Activism Club

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Activism Club

Post by InnocenceLost57 »

ok i think this goes here, it might be better off in general schools but ill just stick it ehre for now...

anyways, my friend Jack and I are starting an activist club at our school. it was originally going to be a GSA, but she kind of took it over (which was fine with me....) and made it into a general activist club. So do any of yall have any ideas on what we could be activists *about?* thats probably extremely gramatically incorrect...but ohwell.

And excuse my poor typing - it's late, and i'm exhausted from dance.

So far, we have gay rights, women's rights, awareness about alternate sexualities and gender identities, maybe animal rights....anything else? we're kind of in a rut at the moment. Any ideas would be *much* appreciated.

Thanks soooo much!! ^_^
One minute there was road beneath us

The next just sky

Reach up

And let's propose a toast

To the thing that hurts you most

( /)

(O.o) Copy bunny into your signature to help

( <) him achieve world domination

/_|_
Michie
Veteran

Re: Activism Club

Post by Michie »

How about world hunger? AIDS, Cancer, Abuse, the environment and its damage, peace in the world between religions and cultures...

You can do a lot through Activism...fundraisers and teaching awareness are a great combination
My tears will be hidden behind this fake grin

You can see me through these metal bars-I won't let you in

It's my life and I screwed it-You're not to blame

And though I keep on trying, it's so hard to change.

-Steph

My email- [email=""]steph_w_3000@hotmail.com[/email]

Email me if you wanna talk!
LilyMaid
Loyal

Post by LilyMaid »

You have some great ideas already, and some fantastic suggestions from Michie. My advice is to avoid being swamped with a plethora of causes, as it may very well limit the amount of 'hands-on' activism you achieve. Find something that you are passionate about, and look outside your school (or what has been done before by people in your school) for ideas and inspiration. You might want to check in with some activist centres in your local community. They will be able to give you information kits, advice and resources on a cause that really fires you up, so to speak.

My suggestion -- and I'm biased, as you might have picked up from my signature -- is to take up human rights activism. You can't get more fundamental than that, and it's very likely that there's an established Amnesty network in your area that can help you get started. If you ever read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, you will see that many of the issues you have mentioned are stipulated as inalienable rights. If you're interested, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights may be a good starting point, if only to gain a better understanding of the overarching nature of these rights.

By all means ignore my suggestion. It's crucial that you do something that is important to you. You can make a valuable contribution to whatever you choose, from campaigning for environmental protection to raising awareness of violence against women. I applaud you for starting up this club in your school. It is a very noble aim.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

just do it in something that you feel strongly about...

It will be a drain for you and a bore if you do it on something that is an issue that you are against or you do not fidn interest in it...

There are thousands of topics you could be an activist in, but do what you feel the strongest in your heart, hun...

I mean you could be an activist in save the "Congo catapillers" but if thats not close to your heart, you will have to force yourself to do it and it won't mean anything...

Do something that you are connected to and that when you talk about it your happy and very opinionated and when your reading about it you get that adrenalin rush and get all happy...

I can't tell you what you feel in your heart...but i can tell you to listen to it...So becuase of that i can't tell you what to be an activist in...

Just listen to your heart...

~Jeff~
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

thanks so much yall for the replies. and I think that jack and i will definetely have a look into the amnesty thing...I'll check around and see if there are any local centres, and we can try to find out more about that. and michie, great ideas. just what i needed!! ^_^ *is happy*

and jeff, you're absolutely right....that would be bad if i had to force myself through something that i didn't really care about.

GAY RIGHTS!!!

Haha.

The next just sky

Reach up

( /)

/_|_
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

yaaa...go gay rights! :)

i just wrote and essay about it for gov't...haha...

And that seems to be the most importnat to you, so im glad you are doing it becuase of that reason and also because its an important issue! :)

:hug:

~Jeff~
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

yes, let's just say i'm very....opinionated when it comes to that subject. ^_^

I'm thinking of writing my term paper or whatever it is i have to do next year on it. But in the meantime...I'll be pimping the day of silence and advertising the club! ^_^

The next just sky

Reach up

( /)

/_|_
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames »

Ooo...yet another club I can add to my list of presidency. What do you do? Tell me more about it...I want to start one.

In fact, I'll get a club application tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...