The New Teenhelp...

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
OverDrive
Veteran

Re: The New Teenhelp...

Post by OverDrive »

You are correct, I could have done it in a nicer tone, but then again, tone is also denoted by the reader.

I'm also running on 4 hours of sleep and i'm off to sleep now cause i can't think anymore...tonight
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

Originally posted by OverDrive@Jul 24 2004, 11:29 PM

You are correct, I could have done it in a nicer tone, but then again, tone is also denoted by the reader.

I'm also running on 4 hours of sleep and i'm off to sleep now cause i can't think anymore...tonight

I AM SO HOLDING YOU TO THIS, the next time i get a warning. Had you been a normal user you would have been warned. remember that.

Admin Activity: and jake, you have no clue how much skye is actually here.. and the site is safely in place, not much more to do.. also, i worked along skye and cindy this month while the forums were under attack.. so don't claim they don't do anything..

Helplink: you have the resources to pay a php coder? then do it..
--nj

Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake »

Originally posted by kneesofmybees+Jul 24 2004, 10:49 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (kneesofmybees @ Jul 24 2004, 10:49 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-OverDrive@Jul 24 2004, 11:29 PM

I AM SO HOLDING YOU TO THIS, the next time i get a warning. Had you been a normal user you would have been warned. remember that.

Admin Activity: and jake, you have no clue how much skye is actually here.. and the site is safely in place, not much more to do.. also, i worked along skye and cindy this month while the forums were under attack.. so don't claim they don't do anything..

Helplink: you have the resources to pay a php coder? then do it..[/b][/quote]

Obviously, because the site is still running (quite well in fact) the admins are definatly still a presense on the site. I never said they wern't, I just said they have their own lifes that have been keeping them busy. I talk to adam every now and then and he has told me that much.

You don't need a PHP coder to install a help software, as Adam has already shown. It may be a temporary solution, but it is still one that can be done in order to keep help available through that avenu.
-Jacob Wilson
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

As I have said, a 'stock' support ticket system where a teen is assigned a number and sent and email is not a viable solution to the problem. I don't want to ask for help an see; 'issue number 02356547852512 - resolved.' funny how you do a 180 in the face of somebody like me.. :)
--nj

Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake »

-Jacob Wilson
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

--nj

daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

This is silly. Help sites are run by real people who have real lives. At the moment teenmentors is running with a ticket system and it's going fine.

''

HT runs this site the way they want to, if you don't like it then go to any other of the 200000 million help sites on the net. TH will run how it wants to. This is not a "competition" and if I saw any of the staff of teenmentors going onto other websites and slagging them off then I'd be very annoyed.

There is no need for it, anybody involved with the new teenhelp.. stop trying to pull the higher ground cos it doesn't work. Just try and get along.
yoaliens3000
Veteran

Post by yoaliens3000 »

teenhelp.org wont be better then helpingteens.org. its common sense. helpingteens.org has the userbase that the new teenhelp will never have. it would take teenhelp a long time to even get that same userbase back. its not going to happen.
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

We're not running a competition here, HT has a userbase which it will take TH a long time to get going with again. We respect that and aren't going to try and "take" it back from here.

I've made my statement about my involvement here:

Hello everybody.

Since you've all been wondering what on EARTH has been going on with the teenhelp.org domain, I shall try and explain now.

My name is Helen Watters (I used to be called Salt before I got married in 2001) and I'm 20 years old. I've been involved with teenhelp for quite awhile now, somewhere around the region that Adam has. It's a long time, anybody who has been around this long will have seen a lot of things happen to the site.

If you go to archive.org, you can see old versions of teenhelp.org. You'll notice my name plastered across some of those pages, Adam's is too as he was a chat administrator for ages and ages.

I used to be an administrator for teenhelp.org alongside Branden Thomas and Geoff Roberts. When Geoff resigned, it was just me and Branden left. I gave up my job to work on teenhelp.org full time. I'd get up at 11am in the morning and go to bed somewhere around 5am, my marriage suffered to the point of breakup at the end of 2001 and in the end I had to be removed from the site for my own sanity.

Since then, various things have happened. The domain has changed hands quite a few times and owners a couple of times. All the time I've been trying to help (or in some cases.. not help very much) as much as possible either on the email staff or just as a user in the support groups. I've also been involved in setting up my own advice sites.. one domain costing me ?400+ to rescue the site from it's previous owner. I was angry that he charged me that much for the domain, but that's the sort of lengths I'll go to to save a website.

Now, I do not have $3501, or anything close to that amount. If I did, I would have happily offered Winston the money and prevented any further sales of the teenhelp.org domain. I'm sure Adam would do the same thing if he had the money too. Unfortunately, we don't so we have to do anything in our power to ensure the communities continue. You're all very lucky that Adam and Skye care enough to take what was TH content and move it onto a new server with these forums, because it means your support network which you have built up since December 2002 in here is maintained. This is something I respect they have done, because I am a user here too.

I also respect the content which they have moved across, Adam is right that teenhelp.org wants to make a fresh start. The articles were written ages ago, and have since been improved on in many ways and teenhelp.org will not be using these.

In the next few weeks, you will see a website go online with teenhelp.org. At the moment there is just a holding page with Jake's address on it, you can contact him or myself (helen@teenhelp.org) if you have any questions.

If you wish to join another community on teenhelp.org, feel free. We also respect your decision if you wish to stay here, you know where your support networks are and we will not try to infringe on this.

It takes time to build up a site from scratch so don't expect miracles from us straight away. There will be a website at the teenhelp.org domain very soon though, it's obviously difficult installing one in the 6 hours I have in the evening to do the teenmentors work and the teenhelp work. What I will not do is quit my day job again and work myself through the floor like last time though!!

Like I say, any questions. I personally want to keep this as amiable as possible as I've known a lot of you on here for a long time and do not wish my involvement with the new teenhelp.org to stand in the way of these friendships.

In fluffyness,

Helen x
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

- Moved to General and Closed

- There's no need for two of the same topic.

- index.php?showtopic=36543
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.