Mass Media Project!

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
WildConfusion
Loyal

Mass Media Project!

Post by WildConfusion »

In my mass media class right now, we're doing a trial against television. Our topic is, "Television advertising is hereby charged with distorting the image of political candidates."

My partner and I are on the defense, and are looking for information on how the truth is revealed on tv, not lies. We have to have 6 minutes worth of opening and clsoing statements, and have to have witnesses and stuff.

Although I'm on the defense, I'd be happy with information/opinions on the other side.

Help? Opinions?
Doug
Veteran

Re: Mass Media Project!

Post by Doug »

Well, there is no doubt that the media distorts images of politicians, whether it is done intentionally or not. I assume we're talking about the news media and not political campaigns themselves, correct? Especially lately, the major news organizations (CNN, FOX, etc.) have been allowing campaigns to speak about a candidate, misleadingly, because they have not researched what candidates are saying to determine the truth behind what they are saying.

Example: The Bush-Cheney Campaign has repeatedly called the Kerry-Edwards team "The first and third most liberal members of the senate." They say to look at the voting records of the two candidates and to look at reports that were done. However, the media hasn't researched, they have taken the rhetoric at face value. What the reports actually say is that last year the two had the first and third most liberal voting records. Also, last year, the two candidates missed most votes, so that statistic in-and-of itself is misleading. If you look over their entire voting careers, Kerry and Edwards are most definately NOT the first and third most liberal senators, however that is what the public believes because nobody has disputed the claim.

I'm sure there are statements by Kerry/Edwards about Bush/Cheney that are misleading that the media hasn't disputed either, although I can't think of any at the moment. I know that was long, but I hope it helped.

Doug
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna