College...

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Illusions
Loyal

College...

Post by Illusions »

I am in 9th grade - a freshman.

I don't know what I am gonna do with my life. I know about high school - but what afterwards. I don't get college.. like.. what is a graduate degree? an undergraduate? a m.d.? a b.a.? I have never been so confused in my life. what to do to get into a good college?

And I am scared. Scared because I know the classes I take now and the extracurriculars WILLL MATTER when it comes to college.

Let me tell you about myself.

I have three jobs in my choice list: Psychologist, Psychiatry, and Journalism. Yet, I do NOT know wha sciences classes to take for psychology/psychiatry for example.. is medical school necessary?

I have one college i really want to go to: Rice University. But how? I know it is hard. What should I do?

Somebody help me.. cuz I am confused.
Once I set my heart on something, I just won?t quit until I get it.

Even if it starts looking like the wrong thing to go after, you know?

I don?t stop to question it; I just go for it, figuring once I?ve got it, I?ll worry about the rest.
faith
Veteran

Re: College...

Post by faith »

ur a freshman!! dont worry about it. im a jr and im still not pre occupied with it. hey ur on the easy road now. take advantage of it! RELAX
~God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. psalm 46:1-2

~God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself Genesis 1:27

~Stop judging others, and u will not be judged. Stop criticizing others, or it will all come back on u. Luke 6:37

~There are "friends" who destroy eachother but a real freind sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

~A fool is quick tempered but a wise person stays calm when insulted. Proverbs 12:16

~The tounge is a small thing but what enormous damage it can do. James 3:5

~Even if my father and mother abandon me the Lord will hold me close. Psalm 27:10

~Get rid of all bitterness...instead be kind to eachother Ephesians 4:31-32

God bless

Love in christ--chelsea
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

Hmm...I figured out were i wanted to go and what i wanted to be when i was in 8th grade...thou it has changed, i have figured out where i wanted to go and what i wanted to be...I am in 10th grade now, and know these things...You are a freshman, you have 4 years to figure this out...but just to warn you, don't take forever-this is a very serious decision that you need to figure out...Don't get all stressed out (like i did)...its really not worth it! :)

I used to want to be a Journalist, but after seeing that alot of people get turned down from there because of 1) they have an accent-which i don't...and/or 2) you have to have connections inorder to succeded.

So i gave that up and decided i wanted to be a CPA (certified pubic accountant) or something like that...

Good Luck!

ANd don't stress out!
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

Dude, I'm in first year univ, and i barely know what i'm going to do. In Grade 9 i thought i had it all figured out, but geuss what...youll changfe your mind. ALL of my friends did. It just happens. People change in three years. Just get your mandatory volunteer work in. I love the canadian thing where they dont look at extracurricular but yeah. Just relax. You have the time.

Definitions:

Undergraduate - A student pursuing a BACHELORS DEGREE, who is in their first years of university. They have no prior degree.

Graduate - A student pursuing a MASTERS DEGREE or a DOCTORATE, they already have an undergraduate degree.

B.Sc. - Bachelor of Science, You have a bachelors in a science program

B.A. - Bachelor of Arts, You have a bachelors in an arts program

B.Ed. - Bachelor of Education, You have a bachelors in an education program

M.Sc. - Master of Science

MA - Masters in Arts

PhD - Doctoral Degree

M.D. - Medical Doctorate

Yeah, with classes, i had more than enough time to take every important class at our school. Talk to a bloody counsellor.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
flavaoftheweak
Veteran

Post by flavaoftheweak »

WOO go tora, you totally explained it.

You must go to medical school to get a psychiatrics or psychology degree. It involves medicine, maybe in a different way then a surgeon, but still, you go to medical school. You need to start planning now though if you know what university you want to go to. Start taking classes that will look good, like honors, ap, advanced, whatever. Keep a high GPA, and when send in your application, you want your class load to look as good as possible, so keep it in mind. Oh man, i could tell you alot more, if you want, just PM me or IM me on aim, ilovecaseymost, id be HAPPY to talk to you.
lets unwravel the egde of time...

without the bad times, the good times wouldnt be so sweet.

BAOF!

its the little things people say that make your whole day worthwile...
Welfycat

Post by Welfycat »

College isn't as hard as it seems, really.

It's terribly scary at first, but then you get there, and realize, this is just like high school. This was my first year in college, and I was terrified at the beginning. Then, after a few weeks I figured out it was just the same as high school, and then everything was fine. The only difference is that finals week is insane.

So, really don't worry about it.
"Will I lose my dignity?

Will someone care?

Will I wake tomorrow

from this nightmare?"

~ Rent