Teenhelp.org?

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
daffodildreams
Veteran

Re: Teenhelp.org?

Post by daffodildreams »

I'm still tired, but here we go into the 10th page of the topic.

It'll HOPEFULLY be online sooner than end of August. I'm doing temporary work right now and it looks like my contract in this place will end soonish, so I'm not exactly leaving full time work ~again~ to work on the site.. but I won't be taking another job up. Maybe go work in the Oxfam bookshop or something part time to keep me busy :)

ANYBODY who wants to help out on the new site (by help, I mean help.. not sit around and moan about how things should be done) is VERY VERY WELCOME to come and help. We're not going to say "Oo well you work for HT so you can't come work for us" kinda thing. There are some people who I trust very much going to be coming onboard to work with the SG's, but that doesn't mean to say there won't be LOTS of other things which people can do.

There is an established mentor staff coming onboard to help with the help requests, but anybody who can remember from before.. there are like 100 emails coming into the site on any given day. We very rarely saw the red helps cleared when it was online before.. it's a lot of work. A hell of a lot of work.

Cindy, I don't really know what to say to you at the moment. If you see this as a sort of betrayal then I dunno.. I don't really wish to "stay away" cos I don't wish to have to choose like I had to years back between TAO and teenhelp.

If you want to close this topic though and tell people to email us with their questions then I'm happy for that to happen now, I think this is drawing to a close kindof..

fluffyhelen
pynkgodde55
Loyal

Post by pynkgodde55 »

Well, before you close it, I kind of agree with Cindy! *not that angry though* I don't think we should dwell on the past but its kind of hard not to when all this shady stuff happens behind the scenes. Winston, in your post, you basically made it seem like Adam and Skye were the bad ones and your were just this good guy trying to help. It seems far fetched to me. Maybe they were mad at you but I'm sure if you told them that you wanted to help, they wouldn't have ignored you.
[center]Image[/center]

[center]Xanga/MySpace[/center][center]Wanna Know More about Jen?[/center]
winston
Loyal

Post by winston »

Originally posted by pynkgodde55@Jul 28 2004, 06:48 AM

Well, before you close it, I kind of agree with Cindy! *not that angry though* I don't think we should dwell on the past but its kind of hard not to when all this shady stuff happens behind the scenes. Winston, in your post, you basically made it seem like Adam and Skye were the bad ones and your were just this good guy trying to help. It seems far fetched to me. Maybe they were mad at you but I'm sure if you told them that you wanted to help, they wouldn't have ignored you.

It may sound a little far fetched to you. But i'm just laying out what happened. I'm sorry if I made it seem like Adam and Skye were the bad ones, because I'm sure we can agree that some things could've been done differently on both sides. Instead of just simply telling me that you don't believe me, maybe a more open-ended approach would be to asking the HT admins if what I said is really true.
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

We're not being shady about anything! We're trying to be as open and honest as possible!!
pynkgodde55
Loyal

Post by pynkgodde55 »

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here and I'm really refering to Winston when I say "shady".

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry!
[center]Image[/center]

[center]Xanga/MySpace[/center][center]Wanna Know More about Jen?[/center]
Barbies are Evil
Veteran

Post by Barbies are Evil »

I tried to stay out of this, I really did, but now I have to say something.........winston may have done some things people do not agree with, and from that people might be hostile.........but from what I can tell, he's sincere now, and things will be sort of ok...........so everyone, get off of winstons back and lets continue with the backbone of this TH/HT situation..........which in the long run is being a caring and helpful community. So everybody get off this topic, and go help in some topics. Sorry if I was blunt, Erin
TJ[10:13 PM]: no not really..... it's all so.... like wow..... screw steps, you took a fuckin jet pack and strapped it on yourself and rocketed your way forward (thats my big bro)

And I'm going to extremes

Tomorrow I will change

And today won't mean a thing

I'm a bitch, I'm a tease

I'm a goddess on my knees

When you hurt, when you suffer

I'm your angel undercover

I've been numb, I'm revived

Can't say I'm not alive

You know I wouldn't want it any other way

Meredith Brooks-Bitch
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

Cindy- I have just lost a lot of respect for you. You were the only admin I had much respect for to be honest, and that respect is pretty much gone. The fact that you consider people who want to set up another site for helping teens as betrayal, is rather appauling. Add to that that you don't want the people who are being attacked to defend themselves by posting on her, is even more appauling. I never thought I'd ever see an admin tell anyone they are not welcome on this site. I expect it from some of the other people on the site, but not you.

It seems to me that you're more focused on the split then what you say these sites are here to do, help teens. I guess maybe you needed to vent or something, but your reply was anything but adult like.

As I said before, I thought we were all here to help teens. Yes there has been some fuck ups on both sides of the story, I agree that Winston made some mistakes, Adam and Skye made some too. But this isn't the point, the point is what's done is done, and now is time to do what we all came here to do, not focus on the drama, not to bitch and yell at each other, not to be on the better site, but to focus on helping people.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

One million deaths is a statistic" ~Joseph Stalin
Pariah
Veteran

Post by Pariah »

I wanna know, why dont winston, jake, skye, adam, cindy (and any other admin) have an ADULT conversation, and make one site, or are we to childish for that.....

Im so sick of this shit, from both sides...i mean its stupid, i for one LOVE drama, this is going to far, when i found out wat had happened at first to TH/HT I CRYED! I thought it was all falling apart, i think some of you need to think, before you open your mouths, this site, and the people on this site, ARE MY BEST FRIENDS! Without this site, i would problay be dead....NO ONE or Thing or Site, could help me as much as the people on here.....

I for one, Love TH/HT and you know what, who knows i might go see wat the new TH is all about, but you guys need to think about US, not saving a quick buck.
TeenHelp.org

Moderator of: Sex, Pregnancy, Sexuality, Disorders, and Friends/Family.

Mentor for: HelpLink.
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

Originally posted by Pariah@Jul 28 2004, 11:34 AM

I wanna know, why dont winston, jake, skye, adam, cindy (and any other admin) have an ADULT conversation, and make one site, or are we to childish for that......

I beleive this has been discussed several times over in this thread. Go back and read through. You'll find the answer to your question.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

Pariah
Veteran

Post by Pariah »

i know but thats before, IM talkin about right now! Not 2 wks ago :) or 2 months ago. As of this moment.
TeenHelp.org

Moderator of: Sex, Pregnancy, Sexuality, Disorders, and Friends/Family.

Mentor for: HelpLink.
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

I don't think that would work, Skye and Adam obviously have strong feelings of anger towards Winston and those on board with the new TH. Another reason is that Helen is an Admin for the new TH, I think she's been barred from ever being an admin on this site again, which would cause some more problems. I'm pretty sure it would just be easier for the Admins of each respective site to stay seperate.

Don't quote me as being 100% accurate though.

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

Originally posted by FryGuy@Jul 28 2004, 01:18 PM

I don't think that would work, Skye and Adam obviously have strong feelings of anger towards Winston and those on board with the new TH. Another reason is that Helen is an Admin for the new TH, I think she's been barred from ever being an admin on this site again, which would cause some more problems. I'm pretty sure it would just be easier for the Admins of each respective site to stay seperate.

Don't quote me as being 100% accurate though.

I think Cindy's pretty angry as well, and Fizzbaw has'nt even said anything. So I would'nt know. Nor either would anyone else except Fizzbaw. But I wish this has'nt all blown up like it has. It would have been cool if the admin had bitten back their anger and helped TH be set up.And help be run. So that tons of teens are getting the help they want.
Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
girl_about_town
Veteran

Post by girl_about_town »

I know you're not all gonna b pleased, but I'm on board wi TH. reading all this has made me see things differently.

how about you fryguy? I know you'll have been asked too.
Love Katie x x x
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

Friends,

Since someone actually noticed that I never really replied to any public topics on this matter, I thought it might be time for me to state my position.

I started off at this site as a simple users, just like most of you who are posting in this thread. I came here to help others, and I quickly became the moderator of the Religion forum after it was closed down for several reasons. I volunteered to clean it up and begged for its reopening. As the story continued I became a Supermod, and then eventually an Admin. I can not say If I was qualified but I can say that I love helping people and I do cherish all of the positions I have had on this site.

I am sincerly heartbroken by this entire domain situation. I have friends on both sides of the mess and I cherish each and every one of their friendships dearly, and I am torn. The only thing I know for sure is that I really dislike Mike Fox, and I want to and will continue to help teens. I will continue to strive to see that a safe environment is provided for people to get help.

I really wish that Mike Fox would have been a man and stuck to his promise with Adam to sell the site to him and no one else, and I really wish that Winston would have researched his purchase more before bidding, I really with that Adam/Skye would have not acted so rashly, even though I was there when it was happening and I was not very objective as Winston did portray himself as an outsider (which he was) and we all Sincerly felt that the community was being put at a severe risk. This was a legitiment fear, I will attest to this myself, I was there for some of the conversations and read the logs of the others, I feared for the community. Whats done is done, but I think its time for us all to get over ourselves and work together for the common good of a safe online help community.

I still fear for the community, because I now feel that everyone is torn, I really hope that sometime soon that this is all solved and maybe the sites can join together. I do believe that our Administration could devote more time to the site, but we are only human, I know Jake and Helen want to help teens just as much as I do. They are my friends, just as Adam and Skye and Cindy are my friends. I am so torn and heartbroken just like the rest of you.

I know in my heart that between the two sites or maybe a consolidated site one day, there will be a Safe environment for teens to get advice and help. This loving community WILL survive!

I think I could go on and on, but I doubt that anyone will actually read this anyway.

-My sincere thoughts

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake »

Originally posted by FiZzBaW@Jul 28 2004, 11:17 PM

-My sincere thoughts

-FiZz

You'd be surprised how much someone listens to you when you are straight forward and honest. :) It's your additude that you portray (shown in this post, acctually) that is the reason why you are a admin.

I'm sure the sites could be joined together again, but the problem is that both sides have different opinions about how that should be done. Winston wants the old teenhelp back, but he also wants a new and better site for it which will help teens better. Adam wants the old site back on teenhelp, but only if he owns the domain, in which he would need the community to donate $2,000 dollars because he only has around a thousand, and winston can't afford to buy a domain just to give it to someone else.

I wish the sites could be one, but both sides are at fault for that not being possible. Now all we can do is our best to make sure that things don't get messed up in the process. We need to get back to what is important. Noone says you have to chose between either site.
-Jacob Wilson
winston
Loyal

Post by winston »

Just to be very very very clear on one thing. I never ever... or ever would put ANY sort of ads that would degrade such a community. Don't know who you hear those rumors from... but I know who/how they got started. I did say something along those lines.. but I was only kidding. I thought it was obvious when I was speaking with Skye that I was kidding about that (I was trying to crack a smile on her). Who in their right mind would ruin such a great community. Would I honestly spend thousands of my own money to buy a site devoted to helping teens.. just to make a mockery of it (and at the same time hope to earn thousands from it)? Of course not! There are better investments when it comes to making money. I just want to be extremely clear on this fact.

Also the phBB thing. I didn't set that up. Some one wanted to buy the domain from me... and he wanted to place some content on the domain so it wouldn't loose search engine rankings. That's why he had the phBB up. To be honest... I didn't even notice anyone was attacking the site. =)

No need for apologies, TBH. I understand why you did what you did back then.

-Winston
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

It wasn't just skye you fooled, it was me too. I thought you were going to put the ads on the rest of the website too, so it wasn't just Skye...
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

I was in the chat when he mentioned it. It was the 3 of us talking.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

If there are any ads going on the site, they will not be for money going into Winston's pocket, they will be for funding things like a chatroom or anything else which might be needed to improve the website.

We do NOT forsee this happening soon though!

We're going to try and get donations, and free stuff as far as possible and Winston has already been paying out more money since he bought the domain!! We're trying to keep costs low by using opensource software and crediting the developers.

There will be nothing "hidden", there will be no "secrets". All you need to do is catch one of us on MSN/AIM when we are online and we'll be happy(ish, we are very busy right now) to run things through for you.

People are saying "Ooo two communities", but that's nothing new in the world of these sites. Trappedminds is a different community, teen-moods is a different community, teenmentors is a different community. Without diversity we can't really grow, and we'll have different ways of doing things and running things too.. so you'll benefit from whichever communities you are a part of.

I know a lot of people on there cross over at least 2 of the above mentioned communities. If we start segregating ourselves, then we'll end up like TAO has.. a small cliche of mentors who won't communicate with anybody "outside" of their community. Sit in their chatroom for 10 minutes with MIRC open and the dialouge window and WATCH as all the banned users and domain names try to connect to their chatroom.. they still get a lot of users, but I think they've got half of the internet banned now!!

Let's just see what can happen, whatever happens it will hopefully be for the good of everybody involved. Teenhelp won't be quite the same as helpingteens or trappedminds or anywhere else, but we'll try our best to make it a habitable place where you feel safe discussing topics. Users always come first, user suggestions are always taken into account.

If we can move forwards now instead of hanging on to what has happened then I think it will be for the benefit of all involved.

As a sidenote, a few people have been specifically asked to help out with the new site. These are basically existing teenmentors administrators who I trust with my LIFE (or at least my server password..) and FryGuy has also been asked to help out too. His real name is Andy, betcha didn't know that. :)
girl_about_town
Veteran

Post by girl_about_town »

I trust Helen on this one. :)
Love Katie x x x