Topic Moved

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Skye
Veteran

Re: Topic Moved

Post by Skye »

Yes we could do a newsletter, yes we could do all of these things you want in the future, but currently the demands of the real world outside of TeenHelp far outweigh the allotted time for development on TeenHelp. We have been spending this time administrating and keeping the peace and dealing with topics such as this. We do want more for TeenHelp and we do want to make TeenHelp larger and help more teens, but time is time. I will try to spend more of my time on these "other things."

Overdrive has a full time job, a girlfriend he has to spend time with, he has to eat and sleep and do everything else. He also needs to administrate TeenHelp. Yes, he *could* do more right now, but at what cost to his job? Myself, I?m a full time college student. Sure, I could spend a lot more time on TeenHelp than Adam can, by far. And I do. But I also have my limits where I just give up for the day and need to relax. We all have our limits and we?re all dealing with life as it comes at us. I spend no less than 20 hours on TeenHelp every week. Sometimes its more on weekends than during week days, and other times its almost zero on weekends and most of it on week days. The point is, we try very hard to make TeenHelp better and make it what it is now.

I?m not going to point any fingers here, but people need to stop bashing the staff and the administration. You (those bashing) seem to have no real concept of what it takes to run TeenHelp. Most of you are users, some of you may have gripes or grudges, legitimate or not. Maybe it was a ban you had or a warning you disagree with. Can you name one party of power that has never made a mistake or changed its mind and remedied a mistake? It keeps coming down to reality, doesn?t it ...

TeenHelp is a virtual world, run by people who have to deal with the limits and realities of the real world. Some suggestions are pipe dreams and others are very doable. What we are saying is that you need to understand that we want the betterment of TeenHelp just as much as you. We have the same visions of a grand TeenHelp. We are just limited by the realities of the real world.

In any event, I bid you a good day.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

Hire more people.. there are plenty of people who would be willing to help contribute to the site if you started a project on something.

Also, if you don't have enough time to devote to this site.. why do it?

It needs constant attention in order to keep it running properly, it's a full time job in itself and at the moment it's not near as good as teenadvice.org or trappedminds.org.

Is this the state of things to come?
Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

I think everyone has to help in some way-at least make the mods, admins and supermods jobs easier.

Plus the majority are whinging on about what could be improvement. Yes, there are improvements needed, but what about the good things about TH?
Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
iHEAVENn2
Veteran

Post by iHEAVENn2 »

Once in a lifetime, you find the one you really love.

For now and forever, one love that never ends.

Once in a lifetime, when every star that lights the sky.

Will shine with one reason, leading your heart to the one love you find.

Just once in your life..

Once in a lifetime, you find the one you really love.

For now and forever, one love that never ends.

Just once in a lifetime...

Soda tart!!

.:..::.?? Toga party anyone ??.::..:.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Originally posted by fluffyhelen@May 18 2004, 04:05 PM

Hire more people.. there are plenty of people who would be willing to help contribute to the site if you started a project on something.

1 thing I've noticed from the last 3 months on teenhelp.

There is a reduced ammount of people applying who MEET qualifications or hell... even time constraints

I got 6 applications for chat staff in 2 weeks. Not 1 was ever IN THE CHAT. I'm not gonna hire someone who is NOT PARTICIPATING.

Helen, I want you to come up with something that you CAN DO for teenhelp that you are willing to put time into to FINISH. I will grant you whatever access is needed (depending on what it is, but I will bend over backwards to accomidate you). This goes for you too Kiyotie.

Do you want to take over adding the articles? I spent about 5 hours adding 6 articles about 2-3 weeks ago, spell checking, reading over to make sure they make sence, fixing grammar errors, giving the credit to the people who found/made/submitted the article and not taking any crecdit for doing it. I don't care too either as all I'm doing is reading through and correcting errors.

We currently have in our hands a new set of resources for anyone who wishes to put them in to TeenHelp's design, directly from another site's author who is 'retiring' her updates to this massive list (i'm talking 100 entries for 1 thing like SI Help sites/helplines/ or other). Anyone who is willing to do this, let me know. You must have intermediate knowledge of HTML and a thought on how to categorize it properly would be good too.

We currently have a document containing what we want to put into a program for HelpNet. It's not finished but if anyone would like to add their own DETAILED ideas for it, depending who you are (my views of your trustworthyness), I'd let you take a look and add to it. YOU MUST HAVE ADVANCED KNOWLEDGE of html programming, php programming woudl be an asset, and a mind to what would be user friendly + workable.

Currently there are massive openings for anyone who wants to be a chat mentor. Spend the hours in the chat, help out in the chat, abide by the rules, and apply. We have currnetly about 8 chat mentors and we used to have 30.

Due to the demand that you all have put forth, we would like to setup a temporary ticketing system until HelpNet can be fully completed. Anyone who knows a good ticketing system that couild be modified to be used for temporary measures, please let us know.

Any other CONSTRUCTIVE critisizm, please let me know. Any belligerent notes - please leave away and keep them to yourself
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

:huh: errr, what is helpnet anyway?

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

At the top of any screen there are 4 buttons

HOME | CHAT | HELPNET | GROUPS

or just click here:

http://www.teenhelp.org/index.php?p=helpnet
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

After going through all the different systems available I'm sorry to say that helplink is still the best one suited to an advice site that there is. Best thing you could do is improve on it and fix the many errors and bugs that David never cleaned up.

What are the html bits you've got for helpnet?

Unless you want to pay more for:

http://forums.renaxsolutions.com/html/index.php

Heh.

EdgePanel is working nicely on trappedminds.org and you can assign tickets and "stuff".

Just gotta get something sorted like that, I don't think I need to highlight that the system used to receive like 100 emails a day to the mentor staff.

Meh, if you trust me to sort out a system like that then I've got the free time to do it right now.

Where are these resources from?
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

I'll be doing the new "resources" as I acquired them.

I'll set up the temporary helpnet...I'll figure something out. It will be a free system.
HelpingTeens.org:

daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

Good luck finding one, there aren't many which are tailored to websites like this.

Most of them are designed for dealing with tickets which don't need to be circulated around a group of mentors and which don't need to have responses emailed out from many people to an outside email address.

If you go through sourceforge.net there are some on there, but they aren't that fantastic. I got so fed up with these ticket systems that I just ended up using a mailing list and an archive email address in the end.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Oh, 1 other thing i forgot to mention

We want to re-do the applications but we want them in 3 page multi-paged forms. I currently don't know how to do it, nor does skye. We've researched ways of doing it through PHP but we have come up with ways of getting 1 page sent through to the 2nd, but when the 2nd is forwarded to the 3rd page, all entries that were sent on the first page were dropped.

Anyone who knows ADVANCED php programming would be an asset for this project as I'm thinking it will have to be done through Sessions.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

HelpingTeens.org:

daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

Who would answer the questions on helpnet?

Mods?
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
Kiyotie
Veteran

Post by Kiyotie »

Adam,

As you may know (since you did get to know me fairly well) I am someone who loves to help people. Whether I concider them my "enemies" or not, I still love to do it. I used to work for Jacklyn Wyatt at http://www.equination.net before I came here helping her design pages of her site, controlling & answering the FAQs, and moderating the chats. I am currently not helping anyone with a major project, which gets me down sometimes. Normally I would volunteer to help ANYONE when asked (and I take it that your post was asking for help?) but right now I'm not in that position. I'm in Connecticut for the week because my grandmother died. When I get back home to Chicago I will talk to you.

Holly
Whatever our failings may be, we need not lower our eyes in the presence of Jesus...Jesus comes not for the super-spiritual but for the wobbly and the weak-kneed who know they don't have it all together, and who are not too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace. As we glance up, we are astonished to find the eyes of Jesus open with wonder, deep with understanding, and gentle with compassion.

Cormamin lindua ele lle, Heruamin.
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Sorry for not responding all evening, it's deadline for my school newspaper and I have to train the person taking over my page next year AND I have to layout two pages that I know nothing about (because they're not mine) all by tomorrow night, so that I can meet my thursday deadline. Not making a point, just letting people know where I'm at.

Anyway, about the suggestions of more add-ons and such, we don't need that. All of that stuff, it's extras. They are perks that can be done if this is somebody's life and this is all they do. However it's not, not for anyone. We don't NEED all of that extra stuff, you WANT all of that extra stuff. Fact is, when you add things, that's more things that can go wrong and more countless hours that you have to spend fixing them. I should know, I've been webmaster for 3 different websites in my life and actually owned one of them.

This forum, the chat, that's all we need. It is my belief that this website is pretty much perfect the way it is. It is very organized, the people are helpful, and if you need immediate help, you can go in a chat room that is superior to any room that I've been in. We don't need these add-ons that have been mentioned and they would just become a pain in the ass.

Please trust this former webmaster's opinion based on previous experience. Even the most basic webpage (which this most certainly is not) takes so many hours per week to maintain. More staff is not the answer, it just makes things more complex and creates more problems.

Doug
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

Originally posted by SexyMandy@May 18 2004, 09:56 PM

Who would answer the questions on helpnet?

Mods?

Actually it would be a whole different staff of people. The mods on the SGs wouldn't be responcable inless they filled out an app to me a mentor. It would be their choice. Even though, i don't knwo how we would find the staff when the chat is so understaffed *sighs*

Thats all i'm adding to this topic really. things ike this topic have jsut sucked the life outta me anymore.

I'll be around if anyone needs me
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

Hmm.. Now I'm one of the poeple who often like to bag on staff, but at this time, I don't have too many complaints about it.

I think this site has ALOT OF POTENTIAL, it's not living up to it, but that takes time. I think where we are for now is fine.. Things work pretty effectively.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

HelpingTeens.org:

Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

Originally posted by OverDrive@May 18 2004, 04:04 PM

At the top of any screen there are 4 buttons

HOME | CHAT | HELPNET | GROUPS

or just click here:

http://www.teenhelp.org/index.php?p=helpnet

I know that, but what does it do exactly?

Angel Breaks says: