Anxiety

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
adume
Loyal

Anxiety

Post by adume »

I'm not sure if there is a specific place on here for anxiety problems. Many things in my life are causing a great deal of anxiety, and I find it very difficult to calm down in any way sometimes.

I guess I'm posting this here because I don't really have anyone to speak to about things. I'm not even sure if this is a dissorder or not. Whatever it is, it's strong enough to really cause me problems (to say the least). It's hard to find support group forums that are active enough (or specific enough, or broad enough) to find someone to talk to, so here seemed like the best place.

As for right now, I have to get to work. I'll probably post more of a specific question or request when I get home tomorrow morning.
Hoodwinked
Loyal

Re: Anxiety

Post by Hoodwinked »

(((((hugs)))))

I get a thing sometimes. I get all depressed for no reason or cry for no reason. I hate being depressed!! :furious:

If you need to talk I'm here!!

(((((hugs)))))

L

X
XX ((hugs))

"Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy."

Nora Ephron
B_Lo
Loyal

Post by B_Lo »

things seem to mount up so ezily all the time as a teen, dont know why just happens. You are goin through a lil more and take it diff than a lot of people, just try to take stuff in stride
Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossibloe is not a fact, it's an option/ Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary

Impossible is nothing- Muhammad Ali
adume
Loyal

Post by adume »

As a teen, certainly. I had all kinds of trouble like that.

I'm 21 now, though. Different kinds of things are causing anxiety these days. They seem to have much more weight than the things I used to worry about, but it doesn't mean that the things I used to worry about were unimportant. Whatever the cause, anxiety is anxiety. It's difficult in any case.

I don't have anyone to talk to about these things, and it's nice to interact with such a supportive group of people such as yourselves (yeah, i know that's why it's called a "support group").

Naming specific causes of what's upsetting me may not be considered normal teen issues, but I know you understand the feelings involved.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Spill your guts, we all have problems, this is an all ages support group to which you get 'mentored' by teens (with the exception of me, I'm 21 too)
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

What problems is the anxiety causing? Physical? Mental?

I suffer from chronic generalised anxiety disorder and panic attacks so I really know what you're going through with the anxiety thing.
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
Abbi
Veteran

Post by Abbi »

Does this belong in disorders?
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair...
adume
Loyal

Post by adume »

Originally posted by Abbi@Feb 8 2004, 12:36 PM

Does this belong in disorders?

I'm not sure, I've asked myself that a few times. The truth is, I'm not sure exactly what this is. I've read up on generalized anxiety disorder, and I don't know if I have it or not. It boils down to this. . .

External events lead to mental strain and anxiety, mental strain leads to stress that adds to the anxiety, and the anxiety reaches points of physical pain at times.

Every drop of anxiety I feel can be accounted for. I'm never wondering why I feel this way because I know exactly what's bothering me - I know exactly what's bothering me all too well sometimes, and that's really the problem. Maybe someone knows more about this, but is this part of General Anxiety Disorder?
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

one of the traits of generalised anxiety disorder is that the source of stress is often hard to identify. It's really an extension of the everyday worry that becomes obssessive, the mind goes a mile a minute and the train of thought tends to be negative and obssessive, like for example I just got prescribed medicine and i immediately thought because I have to take it before I go to bed, it's going to make me feel more sick (Nausea isn't even a side effect) than I usually do, and I won't sleep even though it's a drowsy medicine, and that'll make me feel really down, that means tomorrow at school I'll be falling asleep and ill or I might even pass out because I'm so tired, and my teachers will get annoyed with me, and they'll hate me, and they'll tell all the other teachers what happened and they'll hate me too... That's GAD to me, an ongoing cycle or worry and impending doom. Or say you've got a meeting and you imagine you'll be late... You tend to think that because you'll be two minutes late they'll start the meeting without you and you'll miss it, and then your boss will give you a warning, then you'll get sacked and lose your job, then live in poverty, and your family will desert you - thats the type of thinking in GAD.

It would seem to me that you're just under so much stress. I would talk to your doctor to about this, because if theres a clear cut reason then chances are theres nothing serious mentally wrong with you but you can get it fixed
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
adume
Loyal

Post by adume »

Well, for starters, all of this seems to be confirming that I don't have GAD, I'm just stressed out. I have experienced something like a panic attack, but my fears and worries are strongly rooted in the external events that have made me anxious in the first place. As I said, I know all too well where my anxiety is coming from.

As of right now, I have about 32 hours to do the impossible. There's that, and I have until 3/16/04 to prepare myself before I hop on a bus (one way) to New York City. My financial standing is very poor, and though I know exactly what I need to make that move work, I'm running under schedule, and not making enough money.

As for the 32 hours thing. . . It's something that has to do with myself and someone very important in my life. I can't mess this one up. I'm against terrible odds, though. I don't know what to do, and the clock is ticking.

Last night every muscle in my body was shaking. I was sweating just because of trembling so much. My mind is chaotic with thoughts of things going wrong and efforts to find the right thing to do. Feelings of anxiety and pressure are present in a strong enough way to cause me physical pain. Aside from the feeling of weight on my chest, I feel . . . almost a stabbing or electrical shock type pain in my heart. This is usually acompanied by numbness of my fingertips. My guess is that anxiety is causing way too much adrenaline to be pumped into my bloodstream.

I have had many anxiety problems in the past because. . . well. . . I'm an anxious person by nature, I suppose. But it has never been nearly this bad in the past, though. At this point I'm convinced that anxiety isn't the problem that needs to be fixed. I need to fix the problems that are causing the anxiety in the first place, and of course, that causes more worry and stress.

The only thing I know to do is to become suddenly spiritual again. I have strayed away from beliefs and practices that used to be very important to me. Today I think that the best course of action would be to try to calm down, and make a kind of one-person-pilgramage to a spiritually significant place to regain my composure and find a way to clearly think about the situation at hand. I won't go into any detail, though. I want to make sure this is apropriate for this specific forum. If I feel like elaborating, I'll do so in the Religion forum.