Color In Chemistry

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Trapped
Veteran

Color In Chemistry

Post by Trapped »

Hi, I need some help in Chemistry, and it's kind of urgent, though Iknow it takes a hwile for ppl to respond sometimes... I have a project in Chemistry on anything to do with color (question) and I'm pretty sure it has to be related to chemistry, though that's not 100%. Most of the topics I think of have either already been taken (even though it's a learning project for yourself, or it's a concept I'm already familiar with. A lot of things to do with color have similar answers.... I've already been tot the library three times, and I know I need at least 3 sources. I can use the internet, but I don't want that to be my only source. Can anyone help me think of a topic and how to start? It takes me forever to think of clever entrances, especially when I'm not entirely concerned/excited about something. We also have to state why we're interested.

For Honors Chemistry.
It's the little things that make a big difference.

In case you hadn't noticed...4-letter words:

love - hate - true - life

"And there are voices

That want to be heard

So much to mention

But you can't find the words"

--Listen to Your Heart, DHT

I can't erase myself, but I can try to move on.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Re: Color In Chemistry

Post by SirPostAlot »

Hmm...

Well the only thing i really know about it deals w/ the prism and of course theres blending of colors to make differnet colors, but we see those colors because of the prism...

I have bene out of chem for a year (:'( i love chem), so i'm not 100% sure on this, hun...

But i would talk about the prisms and white light and absorbing of color and colors bouncing back...

And you can talk about the molecules of light...hmm...

This is very last minute so my best advice is if you are gunna wing-this in one night to write it just throw it logically together as best you can and bs your way through it...

Its not the best advice, but its what you have to do for the last minute projects...

:hug:

sorry i couldn't help much...

~Jeff~
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

Different wavelengths will result in different colours being produced. Burning of chemicals will result in a different colour. For example, some elements, when exposed to flame,will burn a red, or a purple. Ions are also different colours, such as Cu(II), when in water will be blue. Look for stuff like that.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

If you look into stuff like transition metal ions, you can get some really advanced chemistry stuff going on that's not too hard to explain and would be pretty impressive. Looking at the arrangement of orbitals within an atom, and the splitting of d orbitals and how they give out and absorb different colours of light... I don't know what level you are at though, what honors means (I'm just a silly Scottish person :P)?

As Tora said, burning will give you a good basis for a project, particularly looking at metals (eg. magnesium = white etc, there's a whole list but I can't remember)

Hope this helps!
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
Trapped
Veteran

Post by Trapped »

Thanx guys. This really does help a lot. I don't think I'll be turning it in today, no later than tomorrow though...and what I've decide to go with is on the same track as what y'all are saying, so if anyone has suggestions or can further explain the emision of color/ight in gases (such as the burning/exploding/death or a star (supernovae), it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx again. :)
It's the little things that make a big difference.

In case you hadn't noticed...4-letter words:

love - hate - true - life

"And there are voices

That want to be heard

So much to mention

But you can't find the words"

--Listen to Your Heart, DHT

I can't erase myself, but I can try to move on.
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

Originally posted by junglemonkey@Apr 5 2005, 04:32 AM

If you look into stuff like transition metal ions, you can get some really advanced chemistry stuff going on that's not too hard to explain and would be pretty impressive. Looking at the arrangement of orbitals within an atom, and the splitting of d orbitals and how they give out and absorb different colours of light... I don't know what level you are at though, what honors means (I'm just a silly Scottish person :P)?

As Tora said, burning will give you a good basis for a project, particularly looking at metals (eg. magnesium = white etc, there's a whole list but I can't remember)

Hope this helps!

[right][/right]

Just wait until coordination chemistry. It's fun.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

Originally posted by ToraToraTora+Apr 5 2005, 10:52 PM--
[/right]

[/b]

Just wait until coordination chemistry. It's fun.

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

Oh I'm done with hardcore chemistry. I'm leaving school and going to study dentistry at Uni, so the hardest thing I'll probably have to do as regards chemistry is buffers :D
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
Dobby
Loyal

Post by Dobby »

Just another though, and this uses phenohaylane, but when u put phenothaylane in a substance, it the substance turns pink...your substance is...an acid or base...well anyways, there is color in chemistry. That is something that can be looked up really quickly though. Heck, u might even be able to find that in your text.
99.9% of putts left short never go in, and that applies to everything in life.[/b]