Job

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
White Raven
Loyal

Job

Post by White Raven »

Yo.

I come to you today, almighty helpy people, with a plea for advice. I'll start from the beginning of the story ...

OK, yesterday I was searching for a random freelance GFX design job I could do to earn me some hosting. I came across a "Job Wanted" thread on a message board ... intrigued, I applied, simply out of curiosity of if I had the skills for them to even look twice at me.

Honestly, I was expecting an e-mail with a huge "WTF?" picture in it.

The guy replied and said he was strongly concidering me for their team, and that he'd like to know a little more about me. Now, problem one is I've never had a job. So I know nothing about aps. I just made my initial e-mail as professional as possible.

Problem two is I'm really, REALLY young compared to most GFX designers. I'm only 14.

Anyway, they're a HUGE company. Problem three is that if I started getting cheques in the mail, mom'd flip out. But I'd take the job even if I didn't get paid.

This is what I sent in my first e-mail to them ...

Hello.

I just happened to be browsing your thread at Graphic-Forums.com and noticed you wanted a "Corporate" designer. Though you didn't quite specify what you wanted done, I'd love to be able to help in any way I can.

Though I may be new in the field of professional graphics and web design, I've been doing freelance work for a couple years now ... mostly banners and signatures for websites. I'm in the process of making a website for my private organization, Acidic Designs. However, I have included a link to a website I made from scratch recently for a gaming guild. (http://dahui.vze.com) Though this may not be the style you're looking for, I am a very versatile and adaptable artist. I've also attached a couple of banners I've done so you can get a taste of my varied styles of work.

I look forward to hearing from you again, and perhaps learning more about what you have in mind for your site.

-Matt "Appear Kid" LeBlanc

Now, instead of a huge WTF picure, I got this from the guy ...

thanks for your interest in Webmorpheus. I see you have some talent, and I request that you send us a little more information about yourself.

By corporate I mean the use of good style in websites, understands good functionality in webdesigns, remember business websites and gaming websites have 2 very different looks

Most of our graphic team did start out with gaming websites so we are very interested in hearing a response from you!

I had a long conversation with a friend of mine, and eventually sent them this e-mail ...

Hello Greg,

A little more about myself, eh? Well, I'm a student in Canada with a couple years of freelance experience under my belt already. I'm still relatively young compared to most designers on the web, but I hope you have already seen that being young does not mean that I don't have some potential. I use PS7 to make my graphics, and plan on getting 3D Studio Max soon. I've never had a job as a graphics designer before. What I've done has mostly just been for people who requested images or wallpapers from me. Aside from graphics design, I enjoy writing immensely, but that doesn?t really matter. :)

I've gone through a few phases of graphics design, as well. I used to be into grungy-looking graphics, then I somehow transitioned to an industrial phase. Currently, I believe that less is more, and I'm trying to make my banners look very clean and professional, without many effects. I must say that I like the newer things I'm doing much more than the older ones. Most of the banners in the package I sent you were older. I feel that my newer styles will be more apt to your site and the style that you seem to possess, at least by the browsing of it I've done. I understand completely the differences between a small site like the Da Hui homepage and a huge webpage for an important company, not only in style, but in content.

Could you please give me some more details as to what this position requires?

-Matt "Appear Kid" LeBlanc

What are your comments/suggestions, and should I pursue it further?
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Version: 3.1.2

GC/FA/L/M/MU d-(--) s:- !a C++@

U? P? L? E? W+++++ N? o? K w+

O---- M-- V PS++ PE++(--) Y--

PGP- !t 5? X R+ tv(+) b+(++)

DI+ D- G+++ e* h! r++ !y+

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
OverDrive
Veteran

Re: Job

Post by OverDrive »

Well put. If you do get the job, TELL your parents. This would be a good job for you and if it pays - that's a bonus. I wish I could do graphic design... then I'd be set, but unfortunately, I cant get the hang of it like most people.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
White Raven
Loyal

Post by White Raven »

Yeah, but I'm afraid if I tell them, they'll be all "You're too young, you don't know what you're doing, you're not responcible enough," and cut me off. Which would be disapointing to me, but I can very clearly see it happening if they catch wind of it.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Version: 3.1.2

GC/FA/L/M/MU d-(--) s:- !a C++@

U? P? L? E? W+++++ N? o? K w+

O---- M-- V PS++ PE++(--) Y--

PGP- !t 5? X R+ tv(+) b+(++)

DI+ D- G+++ e* h! r++ !y+

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

Just tell 'em. Believe me, it doesn't pay to do things 'secretly'.

Just tell them they can research the place, and you'll only try it out for a while and see how it goes.
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"
B_Lo
Loyal

Post by B_Lo »

if you dont get a response back, send other things about yourself to him, dont give up cause this sounds like a good oppurtunity...just dont get into a job that you cant follow through with
Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossibloe is not a fact, it's an option/ Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary

Impossible is nothing- Muhammad Ali
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Originally posted by White Raven@Jan 26 2004, 07:02 PM

Yeah, but I'm afraid if I tell them, they'll be all "You're too young, you don't know what you're doing, you're not responcible enough," and cut me off. Which would be disapointing to me, but I can very clearly see it happening if they catch wind of it.
I was 15 when I got my first real job.... a Technical Support rep for the #1 ISP (at the time) in Canada - Internet Direct (who became Look Communications Inc. in April 2000)

I was also NOT THE YOUNGEST one. There was a guy there working since age 14, who stayed with the company for 6 years (me, I was there for 4 years 10 months, but he was there before me so he left before I did)
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.