College Question

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
PunkRockPimp
Loyal

College Question

Post by PunkRockPimp » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:20 pm

Okay i live in detroit Michigan and I would like to go to Whayne State in 2006, it is only downtown, which is pretty close to me. Now my question is living on campus really worth $6000, i mean my mom said if i stay at home for school she would buy me a brand new car. I was also think of maybe getting an apartment instead (i would start putting money in the bank as soon a i got a job) so my options are

on campus $6000.00

at home-brand new car

own apartment-(+bills)

why do you guys think?
<span style="font-family:Georgia"punkrockpimp LJ DOT COM___your so jealous

archers_angel
Veteran

Re: College Question

Post by archers_angel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:37 pm

I can't emphasis the benefits enough of living on campus. Going to college/university is about more than just a degree, its the way of life. Its about meeting so many different people, having complete independence and you'll miss out on so many amazing opportunities if you live at home.

I'm currently living just outside of out main campus, in student flats. If I could have lived on campus, I would have in a heartbeat. My friends who chose to stay at home have missed out on everything, and very few of them are happy. Their life is the exact same as it always has been. But those who are living away from their parents are having the time of their life- and having crazy experiences that the others could never even dream of. Living in residences means you'll form an innately close bond with your nextdoor neighbours, the people in your corridoor etc, and you'll find yourself constantly with your door open, gathering in the corridor, always laughing. For the opportunity, I'd say its worth it to live on campus, I really would. I've not met a single person who has lived on campus and wished they'd stayed living with their parents, yet iv spoken to loads who have lived with their parents and wished they hadnt.

Just my experience of it though.

Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:00 pm

I haven't been to college yet but I will be going soon, and I agree with angel, you'll miss out on so much not living on campus.

Who needs a car when you'll be on campus, an apartment is nice, but I think that college is about meeting new people and having new experiences and you'll get the best of that by living on campus. Just me though.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image

Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:21 pm

I, of course am not in college, but I've been around college kids enough and gone to enough college campuses to know that it's NOT the education that's a big part abot college, it's just BEING there, and living on your own, being in a new place, having your own place, learning to live with other people. Dealing with things on your own. Save up for a car. But I really do think it's going to REALLY benefit you to live on campus. I would imagine it would be MUCH too depressing to continue living at home- just like staying in highschool... :wacko:
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"

Mel
Loyal

Post by Mel » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:54 pm

I would SOOOOO go living on campus!!

I know people who live just down the road my my university and they have to commute in and stuff, and it really annoys them.

It's soo much fun living on campus, like archers_angel said, its like a whole way of life; not just the party side of it (although it is DAMN good!!) the whole atmosphere which from what I've heard you loose alot of if your not on campus.

I love living on campus!!! I'm on campus in a house, rather than a corridor in a college, with really good friends and I know sooooooooo many people around campus that I can go and see loads of people in like 5 minutes :D (Plus theres a really good nightclub and 6 bars on campus!!!)

Your own place sounds cool too, but I'd say go with campus when your a fresher (1st year) meet some cool mates, and move into a place with them!!!

I LOVE CAMPUS!!! And whilst Im shouting about what I like I LOVE UNI!
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools

Survival is the ultimate ideology.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Me and my life: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjm22/

Anyone wants to talk msn: mel_mitchener@hotmail.com I spend way too much time online