Nightmares

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
jess_617
Veteran

Nightmares

Post by jess_617 »

Lately Ive been having terrible nightmares. Ive had them before but never this often. I keep dreaming my friends are going to die...I dream my friends that are going to Europe this summer will get in a plane wreck and that my other friends will have horrible accidents.. Im afraid to go to sleep at night because I dont want to have these dreams. When I finally DO go to sleep I end up having one and wake up shaking and crying and then its pointless to try and sleep again.

Ive not gotten much sleep in nearly a week. Im physically and emotionally exhausted. If I dont get rid of this soon I dont know if Ill be able to survive school. (this week is my spring break)

Any advice to get rid of my nightmares is very much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Jessi
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol
Doug
Veteran

Re: Nightmares

Post by Doug »

Are you under a lot of stress lately? Are you stressed out when you go to sleep? That can often lead to increased nightmares. Try taking 30-60 minutes before you sleep to read a book or listen to some relaxing music or something. That should help decrease your number of nightmares.
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 »

I am stressed out. I usually am though so I dont know why Id start having the nightmares worse now. I usually do read before I go to bed, except for when Ive had a lot of homework and no time. *sigh* I just dont know why they are so bad now.

Thanks Doug. :)
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Jessi,

I also know how completely horrid nightmares can be. They seem so real and then you wake up and wonder if they were a premonition, if they're going to come true, if you're a terrible person for dreaming them, I know. But they aren't premonitions (unless you're pyschic and haven't told me ;)) and they aren't going to come true and you're not a terrible person for dreaming them.

Dreams are how your brain puts together little pieces of knowledge from the day. I think you're having these nightmares because you're afraid to lose your friends while they're going to Europe. Because you care about them and you're going to miss them and your mind puts it into these horrible nightmares.

You know the cool thing about dreams? You are in charge of them. Completely.

Tonight, before you fall asleep, focus on thinking about your friends having fun in Europe, arriving safely, all of that. When you're dreaming tonight your dream should reflect that. If it doesn't tonight, it will after you've practiced more. Just try to focus as hard as you can on GOOD things around your friends going to Europe and sooner or later, your nightmares will vanish.

Lots of love, Jessi.

:hug: Hannah
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
lyn4sho
Loyal

Post by lyn4sho »

I have been having nightmares too, sometimes you need to finish the dream before they go away to fully understand. The longer u don't sleep, the longer you aren't confronting your dreams....and possibly your fears. Try the things given above, but if u still have the nightmare, try to stay asleep, then maybe you will have a better understanding on why u are having them. Dreams and Nightmares are controlled by your unconisous mind, they help you see how you are really feeling sometimes.

Hope I helped

Lyn
Hello Adulthood!

The courage to serve them with reliance

Face my mistakes without defiance

Show them I'm worthy

And while I show them

I'll show me

So, let them bring on all their problems

I'll do better than my best

I have confidence they'll put me to the test

But I'll make them see I have confidence in me