O Man...

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
jess_617
Veteran

O Man...

Post by jess_617 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:38 pm

I know youre gonna all think Im such a stupid jerk but this is REALLY bothering me and I know it shouldnt but it does and I cant help it and I just really cant stop obsessing over this and its been almost a week and I keep thinkin about it and its soooo stupid I should just be happy but Im NOT so Im just gonna have to let it out. ::woah I hope you got all that::

ANYWAYS. We got our mid terms and all that on wednesday and I got 3 As and an A+. WoOt. We also got our class rank and I am 6 outta 225. Well Im pissed. I know I shouldnt be, I should be happy. But Im soo not. I know I couldve done better and it makes me mad that I didnt.

The person thats #1 in my class is a good friend of mine and Im happy for her but at the same time Im like wtf. See shes smart and all that but shes not takin any advanced classes. She is taking two music classes, geometry, and english 9. I feel like I got jipped cuz all but one person thats ahead of me in class rank is taking easy classes. Or are just in core 40. I just feel like all the shit I do to get good grades is for nothing cuz you get praised even more for taking easy crap. I didnt tell anyone about feeling like this even when my friends were complaining about the rank thing but I just have to get this out.

I know I sound like a stuck up prep but I just cant get over it! I really wish that the grades were weighted. People in special education classes have gotten valedictorian before and its just not fair. I think there should be a valedictorian for every diploma so that those making the extra effort can get recognized.

:wallbash:

end rant<<<

sorry please dont think im a jerk..I just am really obsessive about my grades, they are all i have going for me.
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Re: O Man...

Post by SirPostAlot » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:05 pm

emotionalcutie
Veteran

Post by emotionalcutie » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:54 pm

and people who are naturally not focused who take medication to focus and they get validictorian...i don't think this is fare either

Jeff, just because people need medication to stay focused does not mean that they don't deserve to be validictorian. People who take it need it so they can focus as well as people who dont take it. Its not like they have an advantage or anything like that.

And Jess I dont think that it is fair that you are being compared to people who are in easier or lower level classes. They should find another way to do that. Be happy that you are 6th! Thats amazing...it really is.
*KT*

*Give Into The Sweet Temptation*

<span style="color:royal blue"-::SMIRRRRRNOFFF::-

**chit-chat**

Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:38 am

I can't believe you just said that AIM, that was so disrespectful. People who take medication to stay focus are better off for it, and if they get good grades and beat you that's your problem for letting them.

Jess, in the end it will pay off. I've been thinking like that too, but I know see that when college comes around it may show that you're 6 or whatever but you have the good classes that put you steps above the rest. And when it comes to being valedictorian, I know at my school they look at what classes you're taking also.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image

Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:39 pm

No worries love.

I'm 11 out of 496, and that fucking pissed me off.

My best friend is number one too, lol.

It's annoying huh? But a little competition is a good thing.

Cheers babe,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...

pynkgodde55
Loyal

Post by pynkgodde55 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:39 am

Um.....that's just annoying. I remember the kids in class crying b/c they got a B instead of an A. Be glad you got that. There are others out there trying as hard as you but can't get the grades. There are circumstances that can't be helped to prevent this. Just think at least you're not last. You should be happy with where you are and not "pissed".
[center]Image[/center]

[center]Xanga/MySpace[/center][center]Wanna Know More about Jen?[/center]

Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:59 am

Originally posted by pynkgodde55@Dec 1 2004, 07:39 AM

Um.....that's just annoying. I remember the kids in class crying b/c they got a B instead of an A. Be glad you got that. There are others out there trying as hard as you but can't get the grades. There are circumstances that can't be helped to prevent this. Just think at least you're not last. You should be happy with where you are and not "pissed".

[right][/right]

Hmm...that's true, but school is also competition. Some thrive off of it to be the best. I know I do.

As for the valedictorian thing, my school doesn't offer that, BECAUSE we have AP, IB, as well as remedial classes. I think that's a lot more fair. I mean, I work my ass off in IB to keep good grades, and there's kids in lower level classes who sorta half work to keep a 4.0 It's...not fair.

But then, I suppose whichever level you choose to compete at - that is where you fall.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...

archers_angel
Veteran

Post by archers_angel » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:10 pm

I know that must be annoying for you, but I assure you, teachers will notice all the extra effort you put in, and they'll know how hard you work. It wont go unnoticed.

(In my school, I always had only average grades, but I worked so hard its unbelievable. But my school had effort grades, which were seen as more important. So they would give you an "attainment grade" (A-G) then give you an effort grade (1-5). So people who got B5's had to have meetings with senior staff, because although they were doing well, they werent trying. But as I got C1's and stuff, I was always rewarded and praised. Its a really cute idea. Its the effort that should be noticed, because some people do struggle more and work harder.)

belis
Loyal

Post by belis » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:33 pm

We have that too. 1-5 for effort with 5 being the best. I have recently got A1 in chemistry and was send to see headmaster as teacher claimed I do not put any effort. I told him that I will put as much effort as it requires to get results and not more. Annoying, I hate all that effort bussiness. In the real life you are chaged by results not by effort. You do not want your doctor to make an effort you want him to get the diagnosis right and sort the treatment (and if he does it in 5 minutes efordlessly to have his coffe break leater on than even better). That what I said to headmaster and now I have headmaster detention to discuss the meter further.

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:29 pm

i didn't mean to be disrespectul i just don't think that its right becuase we aren't allowed to take medictaion to get that 5% of our brain that doens't want to focus to focus...ya know?

~Jeff~

Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:01 am

Originally posted by ~*~AiM_uSeR~*~@Dec 1 2004, 07:29 PM

i didn't mean to be disrespectul i just don't think that its right becuase we aren't allowed to take medictaion to get that 5% of our brain that doens't want to focus to focus...ya know?

~Jeff~

[right][/right]

They don't take medication for the 5% of the brain. They take it because the part of the brain that we ALL have to focus, won't focus for them.

It's not an enchancer.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image

skaterGuy15
Veteran

Post by skaterGuy15 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:56 pm

I think I know what you mean :-/

When I took my end of year exams, I was put in for the higher paper for maths and my friend was put in for the lower. We both got a B, and although my B is technically higher than hers, "a B is still a B", according to her *rolls eyes*

Damn it, that got to me...

What is wrong with the school system? Yours sounds quite unfair too.
I wish I were a spy.

jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:16 pm

Thanks everyone. This was just a vent it really didnt have too much real anger behind it. lol just so ya know.

And for those of you who have a problem with me posting things like this and thinking its annoying please just refrain from reading and posting in it cuz I really dont care that people think Im a bit obsessive cuz I am.
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol

cmc1021
Loyal

Post by cmc1021 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:19 am

you could be 219 out of 225. yea its crap but the college's will see right through that, and thats really the reason we go to high school now, to go to college, and then to grad school, the schooling never stops. my school solved the ranking problem, they don't provide rank, drives the colleges nuts
"pavlovian's pothead, i hear a bong clink by eyes begin to water"-igby

"do you think when the guy invented the bong, a black light came on over his head?"

"i tried to walk into target, and missed"-mitch hedberg