Quotes In A Paper

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Trapped
Veteran

Quotes In A Paper

Post by Trapped »

If you're quoting what two dif. people said in a explanation, do you separate it by putting on different lines or....how would you separate it if you do?

(Here's example:

Immediately after his confession, Sonia tries to ?save him?, by holding him, but he refuses: ??Stop, Sonia, enough! Don?t torture me,? he begged her miserably (Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380).? ??you kiss me and hug me when I tell you about that?.You don?t think what you are doing.? ?There is no one?no one in the whole world now so unhappy as you (Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380)!?
It's the little things that make a big difference.

In case you hadn't noticed...4-letter words:

love - hate - true - life

"And there are voices

That want to be heard

So much to mention

But you can't find the words"

--Listen to Your Heart, DHT

I can't erase myself, but I can try to move on.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Re: Quotes In A Paper

Post by SirPostAlot »

Originally posted by Trapped@May 10 2004, 06:38 PM

(Here's example:

Immediately after his confession, Sonia tries to ?save him?, by holding him, but he refuses: ??Stop, Sonia, enough! Don?t torture me,? he begged her miserably (Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380).? ??you kiss me and hug me when I tell you about that?.You don?t think what you are doing.? ?There is no one?no one in the whole world now so unhappy as you (Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380)!?

Hey!....

Aren't the same person? Like Dostoevsky...is it the same person?

If they are the same person , do this:

Immediately after his confession, Sonia tries to ?save him?, by holding him, but he refuses: ??Stop, Sonia, enough! Don?t torture me,? he begged her miserably. ??you kiss me and hug me when I tell you about that?.You don?t think what you are doing.? ?There is no one?no one in the whole world now so unhappy as you (qtd. in Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380)!?

All you need to do is quote it at the end since its from the same soure...

If they are different people w/ the same name just the same last name put (example):

"Blah, Blah, Blah (qtd. in L. and M. Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380)!"

Also, if they have different last names BUT are talking about the same thing, you just quote it at the end of the part...like (example):

"Blah Blah Blah"..."Bleh, Bleh, Bleh" (qtd. in Author 1, Pt. 3 340; qtd. in Author 2, Pt. 9 160).

Does that make sence?

Keep this in mind:

If you are quoting something something (word for word) you have to put "qtd. in" then the Authors name...

If you are just taking their words and reworind the words, then you just put the Authors name...

Does this help?

Sry, this was soo long...haha...

~Jeff~
sugarpacket
Loyal

Post by sugarpacket »

here's what i would do:

Immediately after his confession, Sonia tries to ?save him? by holding him, but he

refuses. ?Stop, Sonia, enough! Don?t torture me," [insert character's name here] begged. (Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380). "You kiss me and hug me when I tell you about that?You don?t think what you are doing... There is no one?no one in the whole world now so unhappy as you!" (Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380).

first, watch punctuation inside and outside of quotations. second, only use elipses (aka the "three little dots" [...]) when the quote had things cut from it. see where i used them above? that's because i'm assuming that you removed a chunk of the text to take only the things you want shown--in a book, we assume that the text is going to be removed (since printing a whole chapter for one line would be ridiculous).

good job--and good luck on your paper. let me know if you need any more help
kiss, crush, bliss, blush... finally happy. so happy. so lucky.

diaLoGue shrUgGed
Tifmonster
Loyal

Post by Tifmonster »

Originally posted by sugarpacket@May 18 2004, 02:33 PM

here's what i would do:

Immediately after his confession, Sonia tries to ?save him? by holding him, but he

refuses. ?Stop, Sonia, enough! Don?t torture me," [insert character's name here] begged. (Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380). "You kiss me and hug me when I tell you about that?You don?t think what you are doing... There is no one?no one in the whole world now so unhappy as you!" (Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380).

first, watch punctuation inside and outside of quotations. second, only use elipses (aka the "three little dots" [...]) when the quote had things cut from it. see where i used them above? that's because i'm assuming that you removed a chunk of the text to take only the things you want shown--in a book, we assume that the text is going to be removed (since printing a whole chapter for one line would be ridiculous).

good job--and good luck on your paper. let me know if you need any more help
Ok I am thinking near the same thing, but I think we need to know the character that says ""You kiss me and hug me when I tell you about that?You don?t think what you are doing... There is no one?no one in the whole world now so unhappy as you!"

I am thinking you need to do it something like this...

Stop, Sonia, enough! Don?t torture me," [insert character's name here] begged. Then [character] responded,"You kiss me and hug me when I tell you about that?You don?t think what you are doing... There is no one?no one in the whole world now so unhappy as you!" (Dostoevsky, Pt. 5 380).

You don't need to cite the page twice if it is the same page, and you are using one paragraph...

Anyways good luck... don't you just LOVE Crime and Punishment papers? :P