Where Do Complain About Mods

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
flavaoftheweak
Veteran

Re: Where Do Complain About Mods

Post by flavaoftheweak »

Originally posted by coffeemonster@Dec 13 2003, 10:41 AM

They're only teenagers, it's not like you're going to get professional counselling in there or anything!

*clears throat*

EXACTLY.
lets unwravel the egde of time...

without the bad times, the good times wouldnt be so sweet.

BAOF!

its the little things people say that make your whole day worthwile...
OurLadyOfSorrows
Needs Another Hobby

Post by OurLadyOfSorrows »

I think the mods were quite rude in my opinion, to say they are there to help
I can resist everything except temptation - Silverstein
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

Ok, i have a question...if you hate the chatrooms so much why do you go back? Just stay clear of that little butten that says "Chat"...its really not that hard of a consept...:)

*My opinion

~Jeff
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

They're only rude cos they're teenagers. They get put on this podium and told to help people and they don't really know how to go about it. Which is no fault of their own.

Might want to consider training the staff around here?
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Sky
Veteran

Post by Sky »

In my opinnion the mods werent maturely handling the situation. If they just "laughed" and made "fun" of the user then why are they even mods? They could atleast not have provoked this. I dont go into chat but from this standpoint these are my beleifs.
<span style=\'font-family:Times\'Something told the wild geese

It was tine to go

Through the fields lay golden

Something wispered- "SNOW"

Leaves were green and stirring

Berries,luster-glossed

But beneath the warm feathers

Something cautioned- "FROST"

All the sagging orchards

Steamed With amber spice

But each wild breast stiffened

At rembered ice

Something told the wild geese

It was time to fly-

Summer sun was on their wings

Winter in their cry
OurLadyOfSorrows
Needs Another Hobby

Post by OurLadyOfSorrows »

I don't think any training is needed, they just need to think about what they're doing and handle the situations more maturely. It's common sense not to laugh constantly when there are people in need of help, whether it's directed at them or not
I can resist everything except temptation - Silverstein
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

Originally posted by rast@Dec 14 2003, 11:54 AM

cindy, im just wondering way saying the mods are bitches is such an high offence when they are, and it doesnt madder about the users, the mods are chosen.

Its kind of sad that the only people that think mods are bitches are thoses who are always breaking rules and forcing the mods to do their jobs... Hmmm... Coincidence? I don't think so.

Maybe, just maybe, if you started following the rules, stopped being such a jackass to everyone and started actually acting nice to people around here, our mods won't be such "bitches". Its not that hard really. Try it for once.

And BTW (by the way) What does mods being chosen and users not being chosen have anything to do with being being bitches? You totaly lost me there.

As for our lovely Helens remark, Mods shouldn't be trained. Theres really no need for them to be trained. Besides its hard enough have the admins make it to one meeting and theres only like 5 of them. try making a day where over 15 people can show up for training, thats practicaly impossible. Besides the mods are just doing their jobs, and personally I'm proud of the jobs that they are doing. Helen, Your a great person, but please, let TH be, and run your own site. I know the admins love hearing your imput, but you don't run this site anymore, the admins are doing an ok job, the only people that are having promblems on this site are thoses that can't comperhend the rules of the site (which arent that hard)

I really think this topic should be closed, theres nothing really to it. The main topic has been disscussed and this is just turning slowly into a flame war., but thats just what I think.

Cindy
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
xolilsk8rchicaxo
Veteran

Post by xolilsk8rchicaxo »

wait the training or whatever isnt really needed. i mean you guys dont just let anyone be a MOD. when you fill out an application you have to answer question that would be the type that people would answer. aren't those taken into consideration as in if that person knows how to handle a certain situation and if theyre good at it?
I've found a reason for me

To change who I used to be

A reason to start over new

and the reason is you

I've found a reason to show

A side of me you didn't know

A reason for all that I do

And the reason is you
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

The job in the chatroom is that of a listener. Listeners undergo certain amounts of training to know how to deal with situations.

I've recently completed training for night time welfare volunteering and I had to undergo numerous roleplays and exercises in order to be allowed to become a welfare volunteer.

The job is important and deals sometimes with whether or not somebody decides they are going to live or die, this sort of post requires some degree of training.

Even if you just tell people how to handle nusciance people in the chatroom, it's better than no training given at all.
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

Originally posted by OverDrive+Dec 14 2003, 05:15 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (OverDrive @ Dec 14 2003, 05:15 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-coffeemonster@Dec 14 2003, 08:03 AM

They're only rude cos they're teenagers.? They get put on this podium and told to help people and they don't really know how to go about it.? Which is no fault of their own.

mind suggesting what would be in the "training" sessions? Cause frankly, i have no idea what you mean.[/b][/quote]

You could hold training sessions in the chatroom every month or so when you recruit new mentors, all the admin would be present and you'd each do roleplays of problem situations and see how the trainees react to them.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Originally posted by coffeemonster+Dec 14 2003, 05:15 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (coffeemonster @ Dec 14 2003, 05:15 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'
Originally posted by OverDrive@Dec 14 2003, 05:15 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-coffeemonster
@Dec 14 2003, 08:03 AM

They're only rude cos they're teenagers.? They get put on this podium and told to help people and they don't really know how to go about it.? Which is no fault of their own.

mind suggesting what would be in the "training" sessions? Cause frankly, i have no idea what you mean.

You could hold training sessions in the chatroom every month or so when you recruit new mentors, all the admin would be present and you'd each do roleplays of problem situations and see how the trainees react to them.[/b][/quote]

As Cindy nicely put it

"Besides its hard enough have the admins make it to one meeting and theres only like 5 of them. try making a day where over 15 people can show up for training, thats practicaly impossible."
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Evan
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Evan »

and yet the world tends tokeeep on turning.....
my 2 cents.....
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

That's really bad. You can't expect teenagers to know this stuff without training them, if you don't train them then you end up with people who don't know how to deal with the situations which you put them in.

Bad, bad, bad.

If you have time to read books about colleges and write book reviews, then somebody must have time to put together some guidelines for working in the chatroom??
yoursocool

Post by yoursocool »

Originally posted by OverDrive+Dec 14 2003, 06:46 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (OverDrive @ Dec 14 2003, 06:46 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-coffeemonster@Dec 14 2003, 05:14 PM

The job in the chatroom is that of a listener.? Listeners undergo certain amounts of training to know how to deal with situations.

I've recently completed training for night time welfare volunteering and I had to undergo numerous roleplays and exercises in order to be allowed to become a welfare volunteer.

The job is important and deals sometimes with whether or not somebody decides they are going to live or die, this sort of post requires some degree of training.

Even if you just tell people how to handle nusciance people in the chatroom, it's better than no training given at all.
This is on the real world - no the internet world. We dont have time to rune these extensive excersizes that you speak of. Basic training is given in my welcome letter and learned "on the job".[/b][/quote]

You're right, this is online, but that does not mean it's okay to have a low quality of support or staff.

Your staff cannot know how to deal with everything, that's why it is important for training.

It not only makes the staff more prepared, it helps prevent serious problems because a moderator has no clue what to do. All that training would do, is improve things. What's the harm in that?

Fair enough, you cannot get everyone in the chat room at the one time to hold these training sessions, but how about split it into 2 or 3 different times a week/month where the staff can pick the best tme to suit them and you go over the stuff again, incase the member of staff can't make it on the one occassion.

If the chat room doesn't work, send all the member of staff articles and stuff typed up to read...

The point is, your staff DO NOT know everything or how to deal with every situation but it can do no harm to increase what they do know.

This site should be doing everything it can to raise it's standards, otherwise it's staff and it has no use, but a few useless people who think they know it all, but actually have no clue what to do.

why not imporve your mentoring standards, instead of adding usless book review (staff freebie) sections.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

http://www.teenhelp.org/index.php?p=toc

We do not claim to be professionals - we are people who have gone through some of this stuff that we talk about. We always relate to our own experiences - if you feel our staff does not know what they are talking about, then maybe your case is needed to be taken to a PROFESSIONAL.... these are KIDS (and some young adults) and KIDS DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING.

Besides - we all have our own lives, we do this as volunteering and if the idividual mentor wants to pursue this more, they can on their own time, at their own pace. Unless you want to pay me to develp a training manual, and take the time to train others, I'd suggest you shut your mouth and stop bitching - THIS IS TEENS HELPING TEENS - NO WHERE DO WE SAY THAT WE KNOW EVERYTHING... DO ANY TEENS KNOW EVERYTHING?
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

xolilsk8rchicaxo
Veteran

Post by xolilsk8rchicaxo »

when you sign up to be a mod you have to answer sample questions...obviously if you dont know what the hell youre talking about theyre not going to make you a mod! and then a lot of the mods ave been thru shit on the forum that theyre modding. i see tons of people getting help and appreciating it and NOT complaining.
I've found a reason for me

To change who I used to be

A reason to start over new

and the reason is you

I've found a reason to show

A side of me you didn't know

A reason for all that I do

And the reason is you