Going To A Shrink

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
lostsoul40
Dedicated

Going To A Shrink

Post by lostsoul40 »

im not sure where to put this...so this looked like a good spot! My dads taking me to a shrink. Ive been to one before and she told my mom everythign. my parents are divorced, ive been suicidal, and havin g alot of problems with my mom, who i live with. i wont have a problem tellign the shrink about my problems with my mom, or anything like that...but should i tell him im suicidal? i really dont want him to tell my dad. does he have the right to tell things like that to my parents sience im under 18? thats my question. Because if my parents find out im suicidal, then im pretty sure ill be living in a crazy house! can you help me?
Harlequin
Loyal

Re: Going To A Shrink

Post by Harlequin »

I'm not sure whether or not they can do that. Doctor patient confidentiallity may still apply, but I'm not sure. You should ask the shrink whether it will be confidential before telling them anything. If they say that your father won't be told about what you say, then I would tell them. If your dad's gonna be brought into this don't talk about it though. I know it's not much, but it's the most I could think of that would help.

hope I was of service
<span style="font-family:Impact"<span style="color:purple"0 Days sarcasm free.[/u]
four
Veteran

Post by four »

Doctor - Patient confidentiality can be suspended when the doctor believes that the patient poses a threat to themself or others. Most consider suicide to fall under that exception.
NAAM
Harlequin
Loyal

Post by Harlequin »

Ok, tell them nothing then. That sucks though lol. You can't even trust a shrink anymore...of all people.
<span style="font-family:Impact"<span style="color:purple"0 Days sarcasm free.[/u]
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

Friend,

Yes the shrink can tell your parents if you are suicidal.

I would suggest that you still do tell your shrink everything. I think you would agree that if you are suicidal you need all the help that you can get. keeping something like this a secret from the people who can help you is very negative. I know you really don't want to but it is in your BEST intrest to come on out with it. Your parents love you and want whats best for you, so they will be willing to help you in such a situation.

No one is going to force you to tell or to get help, but I really wish that you would. But if you don't, at least promise us that you will come here and talk to us before you try to do something that you know you really shouldn't do.

-Best of wishes

-FiZz

-Feel free to contact me if you need :D
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

B_Lo
Loyal

Post by B_Lo »

i think its the parents discretion whether they can find out what u are saying during each specific meeting
Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossibloe is not a fact, it's an option/ Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary

Impossible is nothing- Muhammad Ali
four
Veteran

Post by four »

It is up to the shrink actually, and it has to pose a threat to the patient or someone else for them to even think about talking about it. Otherwise they are bound by law and can be sued.
NAAM