A Feedback Form Submission Survey

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
OverDrive
Veteran

A Feedback Form Submission Survey

Post by OverDrive »

Someone sent in a feedback form and would like to know the following from you all:

QUESTIONAIRE:

01. What does a website dealing with emotional, sexual, and physical

relationship (family/interpersonal) violence ought to look like?

teenhelp.org is very basic and information-oriented. To me that seems like a

positive attribute; to marketing, it's too plain and needs happy imagery of

teens as well as looking more trendy. What are you thoughts?

02. In your opinion, are most sites targeting teens easy to navigate and

find what you're looking for? Are there any sites that are really easy to

use? Are there any sites that are really hard to use that you really hate?

03. What's the primary reason you go to teenhelp.org? Do you always go to

teenhelp.org before approaching an adult for help?

04. How do you find information online?

Please answer this persons's questionaire and i'll email it to him once there are a lot of replies, or until 1 week passes....
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
OverDrive
Veteran

Re: A Feedback Form Submission Survey

Post by OverDrive »

1. A website of this nature has to look professional, yet appealing to the people it is aimed towards, met with an easy navigatable menu. TeenHelp is oriented at first for it's text and information. It also has that professional look and is in my opinion, easily navigatable. The only thing it's lacking in my opinion is pictures and graphcis that would make it more appealing for teenagers since that's it's userbase mostly. This is why there have been added those images on the main page. I would like to add more all over the site but it is hard to find a really good image that is royalty free or royalty paid for that is applicable to this site. At work in my spare time, i've browsed the internet for hours (minimum 8 hours) on just looking for teen related pictures - royalty paid or not... just to get some idea of what to put on the site. I have not found anything (using google and yahoo's image search) that is worth putting on teenhelp. Maybe I have not searched the right keywords, but from what I found, nothing was worthwhile.

2. I think that many teen help sites online try to make the information available but not necessarily easily accessible. It just appears a lack of planning for future development. Even teenhelp is known for that, but at a lesser cost of time than another site that has no real data structure. You have to find the ballance between good information and management vs that '3 click and you're done' guideline for webpage navigation. There is only so many things you can get to with 3 clicks, but if it's any more than 3, it's getting too complex, but sometimes you have so much information that you have to go further into it. There are lots of sites developed by usuallys the young teens, (13 to 16) that are extremely difficult to navigate, or are simple enough to navigate but contain hardly any information. There are some that I really hate because they look like crap - usually different colour backgrounds on each page - or just on plain white, and they look like shit. Then again, sometimes it is those who look like shit that have the best information and a lot of it. It's really a need for a balance, which is where Teenhelp sits right now, although it could use some 'teenness' added to it.

3. I go to teenhelp because it helped me talk out some of my issues when I was younger. It gave me the virtual place to ask questions that if i asked to any other teen, they would just insult me and make me feel worse. I didn't like approaching an adult, especially parents as it was subjects that i didn't want my parents to either know about or give their 'lecture' on (my parents have been married for over 28 years now.... they are still somewhat old fashioned when it comes to advice... getting up there past age 50 also makes them relic's in time - especially for advice.... great parents, not always good for advice on teen issues as times have changed so much). Since I am an adult now, at age 21, I just ask adults or my peers as they are also adults and can help me. The odd time I will still ask teens as they have different looks on life.

4. I asked live people mostly, but google and yahoo are great.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

Having pictures of other teenagers can encourage comparisons to happen, especially if there are people with eating disorders visiting the site. If a picture of a girl looking in the mirror was put up and she wasn't ugly at all, then other people might look at it and compare themselves to it.

Seeing people happy when you are depressed is also a trigger for some people.

They are pretty easy to navigate around because it's usually a teenager who has designed them.

Been here too long. I only ask questions about sex here nowadays because I don't feel the age range here is experienced enough to cope with my adult problems anymore.

Google.co.uk
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

QUESTIONAIRE:

It should look professional so kids coming here really feel like they're being taken care of with advice they can trust. As fluffyhelen said, sometimes depressed kids find all these happy pictures triggering and can ask themselves "why can't my life be like that?". I think the professional look of teenhelp is fine.

I havn't been to too many other teen sites because this seems to be the main one right now, but what I've seen, the layout is all very similar, and equally un-challenging to use. They're all pretty basic, and whatever it is, you'll always get used to it.

The primary reason I go to teenhelp is not to GET help, because I never have that many questions- its more to help other people because it makes me feel like I'm doing something good. Also, its good to have a backup place if I ever need any advice on anything, doesn't matter how major or minor. For whatever problem i have- I always go to teenhelp first. Just to see what other kids think- if they've ever had that problem before.

google.com or yahoo.com
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

It ought to look like this. A website dealing with these complex issues should not be oriented towards marketing, it should be oriented towards helping teens. We do not look for "trendy" because we're not here to be cool. In my experience, this is one of the few places I can open up. I trust these people because it's not "hip" or "trendy," it is people looking for help.

This is the only site that I can bear to look at. I've looked at others and just found too much...for lack of a better word...crap.

My primary reason is so that I can get viewpoints from other teenagers, those my age, about problems that I am having. I do not always come here before approaching an adult. It depends on the problem I'm having. If it is relationships or sexuality, yes, I either go to friends and/or this website because adults are too far detached from childhood (in my opinion) to give relationship advice, and no adults in my area have ever dealt with sexuality.

General information? Google Helpful information regarding my personal problems? Here
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

QUESTIONAIRE:

There can be two schools of thought here and I think it depends on the teens that you are catering to. If you have happy, trendy images of teenagers, it could trigger users to feel depressed in response to what they don't have, or encourage them to feel happier and more positive. In the same way triggering photos regarding self harm, suicide, eating disorders, depression or any other other common issues should be avoided. Coming to a teenhelp site should leave you feeling better informed and more at ease with your problems.

A site dedicated to helping teens should look professional enough for a teenager to trust it, and thus allowing them to seek help. An overly professional site would drive away a friendly atmosphere and perhaps lead teenagers to be turned away. teenhelp.org incorporates a user-friendly layout with a certain amount of professionalism which creates the perfect balance.

Most teen sites are easy to navigate though I haven't experienced many. The only other teen site I sometimes visit is the BBC one, but I rarely visit any others. this particular site, however, is divided into boys and girls sections, and so follows all the main stereotypes, which I disagree with.

Some problems just cannot be discussed with adults, or are difficult to discuss. Sex, sexuality, self harm etc are "taboo" topics to parents and adults, and sometimes teenagers just want anothers teens perspective on their problems. A lot of these issues wouldn't be discussed with friends either, if they are too personal.

Search for it. Ask.com or Yahoo.com
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

unpinned
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner