Enough!

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Deralti
Loyal

Enough!

Post by Deralti »

alright, I'm all for helping people with their questions, some rants , and asking for help on quitting SI. HOWEVER, I am tired of seeing people giving these utterly cheesy "don't do it" posts. They don't help anyone. At all. If they could stop that easily, they wouldn't be posting here. Now if you honestly don't have anything to say other than "please don't" or "I'm gonna cry if you do", then don't post at all. Ya get me?

*stomps off frustratedly*
Moderator of Suicide

Gay Kirby! (^_(O.o)

My avatar is actually a happy scene, don't be fooled.

So you're [insert non-straight sexuality here], does it look like I give a damn?

"Who is deralti? is she hot?"
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Re: Enough!

Post by FiZzBaW »

Friend,

Thanks for your little rant......

Though I am not experienced in this area much, I have to say that something helps more than nothing, and some people really care and are just not educated in how to help people with these problems... So I would suggest that you either give a way that people can help better or just stop complaining. There is no reason to cut people down, or discourage an effort to help.

I understand that those types of posts don't help much if any, but at least the person knows someone cares. If you discourage the posts all together, wouldn't that hurt the situation more than help......

-My thoughts

-FiZz

Moved from Self Harm to General
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Deralti
Loyal

Post by Deralti »

Originally posted by FiZzBaW@Jun 23 2004, 11:30 PM

Friend,

Thanks for your little rant......

Though I am not experienced in this area much, I have to say that something helps more than nothing, and some people really care and are just not educated in how to help people with these problems... So I would suggest that you either give a way that people can help better or just stop complaining. There is no reason to cut people down, or discourage an effort to help.

I understand that those types of posts don't help much if any, but at least the person knows someone cares. If you discourage the posts all together, wouldn't that hurt the situation more than help......

-My thoughts

-FiZz

Moved from Self Harm to General

True, but I've seen people avoid posting their issues because of the (mediocre?) answers. So, I guess it could go either way.
Moderator of Suicide

Gay Kirby! (^_(O.o)

My avatar is actually a happy scene, don't be fooled.

So you're [insert non-straight sexuality here], does it look like I give a damn?

"Who is deralti? is she hot?"
skaterGuy15
Veteran

Post by skaterGuy15 »

I think it's useless to have a post with only "don't do it" in it, but I think I would say that along with some other advice :huh: Hmm...I'm not sure. I'm not too good at helping with that sort of thing, but it's hard to come up with simple solutions for problems as serious as that. Not many people here are that experienced in actually helping people, for real, so I think most of them have the best intentions, even if they don't actually help. If it's just to raise post counts then that's annoying..but hey, something is better than nothing...maybe?
I wish I were a spy.
jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 »

now wait a second. true that some people only wanna have more posts but thats not the case for everyone. im prolly one of the annoying people you talk about. though i dont do it too often. what i say is "dont cut cuz it doesnt help anyone and yr just gonna hate yrself for it later." then i tell them if they need a chat im here for them. i know it doesnt help too much but at least they know they have someone to turn to when it gets bad. im sorry you dont understand why *some* people do that...

(not tryin to sound holier than thou but its true most people just wanna help)

Jessi
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

I kind of agree with Deralti though. I don't even notice the post counts. *looks in Jeff's direction* cough cough... : P
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

Born on: February 26th, 2007

<3

----------------------

"Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief."

dead rose
Needs Another Hobby

Post by dead rose »

i understand where Deralti is comming. yes statements like that arent much help in some cases. but sometimes i guess they can be. it just depends on the person i guess. maybe instead of sayin things like "dont do it" someoen can also offer some other advice on how to not do it. ::::shurgs:::: just a thought. anyway..thats my thoughts and that. and if someone just posts something that only says "dont do it" then yea thats not really helping...but dont post things like that just to get a higher post count. no one should do that..you should post stuff bcuz you want to help others, not to get a bigger number. im not pointing fingers at anyone now (i have no one to point at..lol) so please dont jump on me for anything.
Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

I agree with you on this. When I don't know what to say to a post- with a serious problem, or not serious, I don't post anything until I'm really ready to think about WHY they shouldn't do it, because obviously they've thought "I shouldn't do this.." and it hasn't helped. People need to provide REASONS for things- and thats why I think there are one or two mods that shouldn't BE mods because all they write is "Dont do this- come on, please don't. Pm me if you want." - I mean, its nice and all, but when someone has this whole long post, they want ANSWERS, OPINIONS, not just "dont do it" or pm me if you need help- they obviously want the help..

I guess its good to have someone show that they care though- but, I definately agree with you.
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"
Pariah
Veteran

Post by Pariah »

But dosent

it help

to know

someon cares?

**Madison**
TeenHelp.org

Moderator of: Sex, Pregnancy, Sexuality, Disorders, and Friends/Family.

Mentor for: HelpLink.
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

you cant give suggestions though besides "oh try writing, it helps" or something because most of the suggestions are against the rules :huh:
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

If people really thought about it, they could definitely come up with better suggestions than "start a journal" or a 1 word reply. Seriously, I know people who post want lots of posts to their topics but they also want ADVICE.

I won't come on here unless I feel I can be helpful and constructive.
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

Originally posted by Pariah@Jun 25 2004, 04:31 PM

But dosent

it help

to know

someon cares?

**Madison**

It always helps- but usually they're asking advice on a specific matter, and POSTING so people can give ANSWERS and OPINIONS, not "it will be okay! This will go away soon! Pm me if you want to talk!" Because, the more you do that to peoples posts, the LESS it will mean something.

And beautiful, there are many suggestions other than "oh try writing, it helps" - if one cant think of better suggestions , if they dont try harder to come up with something unique and helpful, then... maybe one should think about their placement.
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"