Roommates

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
stinggurl4
Loyal

Roommates

Post by stinggurl4 »

Hey, I live in a college dorm. This year was my first year and my experience was horrible! The 1st semester was alright, but the second semester, my roommate changed and because horrible. She has absolutely no consideration for me whatsoever. I tried to be nice about things, I knew that when she studied she likes quiet, so I would usually leave so that she would have quiet (which doesnt make sense, she should of left and gone to the library) but if I was studying in the room or writing a paper or something, she would be totally inconsiderate, she would turn on a tv and put on music on the stereo ( and we have complete opposite tastes in music) and talked on the phone, she went to sleep about 4 hours earlier than I did and I slept in a few hours later than she did, and her boyfriend would come over and she treated him like junk and he took it, and they make out in front of me, its disgusting...she is just very rude and inconsiderate, it was almost unmanagable, it made me almost hate her regretfully.

Okay, its to late for this year, the reason it got so bad was because I didn't like confrontation, so I just let her walk all over me. And YES I know that I should of talked to her about it...but she would of been the type to take it personally and hate me forever for sticking up for myself and since I had to live with her, I didn't want that...

Okay, so what I want to know is, next year I am gonna actually talk to my roommate about what I want and don't want, and I am gonna do it in the beginning of the year...but I don't want to do it on like the 1st day and be like a witch about it and be like we arent gonna do this and that or whatever. I want to discuss it with her and not make her think i am a witch, but I want to make sure that next year isn't anything like this year...

So how do I bring it up without sounding really mean and pushy?
radical~
Loyal

Re: Roommates

Post by radical~ »

OMG! That is horrible and gross! I can't believe she is such a weirdo who makes out in front of you. How awkward!

Why are you still gonna live with her next year. Life is short so grow a backbone ok. She doesn't have the right to make your college years miserable. Get a new roommate and stop dealing with her next year.
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

I say get a new roommate. Or find a new residence.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
stinggurl4
Loyal

Post by stinggurl4 »

Sorry, I guess I didn't make this clear, I am not going to live with her next year...

I am going to live with someone else, someone I don't know yet, and I want to know the best way to approach them about it...
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

heh, just be like "hey, my names ____"

Find out what they feel comfortable with, just talk to them, i'm sure it will come out eventually.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

well maybe wait a week or two to get to know them, then when the time comes gently bring up the fact you had a bad experience last year and dont want it to repeat itself.

be very careful not to offend though.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.