Teenhelp.org?

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Skye
Veteran

Re: Teenhelp.org?

Post by Skye »

- Folks, let's all calm down. We are all guilty of it here. This is a heated subject.

*counts*

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

*breaths*

Ah, calmer. :) :lol:
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

my questions for winston

1) will you find your own design and logo for the site or are you gonna stick with the old one?

2) will you be my brother you seem alot nicer then my brothers and i am lacking in the money department which from the looks of it you arent so yeah

3) what kind of "minds" do you have working with you and how do you know they are really all that fit for making this type of website? i mean cuz i know alot of the people here have in a way grown up to knowing how to help people here.

i think thats all i have for now-MARY
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
winston
Loyal

Post by winston »

Hey LostMySanity,

1) We are going to go with a completely new design. The logo will bear some resemblence to all the old ones in keeping with TH tradition. We will have the same basic functions as we once did... support groups (of course), helplink to start off with. All the things to make TH a real community of helping. We will also have articles that were written for TH before the sale. We have many new ideas to be implemented also, many still on the drawing board.

2) I don't have much money (but I have enough... it doesnt take much money to survive in the US with $1 burgers), but I'll be your bro. =)

3) Wow. What a question. There are so many people that I don't know where to start:

Helen: Previous admin of TH. Left her job to work full time on TH. Full of ideas and passion.

Jake: Previous admin of TH. Loves TH. Knowledgable of lots of "web stuff".

We also have 30+ mentors ready to helpout on HelpLink, a couple of trusted people to help moderate the forums, a flash programmer who has offered his services, a programmer who's skilled in template creation... and most critically, the MANY people who've told us that they're willing to be apart of the TH again. Sorry if I'm forgetting anyone but I've been getting tons of emails about TeenHelp and we are still organizing who's doing what.

I hope this helps.

-Winston
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

um will you be linking HT on TH?
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

I really think its great that now there will be 2 websites for helping. I know Helen cares so I do think that it will workout. It just kind of feels like everyone is against what is going on. Lots of times things don't workout as planned but I think that both websites can be great for helping people if that is what everyone wants. ;) Maybe I am too open minded.. but hopefully things can come together some how and everything will work out and help everyone.
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
winston
Loyal

Post by winston »

Originally posted by LostMySanity@Jul 27 2004, 07:08 PM

um will you be linking HT on TH?

Anything is possible. I know things did get off to a rocky start. But I've always been open to positive talk. And remember, not all decisions made on TH will be made by me. TH won't be any sort of dictatorship just because I happen to own the domain. The staff will discuss things collectively and make decisions based for the better of the community.
Pariah
Veteran

Post by Pariah »

Look im sorry if i sounded like a bitch or anything, i kinda cant help it, but i have a rather simple question, how come As soon as you became the owner, you didnt PM, Skye or Adam, and say Hi im the new owner of TH, I really want to help, but id rather keep everything the same....

They just seems like the thing i would have done, to save some drama you know...

*Cathleen*
TeenHelp.org

Moderator of: Sex, Pregnancy, Sexuality, Disorders, and Friends/Family.

Mentor for: HelpLink.
four
Veteran

Post by four »

I do not know who you have as a flash programmer or what you would have them doing, but I have one thing to say about that: Flash sucks balls. Please, avoid it at all costs. It is slow, bulky, and annoying.
NAAM
winston
Loyal

Post by winston »

Originally posted by Pariah@Jul 27 2004, 09:04 PM

Look im sorry if i sounded like a bitch or anything, i kinda cant help it, but i have a rather simple question, how come As soon as you became the owner, you didnt PM, Skye or Adam, and say Hi im the new owner of TH, I really want to help, but id rather keep everything the same....

They just seems like the thing i would have done, to save some drama you know...

*Cathleen*

Hey Cathleen,

Actually that's exactly what I did. I emailed both Adam and Skye saying that I was the new owner. The HT admin team was completely caught off guard as Mike Fox didn't tell them anything about the sale. I spoke with Skye for a long while via AIM on one evening and essentially I didn't want to change the site too much since I was pretty new and they knew much more about the community. I did tell her that I had huge respect for her and Adam, and that I understood that the situation sucked. I told them I was hoping to work together somehow and work with them. They asked me what I wanted, and I did mention requesting my little brother help run the site. After this request, things just went downhill from there. Thinking I could lighten up the mood I thought that I could throw in something about placing sex ads all over the site (which was OBVIOUSLY a joke since it was so far fetched and would completely ruin the site) but I don't think Skye found that funny at all. I eventually had to go to sleep and we ended the conversation. That's when they both started to ignore me.

I continued to email them asking them to talk to me. I continued to IM them on AIM asking if they would talk to me. No answer. All of a sudden, HT was born.

I was really offended that they did that without talking to me, but I understood why they did what they did. Putting the fact that all the content from TH was removed leaving the domain with nothing behind me, I moved ahead and continued to try to talk to them about consolidating the domain with the content (realizing that there was much love for TH in the community). Once again, we went into talks about Adam purcashing the domain for $1,000. I told them that I wouldn't do it for that (since I'd be losing $2,500). So then again I was ignored, even as I backed down more and more.

By this time, I was really realizing that the community at TH was extremely important to many people. Somehow, i found a public posting here saying that I was unreasonable (I think Skye posted that). I replied saying that I've been trying to talk to her this whole time. And that it was they who closed communications with me. We started negotiations again.

After more than a month, a contract had been created, and we were finalizing the contract for weeks. During this time I was getting floods of emails for helping start the site anew. I learn huge amount about the history and the old admins and stories of politics and rivalries. After hearing about a certain previous admin, it really made me take a step back and think to myself... "wow, that's an awesome girl, someone who would really have TH be the best it could be". It just so happened, to my surprise, I got an email from her about a couple weeks after that. After talking to her for quite a while, as well as seeking the advice of previous admins, everything was changed.
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Well, I still believe that it was a very dirty thing to do to work with Adam on that contract and then back out at the last second. Really gets under my skin. But, whatever, I think I'm done with this topic.

Doug
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
winston
Loyal

Post by winston »

I was extremely sincere on keeping up my side of the contract. I was genuine about working something out with the admins here. I also put time and work into the creation of the contract. If I knew that TH would've started anew, then I wouldn't have wasted his time or my time. My intentions weren't for this situation to turn "dirty", you know what I mean?

-Winston
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Well, obviously you were sincere when you were working on it, I have no doubts about that. (Only a real asshole would not be sincere, lol) But, in my opinion, you should have carried through with the contract when it reached that final stage. But, whatever man, it's all in the past.

Just as everyone else seems to have said, in the beginning with this I was very angry. It really got under my skin. I still completely disagree with what you did, but I realize there's nothing I can do to change it. So, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you do help a lot of teens, because that is, after all, THE most important thing. I've calmed down now and realized that. Good luck with the website, I hope your intentions stay pure.

Doug
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

I, as well, think I came off a little to strongly. I guess there are somethings that will bug someone till they can't handle being calm anymore. I'm glad that we have 2 sites helping teens. As long as that is what the site is made for and nothing else. Good Luck Winston. I'm sorry about everything. And again..Good luck with everything. :)
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake »

Originally posted by four@Jul 27 2004, 09:17 PM

I do not know who you have as a flash programmer or what you would have them doing, but I have one thing to say about that: Flash sucks balls. Please, avoid it at all costs. It is slow, bulky, and annoying.

Flaswh will be used as little as possible. If I think it will slow down the site, it won't be on the site. I'll make it my personal duty to make sure :) We are just considering flash for small things, and even that is just a consideration, and definatly not set in stone. :)

-Jake
-Jacob Wilson
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

Winston, There resly is no excuse for what you did in my eyes. Amd i beleive that i'm more sickened by the turn of event of people betraying the community and then attacking this one *Looks directily at Jake*

Ireally do not care anymore but i am SO FUCKING SICK of this BULL SHIT.

If your going to sit up TH, the do it, but stay the fuck off our site in the mean time. I find that Admins going back and sitting up "TH" instead of making sure that everything is worked out if very cowerdly (More looking toward Jake then anyone else).

I'm jsut sick of all of this bull shit, really. My fiance, my father and my mother know how much drama goes on this site, and 2 of them have never been on this site, and my fiance hate this site because of the drama (He use to be a user for a while of the site).

It is just sicking how this has turned out. and i for on am pissed of tired of keeping quiet. Do what you wish, but LEAVE THIS FUCKIGN SITE ALONE. God... I'm so SICK of this shit being on here.

This site, and last time I knew was for HELPING teens. That may be why TEEN and HELP are in the DOMAIN NAMES. It seems liek EVERY FUCKING PERSON has lost sight of this little thing. We were one site. One loving and careing site full of drama but still loving.

Truthfully, i would like to see this thing talked through like adults, but that seems to have left along time ago. Really.. its sicking..

I'm going to bed, and if anyone wants to reply to this little comment and say anything that will violate any rules, hit the PM button first. do NOT do it in this topic.

Now excuse me, i gotta go cry....

Cindy
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake »

Cindy. This is not just a reply to you. It is also a reply to anyone else who feels the way you do...

Winston bought teenhelp.org from Mike Fox in order to try and help teenagers. He bought the site out of his own pocket in order to try and help it be even better than it was when he bought it. You know what happened before he even had a chance to say anything? The site was pulled out from underneath him. He didn't do anything, didn't say anything at all that would suggest that the site was in danger, yet the admins (for reasons which I am oblivious to to this day) pulled the site from teenhelp.

Now, I agree that one person does not own teenhelp. I also agree that it is the community that makes teenhelp what it is. However, Skye and Adam didn't even give him a chance. to show that things could work with him as a owner. *looks at noone in particular, because he's not going to pin things on anyone specific* :rolleyes:

As you said, all that is over now though. There has been a decision, and it will be stuck to. We will build teenhelp back up to where it was before, so that we can get back on track with what does count. That is, helping teens.

Wether or not the community decides to accept the new site, that's up to the people on this site. We arn't doing this to prove we can do it better, we are doing this because it needs to be done. We are doing this because we serve the community and work to give it what it needs to grow, and help itself.

I know you hate me, and nothing will change that for a long time, but you need to know that even though we arn't on the same team we still have the same goals in mind. You want to get back on track to doing what is important (helping teens); we do too, and we will do our best to make sure that happens, on both sites.

-Jacob Wilson

"Serve, help, live."
iHEAVENn2
Veteran

Post by iHEAVENn2 »

question for winston jake and helen..

do you know when the site will be up? cause i personally wouldnt mind being on both sites helpin people
Once in a lifetime, you find the one you really love.

For now and forever, one love that never ends.

Once in a lifetime, when every star that lights the sky.

Will shine with one reason, leading your heart to the one love you find.

Just once in your life..

Just once in a lifetime...

Soda tart!!

.:..::.?? Toga party anyone ??.::..:.
Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake »

Originally posted by iHEAVENn@Jul 27 2004, 11:46 PM

question for winston jake and helen..

do you know when the site will be up? cause i personally wouldnt mind being on both sites helpin people

:) Hopefully before the second half of August. No matter what, if it means we just need to put up a temporary forum until we are done with the site's backend, we will have a site up for teens to go to by then. I'm pretty sure though that we'll have a full structured site by then though.
-Jacob Wilson
iHEAVENn2
Veteran

Post by iHEAVENn2 »

okay, thank you jake :)

Once in a lifetime, when every star that lights the sky.

Will shine with one reason, leading your heart to the one love you find.

Just once in your life..

Just once in a lifetime...

Soda tart!!

.:..::.?? Toga party anyone ??.::..:.
Matdredalia
Loyal

Post by Matdredalia »

Originally posted by iHEAVENn@Jul 27 2004, 02:26 PM

-doesnt exactly see the point of everyone jumping on winston now that we have HT and theres still going to be a TH...............-

but maybe thats just me??

My honest opinion of this whole thing is... Grow up?

We've now got two sites to help people...

Isnt that all that should matter??

Not who owns the site or who works on the site. But that theres still going to be a site.. and weve got a somewhat new one....

This really shouldnt be that big of a deal anymore its been what a month or maybe two now? come on people be happy youve got two sites.

My thoughts, exactly, iHEAVEN. My thoughts exactly. I'm sick of the who did what. It's not like Winston is trying to shut down HelpingTeens. We just need to drop it all and get back to what's important: HELPING!
~Mandy

S-I Free since May 26th, 2004

Blog

"It doesn't take a weather man

To look around and see the weather

Jeb said he'd deliver Florida, folks

And boy did he ever

And we hold these truths to be self evident,

#1 George W. Bush is not President,

#2 America is not a true Democracy,

and #3 the Media is not fooling me"

~Ani DiFranco, Self Evident