Does Anybody Know..

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
zanna85
Loyal

Does Anybody Know..

Post by zanna85 »

I got a letter today from them saying some crap about me being a "semi-finalist"...they had my poem i sent showing thru a window on the envelope (mom was a little weirded out because she didnt expect it...and what i wrote was only moderately depressing). i wan just wondering if this is a scam to get me to buy the book that they are supposedly put my poem in or what. if anybody has dealt with them before, please let me know what you know:) thanks

zanna
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Re: Does Anybody Know..

Post by FiZzBaW »

Friend,

I personally think its a scam in a way... but I know that if you do buy a book they will print your poem in that edition. My little sister's poem won and they published it in a book, what kinda freaked me out was that her poem was on the first page of the book, so I am still a little suspicious, but it is a way to get your work published.

She did recieve the book and her poem was in it, any more than that I do not know what to tell you. But if you do buy a book, please let me know if your poem is on the first page of the edition.... That would support my little theory, but I won't tell my little sister cause she was so proud..

-My thoughts

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

poetry.com is a scam.

'you've won.'

sure... 10,000 people submit, 10,000 get published..

a fraction of that group [as well as outsiders] buys it, they make money.. a ton of money.. at like $50 a book..

its a great system for making money..

congrads teenhelp, you've won site of the year.. now give me $50 for the 1x1pixel gold medal you'll get.. its a load of BS...

does that make sense?
--nj

daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

A publisher did this to my school. You had to submit poems and they'd publish the best ones.. only this book was only for sale within the school?

So they have parents, grandparents etc. all wanting a copy of this ?10 book because of the poem which was in it.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

It is a scam.... I still have my 'flyer' to order the book cause on the one I had the poem was in small on the back in a nice 'papered frame' (just on paper but has a picture of a frame and the words inside)
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
zanna85
Loyal

Post by zanna85 »

well im not buying the book and i guess i'll know if i "won" anything july 15. thanks for the replies people:)
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Originally posted by zanna85@Jun 19 2004, 10:24 AM

well im not buying the book and i guess i'll know if i "won" anything july 15. thanks for the replies people:)
You wont hear anything.

you are 1 of the 'semifinalists' right? this is their method

"you are one of the semifinalists, your poem will go in this book... you can buy it for 50 bux each. if you are the winner you will be notified on july 15."

in the OPERATION of the scam....

however many buy the book, they put your poem into a basket. on july 14 they draw a random poem from this basket and pronounce them the winner. They can give you a grand lets say because look how many are gullible that they buy the book. If 1000 people are 'semifinalists' and lets say 100 buy the book because they are gullible (10%) for 50 bux, the poetry.com has already made 5000 dollars. They can pay 'the winner' 1000 and are still left with 4000 in profit
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Sliver
Veteran

Post by Sliver »

its just a large scam.... i put my poem in, and they said i had to travel to Ohaio to recieve a certificate or some crap.... im not paying for a trip just to recieve a piece of shit certificate, and it was just a load of bull..... dont bother with it. :P TH/HT cud probably do something the same, and put the proceeds towards something.... like a charity???? :P sry random idea :P OD if u think thats good, then yay! :P u can have the idea :P hehehe... completely ff topic i know.
Sliver, A.K.A Tom/Tommy/Tommy Boy (thanks to Lisa and sweethelp)

Moderated with Sweethelp in Bullying forum from Oct 6 2003 to 2006 sometime.

Moderated in the Self Expression Forum and Computer forum mainly, along with the rest of the lounge, until December 2006.

Pariah
Veteran

Post by Pariah »

Yeah, sweetie its a rip off...

**Madison**
TeenHelp.org

Moderator of: Sex, Pregnancy, Sexuality, Disorders, and Friends/Family.

Mentor for: HelpLink.
5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 »

i got that too a couple of years ago, they said i'm a semi finalist.., i didnt buy the book, and they would still keep sending stuff to buy.. i dont like this site anymore, i dont think they care about the poems.., it's just so u'll buy stuff from them
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come
jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 »

Sorry hun but its a scam. I dont care what anyone says. I did it once just to put it out there...i knew it wasnt good enough to get anything. I got a few letters. Never bought the book and was glad I realized my poem sucked to much for the thing to be legit. Now I send them in for fun to see how many letters I get. My lates poem entitled.. "The Grand Design" or somethin like that had only three words....

You Guys Suck!

I got a letter for that damn thing.

It was hilarious

Love,

Jessi
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol