Singing Tips

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Carousel
Loyal

Singing Tips

Post by Carousel »

Why do people sing too fast or too slow? Are there any techniques I can learn to practice on getting my timming better?
[CENTER]

[/CENTER]
Sliver
Veteran

Re: Singing Tips

Post by Sliver »

um.... keep the beat with your foot? or conduct yourself if you know what i mean..... sing along to your favourite songs while keeping the beat in some way.... :)
Sliver, A.K.A Tom/Tommy/Tommy Boy (thanks to Lisa and sweethelp)

Moderated with Sweethelp in Bullying forum from Oct 6 2003 to 2006 sometime.

Moderated in the Self Expression Forum and Computer forum mainly, along with the rest of the lounge, until December 2006.

jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 »

heh well you can always come in a second BEFORE you think you should. That way youll never come in late. lol sorry couldnt resist.

Like Tommy said keep beat with your foot or something. Or just keep practicing. Dont worry youll get the hang of it.
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol
Carousel
Loyal

Post by Carousel »

I never sing too slow, just too fast. I can keep up with the pace, but sometimes the pace doesnt keep up with me.

I still have this problem and I've been singing for 2 years. It's really not a problem until I get it in my head that it is.
[CENTER]

[/CENTER]
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

NEVER keep your own beat. Your will speed up with how you sing. You need to get a machine or someone else that keeps the tempo for you.

Also talk to your local choir and even band teacher. They know how to keep the tempo when your trying to do a hundred things at once.

You speed up normaly because your scared or woried. Take a deep breath and calm yourself down before you sing. close your eyes and close off the whole world around you. Think its only you and your voice in an empty room. Your only singing for yourself. And if on stage (if your an stage singer) If the crowd kinda makes you start singing on the fast side, a way to make yourself feel better is to NEVER look at the crowd. pick a spot on the back wall and stare at it. Just make sure your face looks happy and looks like your having fun singing.

(5 years of Choir, 7 years of band)
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
Abbi
Veteran

Post by Abbi »

Moved to General
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair...
JazzIsLove
Loyal

Post by JazzIsLove »

Sing with a metronome--it'll keep you on tempo..unless, that is, you enjoy playing a split-second before the nice little clicky sounds it makes-doubt it though lol.

Otherwise, just..try to keep the rhythm without singing. Listen to a song and just really get the rhythm down in your head and your foot or whatever other body part you may like :huh:

When exactly are you speeding up? is it when you're singing by yourself, or with a group? Because if it's with a group or song that is also singing/playing your line..then I'm not really sure what you could do to stay on tempo with everyone else. If it's by yourself or with accompaniment music.. well that's hard, and that will just require alot of practice.

My sax teacher used to make me play long tones..7 beats playing, 1 beat rest at 60 beats a minute (awfully slow really) and he'd start me off w/ the metronome so I got the beat in my head, and then he'd shut it off ( :o ) and I'd be left to play the correct tempo on my own, and he would tell me if I was speeding up/slowing down.

If ya need any help, PM me sometime..I'm the biggest bando you'll find..and i've taken voice lessons for a whole year :cool: haha so thats not that long on voice..but i've known music for 9 years :dancing:
~ALLIE~

What you do speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you're saying

In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true either is true or becomes true

Brent <3 4/12/05
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

A lot of musicians hate the damn metronome and consider it their enemy, but it helps you get a steady playing/singing pace. So, I would definitely go get myself a metronome as they are there for a purpose.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.