Algebra 2

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
*Miss*Priss*
Loyal

Algebra 2

Post by *Miss*Priss* »

ok. today was the 1st day of second semester & our teacher gave us a shit load of homework & on it is simple interest & the formula is i=prt p- represents the principal in dollars, r- represents the annual interset rate & t- represents the time in years

do i just multiply them all together??

heres the prob.

p=$2500 r=6.5% t=3 years

you fill those in as the variables but do you just multiply them all?

p=$65,283.21 r=9.32% t= 6 & a half years

please someone help im totally confused!!!
*As we grow up we learn that even the person who wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will. You will have your heart broken- probably more than once & it wont be any easier the second time. You'll fight with your best friend. You'll blame a new love for something your old one did. You'll cry because time is passing too fast & you'll eventually lose someone you love. It's life...so live it to the fullest...fall in love, get hurt,take chances,& have no regrets!* Danielle*
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Re: Algebra 2

Post by SirPostAlot »

hmm...i remember this vagullly...

i believe its:

A=P(1+r/x)^rt

x = times is multiplied...like bi annually would be 2...

so in your example:

heres the prob.

p=$2500 r=6.5% t=3 years

it would be:

A=2500(1+6.5/1)^6.5*3

ok wait thats too big...

hmm...i dunno...but it something to that nature...theres something wrong w/ my formula though

~Jeff~
LilyMaid
Loyal

Post by LilyMaid »

~*~AiM_uSeR~*~, you are thinking of the formula for compound interest. *Miss*Priss*'s problem is a simple interest problem. When calculating simple interest, the interest earned is the same for each time period.

Like *Miss*Priss* said, simple interest is given by:

I = PrT, where:

I = interest, $

P = principal, $

r = rate of interest, per annum (DECIMAL)

T = term of interest, years

Your variables are:

I = ?

P = 2500

r = 0.065 <<---- It's as a decimal, remember :)

T = 3

Using your formula,

I = PrT

I = 2500 x 0.065 x 3

I = 487.5

Therefore, Interest is $487.50.

The process is the same for any variables. In the second problem (I'm assuming that is a second problem), your variables are:

I = ?

P = $65,283.21

r = 0.0932

T = 6.5

Using your formula,

I = PrT

I = 65,283.21 x 0.0932 x 6.5

I = 39 548.56862

Therefore, Interest is $39 548.57

If the decimal is confusing you, you can use the formula I = PRT/100 instead.

If you are also required to calculate the total amount, use the formula:

A = P + I, where

A = amount in total, $

P = principal, $

I = interest, $

I hope that helps. It's been a long time since I did this stuff, lol. Hopefully I didn't stuff anything up rushing, haha.
*Miss*Priss*
Loyal

Post by *Miss*Priss* »

Thanks so much!!!! i finally figured it out my mom helped me ...i was doing 6.5% instead of making it a decimal thats why i couldnt get the right answer
*As we grow up we learn that even the person who wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will. You will have your heart broken- probably more than once & it wont be any easier the second time. You'll fight with your best friend. You'll blame a new love for something your old one did. You'll cry because time is passing too fast & you'll eventually lose someone you love. It's life...so live it to the fullest...fall in love, get hurt,take chances,& have no regrets!* Danielle*