so they decided to try me in a grade 1 classroom. Little did I know that my life's worst enemy, reading comprehension, would meet me there. I read the story, and answered the questions as best i could. Unfortunately for me "name two red things" (and other notorious questions) meant name two red things FROM THE STORY. I was put back in the kindergarden class the next day.

From then on I suffered the fate that everyone of high intelligence does, boredom. I was bored right from grade one (hey in kindergarden there was play time!) all the way up until now, and now when I have to work, I feel like giving up because of all those years of such a soft upbringing from my teachers. Yup, I hate school now. Not because it's boring anymore, but because it screws us all over by having so many people put together in one class, and no individual attention (i am not saying i should've been home schooled, I would've hated that) I think that what north america needs is more teachers. Not just classroom teachers but private tutors as well.

All these years my parents have been pushing me, of course, but in the wrong way. they act like school comes first, then happiness, so you can go and make lots of money so that when we get old we won't have to (to them, it doesn't matter if i have any happiness in my life)

It may be too late for me, but i hope to see to it that future generations get the education they deserve!

Thank you for reading this (all of those that did). I feel a little bit better, and now, i feel as though my lifes work will be as a teacher to prevent this sort of thing from happening to other people and ruining their lives!

oh and by the way, i'm getting like an 86 average (probly higher) but i feel like i have to work my butt off, and then there's the people who really have to work their butt off (study, as i never do, reread their notes, do extra credit, like i never have had to in my life) and they don't even complain when they get 75's (i'd never be happy with myself)
MMTSurfer
Loyal

Re: How I & Probably Other Smart Ppl Got Screwed Over

Post by MMTSurfer »

dude im one of the smartest kids in my school but im just bored with school and i dont try but you wanna know what really turned me off of school its when i bust my ass and apply myself and these lazy fucks in special ed get all the answers from their teachers it pisses me off royally
flavaoftheweak
Veteran

Post by flavaoftheweak »

ah the grade skipping. i was asked to skip from kindergarten to grade 2, but my parents said no because they had been skipped and hated the age difference, and so i was put into a gifted program. it was the first in the state for kindergarteners.

im bored with school, not because im smart (i am, but i really dont have to try to get an A, i barely even study for tests), but because what they are teaching is simple, and is a once in life thing. unless your going to be a geneticist, biology doesnt need to be paid attention to fully, so instead of really loving biology and soaking it up, I and im sure many others just memorize the information. sure i remember that the protein bonds are connected to the phosphate bonds and not the dioxyribose in DNA (i think :P), but none of it really STANDS OUT unless i think hard about it. ya know what i mean?
lets unwravel the egde of time...

without the bad times, the good times wouldnt be so sweet.

BAOF!

its the little things people say that make your whole day worthwile...
MattMan
Veteran

Post by MattMan »

the thing is, there is not a big age difference, and now i have my work ethic all screwed up because i had no challenges (school wise) except in grade 5 and 8. i don't study at all, and get 90's on most of my tests. now next year i plan to go into IB (International something or another, advanced classes) because i know i can do it, the problem is i'm gonna go insane with all the homework that i'm gonna have (you basically take all of your compulsories, math and english at an accellerated rate, and get only one spare for grade 10, two for grade 11, and i think 3 or 4 for grade 12)

yup, although you might not see how, i think im kinda gonna be screwed until i figure out a way not to go insane from lack of a social life.

nobody probly knows what i feel, but i just have to get this outta my system. either that or invent a time machine to go and tell the people who made this decision WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING!!

yeah, i'm screwed. at least if i'm not screwed for high school and my post-secondary education, i'm screwed for living in the work world.
flavaoftheweak
Veteran

Post by flavaoftheweak »

lmao, you want to go to IB? wow. i was accepted the first day of school, spent two days shadowing, and thought to myself, i could be horribly challenged in here, have loads of homework, and be swamped and overrun and get behind by things i dont understand, or i could stay here, go at every other kids pace, get all A's, be able to do my sports and ECs, and have fun in high school. sooo, marisa stayed at countryside. mind you, i am keeping my A's, and i was at the top of my class last year. there is no way in hell i WOULDNT of made it through IB.

mind you, if you have been in public school for all your life, you have a public school education. most of the kids that went into IB *which is International Baccalaureate fyi* came from private schools, or some kind of private or advanced schooling, like me, who had already had the classes leading up to the classes in IB, which are one year ahead of the traditional high school program. for example, kids from MEGASS, an advanced math program, had already had geometry, and would of been going into Algebra II anyways, which is where you start in IB. oh, and you take everything at an advanced level, not accellerated rate. EVERYTHING. you start at spanish III or french I/II, algebra II, Biology II (way more advanced than traditional), English II, and American Gov. and history advanced. oh, and one elective.

untill 11th grade, you are taking what are called Pre-IB classes, getting you ready for the work in store. by 11th grade, you start taking HL and LL, higher and lower level, AP classes. You can take psychology, some science class, and oh so much more, on top of your regular schedule, which are also in AP level for 11th and 12th grade (those are your electives for your last two years of school in FL). if you pass the IB test in 12th grade, you get the IB diploma, and when you say you are confident you will get this diploma on your college apps, the board smiles as they read your information, because having IB kids makes their school better.

oh, and you get college credit for all your AP classes passed. i think the highest a kids gotten from our program was 52 hours. my friend graduated from IB, and started her sophmore year in college when she was 18. too bad she died 7 months later.

anywho, i take it you are a freshman in high school right now? grade 9? here if you apply in 9th, and you get in, you have to take a test on all the material they learned in 9th grade. coming from a regular level school... GOOD LUCK. its pretty much giving you a test on everything you haven't seen yet.

you're ambitious. my friends this year are covered in homework. papers, projects, reading, its more stressful than challenging, from what some of the smartest people in my middle school tell me. but, i suppose you will have fun. somehow homework will find a way to be done, and socializing will happen at school, on the phone while doing homework, or on the weekends, when there isnt a project to be done.

i know how you feel... oh do i know how you feel. i was actually in two schools for about 4 days, because i couldnt make up my mind. but if its what YOU Want to do, then so be it. but if you're so damn bored, when not just ask your counselor about moving up a grade, and what has to be done? it's a little less drastic than IB. but wait, IB is just a grade ahead, so you could get ALL that homework, stress, etc, and be in IB, or just move up a grade, and well, you know the stress homework etc conditions of your school. it's up to you. but thats really how i see it these days. if i want to be challenged more, ill really work hard in school, and prove that im bored, and ask to be moved a grade. ib just wasnt for me. keep me updated on if it ends up being the right place for you! :)

BAOF!

MattMan
Veteran

Post by MattMan »

see in canada its all called different names

we take our grade 10 and 11 maths (math 10 and 20) in grade 10 in IB, then our grade grade 12 maths in grade 11 (math 30a, 30b, and 30c) and calculus in grade 12

everything else is basically a totally different program to my understanding, and by the time you're done all your classes (that is if you take full IB all the way through grade 12) you almost (keep in mind almost) have the equivilent of your most first year of University classes

IB definately is the place for me, it'll give me the stuff to do so that it fills up all my bored time, to say the least.

thanks for your sympathy, im glad i know that theres SOMEONE who knows how i feel!

also: i can't really get pushed up a grade now, it's way too late for that, i'd be put in classes where i would struggle for a time while i figured everything out, and then probably have to retake the classes again the next year because of the time i lost in the first quarter.
Mau-Mau
Loyal

Post by Mau-Mau »

well i am one of the smart ones and they wanted to skip me into grade two when i was in grade 1 but my parents didnt want........ buff i dont find it that bad though i am not bored.just everythingis easier for me ot understand.... ( iwas held back a year cause of my birthday)
Maur
Doh!-Nut
Loyal

Post by Doh!-Nut »

In relation to your topic title Matt, it's not "probably other smart ppl got screwed over" it's "HAPPENS 99.99% OF THE TIME IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS."

the thing is, there is not a big age difference, and now i have my work ethic all screwed up because i had no challenges (school wise) except in grade 5 and 8. i don't study at all, and get 90's on most of my tests. now next year i plan to go into IB (International something or another, advanced classes) because i know i can do it, the problem is i'm gonna go insane with all the homework that i'm gonna have (you basically take all of your compulsories, math and english at an accellerated rate, and get only one spare for grade 10, two for grade 11, and i think 3 or 4 for grade 12)

Join the club. Fortunately for you people, no matter how bad you're bored and how lazy your work ethic, you wouldn't suffer as much as me.

-- When you are able to be skipped 8-9 grades and it doesn't happen, boredom might set in.

-- When you're able to cover the same Calculus material in 5 days that took the AP Calculus class 9 weeks, boredom might set in.

-- When you're able to learn 10th grade-level grammar in a single day, 7 years ahead of scheldule, boredom might set in.

:bag:
There's more then Democrats and Republicans. Get a new mantra, and in the meantime remember to use No More Tears? brand baby shampoo every evening.
motoman
Loyal

Post by motoman »

hey, MattMan, why so bitter? I've struggled with school my entire life. I have a processing disorder. I've been tested for everything imaginable and they still dont know what it is, so its just classifide as a "processing dissorder." You're pissed off cause you didnt get skipped up a grade? Atleast you didn't get held back a grade like me. Seriously... quit complaining. You really have NO idea how lucky you are.

And another thing... It's YOUR fault you're bored. School is what you make it, if you want to have a good time its up to you. But you have a shitty attitude toward it so natrually its a shitty experience.
Barbies are Evil
Veteran

Post by Barbies are Evil »

ok.......now I sort of know what you mean Mattman. My mom held me back a year before starting me into preschool, and then I held myself back in 7th grade. This year i'm in a new school, and i'm 15 in the 8th grade. My new school was thinking of putting me into the highschool for the "in class support" classes, wich basically means 2 teachers in one room. My parents and I said no, because this year already I made the huge adjustment from 13 kids in my class in my Catholic school to like 30 kids in my classes in my new public school. So I didn't wanna make another socially huge adjustment. But I am bored in every single subject except Math and Science.
TJ[10:13 PM]: no not really..... it's all so.... like wow..... screw steps, you took a fuckin jet pack and strapped it on yourself and rocketed your way forward (thats my big bro)

And I'm going to extremes

Tomorrow I will change

And today won't mean a thing

I'm a bitch, I'm a tease

I'm a goddess on my knees

When you hurt, when you suffer

I'm your angel undercover

I've been numb, I'm revived

Can't say I'm not alive

You know I wouldn't want it any other way

Meredith Brooks-Bitch
MattMan
Veteran

Post by MattMan »

i just want to say something to motoman, the way i see it, i'd switch you places. its like im gonna go from having basically no homework, to having 3 hours a night next year, where as most people i know have had homework all their lives and if they were made to do 3 hours a night it would seem just like it was more and more often than in the past, but they dealt with it. i on the other hand have not had this experience and am going to be struggling to keep myself sane.

i feel the same way doh-nut does, i was never able to test my skills at that early of an age though so i'll never know what could or should have been

i have no further arguments to make, i just kinda needed to vent and somebody to share my pain with
Doh!-Nut
Loyal

Post by Doh!-Nut »

And another thing... It's YOUR fault you're bored. School is what you make it, if you want to have a good time its up to you. But you have a shitty attitude toward it so natrually its a shitty experience.

Yay, let's have a job that you hate, you don't get payed for, and can't quit if you wanted too. School = that.

BUT THAT'S OK CAUSE I SUPER-HAPPY-EXCITED!

"Put down that book on Chemisty, it's time to learn about the period puncuation!"

YAY YAY YAY!

:wallbash: :wallbash:
There's more then Democrats and Republicans. Get a new mantra, and in the meantime remember to use No More Tears? brand baby shampoo every evening.
Adnama
Veteran

Post by Adnama »

This is why i love highschool- thank God for ap/preap [still only a widdle sophmore doncha know] clases.

I remember, back in 5th grade, i flat out stoped doing homework. I decided "i know this, i dont need it, my time is better spent outside with my friends". I write another school related word at home untill the second day of 7th grade- where i was blessed with a wonderful math teacher. She scared us the first day of school, telling us that she'd call our parents for every assignment we didnt turn in [my gosh that would be the end of the world for me, or so i thought]. So i turned in all my assignments- bu tonly half done, because i had become so use to not doing my homework. She called my parents with in a week of starting school. This may sound odd, but i love her for it. It took taht to kick my self back into gear, and to see how much i really did love to learn. I started off in pre-ap classes in 8th grade, and havent looked back since.

You know, maybe its only here in texas, but you can only be failed once during middle school? If they fail you in 7th grade, they cant fail you in 8th no matter how badly you do, the HAVE to pass you into 9th grade. Like my video tech teacher said once- we drag our wonded along with us in america. In most other countrys you dont do your school work, you're sent out of school or held back or sent to a lower school, what ever, while the good students get passed ahead.

The public school system is screwed up. I got EXTREAMLY lucky, both with teachers and with schools. I have to go to school on the other side of town, even though there is a school a couple of blocks away from me. Why? Because its like the worst school in the world- drugs, racial wars, teachers dont care, no disiplin, its horrible!

Ok, i'm ranting now, but yeah, the school system sucks in so many ways.
"It's just not the same when you're staring into a perfect golden sunset,

And thinking about how you sold your soul to send the rain away"

-Mineral "Slower"

"And the very fear that makes you want to die

Is just the same as what keeps you alive..."

-Barenaked Ladies, "War on drugs"

My blog of depressed rants: http://sendtherainaway.blogspot.com/
Adnama
Veteran

Post by Adnama »

arg, double post *jabs thwith a pointy stick* sorry .<
"It's just not the same when you're staring into a perfect golden sunset,

And thinking about how you sold your soul to send the rain away"

-Mineral "Slower"

"And the very fear that makes you want to die

Is just the same as what keeps you alive..."

-Barenaked Ladies, "War on drugs"

My blog of depressed rants: http://sendtherainaway.blogspot.com/
Doh!-Nut
Loyal

Post by Doh!-Nut »

Like my video tech teacher said once- we drag our wonded along with us in america. In most other countrys you dont do your school work, you're sent out of school or held back or sent to a lower school, what ever, while the good students get passed ahead.

Yep this egaritarian socialism thing is getting out of hand. They confuse a level playing field with equal outcomes.

There's no sense in pretending a retarded person is going to be a rocket scientist so why do we continue to think it's elitist to think some people are just simply SMARTER then others.

School = bred mediocrity. Pull the screw-ups up and pull down the smart ones.
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

Yes but I've seen it with my brother, with a little extra encouragement and help they CAN pull their grades up. My brother was told he was distinctly average/under average and he went on to Uni.. Soo... It can happen.

Is it fair to let those who don't understand suffer when maybe, just maybe that wouldn't be the case with extra help just to accomodate the smarter ones who can do it anyway???
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
flavaoftheweak
Veteran

Post by flavaoftheweak »

fyi mattman. the reason its called INTERNATIONAL baccelaureate is because they all follow the SAME cirriculum. so no matter how each of us put it, its the same. and college HOURS equals finishing your first year of college. :)

BAOF!

Doh!-Nut
Loyal

Post by Doh!-Nut »

Yes but I've seen it with my brother, with a little extra encouragement and help they CAN pull their grades up.

Of course the problem here is you're equating grades with learning.

My brother was told he was distinctly average/under average and he went on to Uni.. Soo... It can happen.

When he does something truly extraordinary, then and only then can you call him "special" like the degree of rigor required for -Rocket Scientist&#153;-.

Is it fair to let those who don't understand suffer when maybe, just maybe that wouldn't be the case with extra help just to accomodate the smarter ones who can do it anyway???

Are you saying here that because a person is smarter they don't matter as much as a person who's slower? Wait wait, first you say that everyone is entitled to an equal education, then you turn around and say some don't matter as much as otherS? "SAY WHA?"

This is not a matter of accomodation as I'm FORCED to attend public school using money from the government payed by CITIZEN taxes. The insanity insues even in Homeschooling as there's "standards" invoked.

The more I think about this the more I get pissed I didn't think about it sooner.

"Of course, when everybody's special, nobody is, and that's the real goal. The words change: gifted is now called "advanced placement;" instead of special ed we get "affective-ed." The sales pitch is convincing: "Special treatment, small group sessions, individualized..." - Ned Vare