Languages

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
belis
Loyal

Re: Languages

Post by belis »

Impresing. wow people have lerned realy plenty of languages here. Am I the only one who speaks only 3 :(
She
Veteran

Post by She »

I'm an English speaker. I took a year of Spanish in eighth grade, learned next-to-nothing (the teacher sucked). I didn't like Spanish that much at all. We learned practically no grammar.

This year (sophomore) I took German I and II. I -love- German. It makes so much sense, it sounds awesome, and it's just fun. Plus, my teacher was -awesome-. I'm taking German III next year... sadly, there aren't enough people for German IV or V.

At our high school, I'd be willing to bet at least half the student population took/is taking/will take Spanish on account of the Spanish class offered in the middle school. There are probably four Spanish teachers in the high school. There are two full-time French teachers, and my German teacher did a class of French I and II this year as well. He's the only German teacher. There were about 21 people taking German I and II this year, and next year there will be 8 in German III. It's a dying language :(

Any other German students interested in practicing over AIM?
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
courty
Loyal

Post by courty »

I speak english and I have been learning to speak french for 4 years. I am not very good at french though.
belis
Loyal

Post by belis »

I am taking German GCSE this year so I am still beginer but sure, always happy to pracise.
sweethelp
Veteran

Post by sweethelp »

i am very fluent in english :) but i am currently taking French 2 even though this is my 3rd year taking it they consider the 1st 2 years to be combined but my teacher says im a natural :)

i know not very impressive but it works for me and i only have 1 more year of french left then im done unless i want to go on but i dont think i want to. my school only offers french and spanish but we have a lot of foreign students at our school especially Ukranian (sorry if i spelt it wrong) and they take ESL classes (english second language)

~~Kimmy~~
She's so big hearted

but not so remarkable

just an ordinary humble girl

expecting nothing as we may

to think it's a pretty person's worth

you are beautiful

and you'd better go show it

so go and look again

you gotta be true only if you really wanna go to the top and you really wanna win

don't believe in living normal

just to satisfy demand

Well, if you wanna get free

and if wanna get smart by the sake of your heart

you should own your lame and stand up tall

:)
belis
Loyal

Post by belis »

I am taking ESL as well (I am not Ukrainian but Polish though) ;).
5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 »

Originally posted by Nikki+May 30 2004, 09:33 AM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (Nikki @ May 30 2004, 09:33 AM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-belis@May 30 2004, 06:25 PM

My mother tongue is Polish, I speak fluent english and I am taking AS in german. Not impressive but works for me :P
Hey, dzin dobry :) I know, I suck at Polish orthography :P I just have 2 Polish friends at school, and I'm Russian myself, so with those friends I learned a bit of Polish, coz it has a lot of similar words and expressions with Russian :)[/b][/quote]

my native language is polish too..., i also speak english ( obviously), and i took french, russian and spanish ( i dont know that much of those anymore but still)
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come
belis
Loyal

Post by belis »

Polish is becoming very popular recently ;).
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

Originally posted by junglemonkey@May 30 2004, 01:07 PM

I have studied Latin, French, German.

They all sucked. Lol. Thought they were horribly boring. Dropped all languages ASAP!

Not everyone enjoys them. I for one LOVE French but I HATE Latin.
-Sam!
belis
Loyal

Post by belis »

Latin is not ver useful language to learn as nobady speaks it any more. It can be useful if you want to to law or medicine (or study French very deeply) but otherwise waist of time.
5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 »

Originally posted by belis@Jun 5 2004, 01:26 PM

Polish is becoming very popular recently ;).

good, it's been unapreciated for too long, i'm polish-american, and i'm very proud of both
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come
poetic_queeny
Loyal

Post by poetic_queeny »

Originally posted by belis@May 31 2004, 07:47 AM

Am I the only one who speaks only 3 :(

no i onyl speak 3...english (native language :P) and then german and french...although my french is quite bad as i onyl did a half course in it , didnt like very much...hated me teachers! german was good tho! got an A at GCSE in it which i woz proud of lol
When i cry i need you to wipe away all my tears....

Take away those fears....

and crush all bad i hear....

i am here to help...hannah_banana_sultana@hotmail.com if you need me...or email me on here :)

evrything you wana tell me will be respected and will be helped to the greatest of ability, and also the highest level of confidentiality
Cenote
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Cenote »

Sheesh, I feel so... not smart :P

I began learning spanish in 8th grade, and am finishing my third year in a few days. Im... not very good at it :shy: I can write pretty well, but if someone says something to me, I just kinda stare at them. I have zero listening comprehension skills. I want to read a book in smanish this summer to maybe help me out a bit.

I know a few words in Japanese, and a few words in Russian. Im half Russian, half european mutt, so I feel like I need to know more Russian. My mom speaks it tho.

I would be learning more languages, but my high school only offers Spanish, French, and German. I had something else to say, but I forgot it. Not sleeping enough has its perks :dancing: *does a little jig*
When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take a step into darkness of the unknown, we must believe one of two things will happen- there will be something solid for us to stand upon, or we will be taught to fly.
Smiley
Loyal

Post by Smiley »

3 years of French, last year was my last year of French although I might be taking courses over the summer in university to improve my speaking skills. I can read French really well and comprehend it, it's just to listen and speak it. (I blame that on my partial deafness though, haha) English is my first language and I'm taking Russian second year university. I'm going to work on teaching myself more languages since if I'm motivated enough, I can teach myself almost anything. (I learned some German that way, just to find the time though!)

My sister took Latin instead of French. She gets 100s consistantly in that class and is really fluent for only being a first year student in high school. (her overall average is going to end up being incredibly close to 100 this year for that class) grrr at that genius... heh
Did you ever hear the one about the boy's big sister? His best friend came along, and he tried to kiss her-The Wallflowers "The Difference"

"I don't need fire to commit arson, all's I need are these two hands and no parental supervision!"-Kelso, That 70s Show

And I will wait to find if this will last forever, and I will pay no mind, well it won?t, and it won?t, cause it can?t, it's not supposed to-John Mayer "Clarity"
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames »

I'm taking French 5-6 next year.

Yay for French. I wish my school offered Latin...

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

I didnt take anyt his year, but next year im taking spanish and french
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Post by NunchakuSteve »

I know english...

Je suis bon ? la fran?ais

Bueno dias. Tan B?sem ranmera attractiva ;)(spanish baby)

Hajimamashite, watashi wa Steve desu

Dobry den(sp?_czech_)

word?
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

woah... what does that mean? lol :P
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Post by NunchakuSteve »

Originally posted by NunchakuSteve@Jun 14 2004, 07:09 PM

I know english...

Je suis bon ? la fran?ais

Bueno dias. Tan B?sem ranmera attractiva ;)(spanish baby)

Hajimamashite, watashi wa Steve desu. O-genki desu ka?

Dobry den(sp?_czech_)

word?

I said..

I am good at French

Good day, kiss me sexy bitch

Welcome, I am Steve. How are you?

Good day.

word=word ;P