School Children As Political Fodder

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Doh!-Nut
Loyal

School Children As Political Fodder

Post by Doh!-Nut »

School Children as Political Cannon Fodder for "Social Causes"

by Thomas Sowell (March 10, 2001)

[www.CapitalismMagazine.com] Test scores are not the only things that tell us how bad our public schools have become. In San Francisco, the school board voted unanimously to have the city's students take Friday, March 9th, off to go to Berkeley, in order to stage a protest demonstration, demanding the reinstatement of affirmative action in the university's admissions policies.

Only after the Berkeley police contacted San Francisco education officials was the rally called off. The police were concerned about such logistical things as where all the buses carrying students from San Francisco were going to be parked and where all these students were going to eat. A school board member then admitted, "there would be no easy way to get that many kids over and back."

The more basic question is why these children's education was being sacrificed to some teachers' and administrators' political project. Nor is this the first time that school children have been used as political cannon fodder or as guinea pigs for social experiments. Nor is California the only place where this happens.

Nothing is easier than to call any project or activity engaged in by a school "educational." So long as parents and voters buy it, the schools will keep selling it. But one of the big reasons students in other countries consistently outperform American students on international tests is that many other countries' students are actually being taught academic subjects while ours are spending their time on "activities" and "projects" that our education officials call "exciting."

An even more grim example of what is wrong with our schools are the fatal shooting sprees that have broken out at various schools across the country, most recently in Santana High School near San Diego. Gun control advocates have seized upon this incident to call for more gun control laws. Facts don't seem to bother gun control advocates, but let's look at some facts anyway.

Many of the guns used in various deadly shooting sprees -- in schools, at workplaces and elsewhere -- were perfectly legal under existing gun control laws and would remain perfectly legal under new gun control laws that are being proposed. Moreover, even if guns were outlawed completely, there would still be a couple of hundred million guns already in existence in American society, and they are not going to disappear into thin air.

Guns don't wear out very fast and may never wear out if properly cared for. So the current 200 million or so guns in existence today may still be around two centuries from now, even if laws ban any new guns from being produced or imported.

But none of these facts is likely to affect gun control crusaders. They must have their symbolic victories, whether with trigger locks and other cumbersome devices that make it harder to use a gun in self-defense or with other petty and costly nuisances that law-abiding citizens will be put through. Meanwhile, violent criminals will be wholly unaffected, since they are in the business of violating laws anyway. The only effect on criminals will be to make their victims less able to defend themselves, thereby making mugging, burglary and armed robbery safer occupations.

There is another aspect of this that needs to be considered because it also has a bearing on the gun controllers' arguments and assumptions. At Santana High School, as at Columbine and other high schools where fatal shootings have occurred, people have been particularly shocked because these were affluent, predominantly white schools. Given the much higher rates of violence in low-income and ghetto schools, why have these shooting sprees seldom, if ever, occurred there?

For better or worse, there are likely to be more armed people in or near schools in low-income and minority neighborhoods. Some have armed guards in the schools themselves. Some have armed gangs in or near the schools.

In other words, when you open fire in a school in a high-crime neighborhood, you are likely to face more bullets coming back your way. It is in nice, wholly disarmed, affluent white schools that a gun makes you instant king of the hill -- at least until armed police arrive on the scene. The needless and tragic deaths at Columbine, Santana and other schools where shooting sprees have snuffed out young lives are part of the high cost already being paid for the fetish of disarming law-abiding people.

We don't need to make this tragedy even worse by disarming more people all across the country.

Source
There's more then Democrats and Republicans. Get a new mantra, and in the meantime remember to use No More Tears? brand baby shampoo every evening.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Re: School Children As Political Fodder

Post by SirPostAlot »

Very interesting...but like you other ones, i don't totally agree...these "activities" and "projects" (as you called them) are part of our education...unless you went to a public school, you wouldn't know about the excitment...they make the schooling more exciting and it teaches us it (the law, the countries, the chemisty) by hands on...

I am personally kinda confussed (and its not becuause i go to a public school :D) but its really kinda hard to follow...personally i am very against guns, i don't see why they would do this...Sorry, the whole article is really quite confussing...
Doh!-Nut
Loyal

Post by Doh!-Nut »

Purpose: Demonstrate these types of abuses are systemic and reflect the politization of causes by the far left using public schools.
There's more then Democrats and Republicans. Get a new mantra, and in the meantime remember to use No More Tears? brand baby shampoo every evening.
StressedOut
Loyal

Post by StressedOut »

um doh

why are you using an article from over 2 years ago

and we all get the point that you hate the american public school system
Image Season 7 Begins- January 2009
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

doonut, i am a smartish person in 10th grade, and i have no clue what words you are using...
flavaoftheweak
Veteran

Post by flavaoftheweak »

Originally posted by Doh!-Nut@Dec 14 2003, 12:30 AM

Purpose: Demonstrate these types of abuses are systemic and reflect the politization of causes by the far left using public schools.

the types of abuses stated in the article have a system... they go by a system. and to reflect the politization of causes *school activites* by california using public schools.

correct me if im wrong.

and stressedout... it doesnt matter how old an article is, it matters whats in it. all of the stuff doh-nut posts might be old but it is still very true and relevant. these are the times that you have to look at it ABOVE your situation. if you think about it hard enough, from an unbiased point, you too will see that it is true. and please, if you DONT want to read things that doh-nut posts (because its usually the same, articles on school) DONT GO INTO THE THREAD. its common sense. and if all you want to do is post nothing to the effect of the original post, but only post to bash the user, well... that wont go over well.

and aimuser, i AM a smart person in 9th grade, and i understand everything. you just have to pick the posts apart, and read every word for its own. i dont think it matters how "smart" you are, or what grade you are in, i really think its reading comprehension.
lets unwravel the egde of time...

without the bad times, the good times wouldnt be so sweet.

BAOF!

its the little things people say that make your whole day worthwile...
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Hahahahahahahahahaha Doh!-Nut. What a shitty piece of 'news' that is. Oh that makes my day. The thesis is complete crap, and not backed up at all. The author tangents on gun control and all these other issues that are only weakly connected to his argument, and he skews what he says so things sound worse than they actually are. Ho ho ho, that was funny.

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

Doh!-Nut
Loyal

Post by Doh!-Nut »

Many of the guns used in various deadly shooting sprees -- in schools, at workplaces and elsewhere -- were perfectly legal under existing gun control laws and would remain perfectly legal under new gun control laws that are being proposed. Moreover, even if guns were outlawed completely, there would still be a couple of hundred million guns already in existence in American society, and they are not going to disappear into thin air.

Yea that quote had me laughing too. How dare he speak the truth.