Failing

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
hopeless_
Loyal

Failing

Post by hopeless_ »

The past 5 months my school performance has gone down the drain. I used to care about school and worked on it enough to earn good grades. I was the one of those students considered most able to succeed. Teachers didn't worry about me because they knew I had good grades and skipped rarely anything (just gym sometimes). Well after november i didn't care anymore. I started skiving a lot of classes, knowing that I could easily get away with it. I have done VERY little homeowork since then, and my grades a have slipped. Just now, I have got a notice saying that I have been absent quite a lot. Exams are coming up soon, and I am not prepared for them at all, and I still don't care. I missed a presentation just today for English that was required for the IB course (the program I'm following), and I just told my mom I was feeling ill. Even though I am worried, and would have never thought that I would fail a year, I think it is going to happen. I have lied, cheated and teachers have started noticing, and I don't care. I used to look forward to school, but now I just want to drop out of it. Does this make me stupid? I mean i don't want to become one of those people that fail the year and is considered an idiot by everyone else. But I hate school... i don't know what to do. :bag:
turtbub
Veteran

Re: Failing

Post by turtbub »

No, Andy, you certainly aren't stupid. You're very smart. That's why you know you need to stay in school. Do your best to keep interested in it, ask your teachers for extra help. They'll be happy to help I'm sure. And just do your best to remember that this is what will secure your future and that that is something you really want.

And PM me, okay? I miss you. :hug:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
belis
Loyal

Post by belis »

I have the similar problems. Every year at the end, when exams are comimg and I am expected to work harder than usual I am suddenly loosing all my interest in school. I have not reach such an extremes as you but I think I can understand what you are talking about. Just stop and think what you realy want and what you realy need to do. Consentrate on asigments that are absolutely essencial, have plenty of fun and rest in between but cerry on going. When the exams actualy start you will probably get a kick from that and go through them. Last year I was realy bad before exams, skipping lessons, staying in my pyjamas all day and revising nothing but I still got straight A's so there is hope lol.
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

just pick it up see if there is any makeup and if needed go to summer school .... try to get remotivated set a nice goal and go for it.... i had that problem for tree years and i had to pick my ass up and work hard for my senior year -MARY
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
Ingenuity
Loyal

Post by Ingenuity »

You definately arent stupid, failing doesn't even make one stupid. School isn't really about how smart you are cause smart people can fail 2.(it's more about, can you find out whata teacher wants and do it) One of the smartest kids in my class has grades right on the border line. They could easily fail or pass based on a few assainments. He has failed projects and stuff, but we all know he is smart so it means nothing.

I think you shoud find out what the requirements are for failing. If you got good grades for most of the year it shoudln't be to hard to pick your grades up just a little to pass. Also, i think you should keep up with your h/w, you might be able to use h/w grades to pad bad classwork and test grades, you dont even have to do h/w that thorougly just enough so that it is done and you shoudl get a decsent enough grade. the years almsot over so i am not sure, but you coudl always get a tutor, to prepare you for exams if you really think you coudln't handle them on your own.

I dotn really know though, i am still in middle school, and i asume thigns are different than in highschool.
Save The Cows!
hopeless_
Loyal

Post by hopeless_ »

I know i should try and pass, but i feel like school is not important to me, just like evrything else. It might sound lazy, but of all my academic life I have been the one who had studied, occasionally got Cs and Ds, but was only because of lack of preparation or whatnot. I know I could at least try and pass miserably just over the line, i mean it's still a pass. I have mostly wanted to get good grades because I was jealous of the people that got high grades all the time. I admired them and hated them. But now, I don't care, but I am still afraid of people's judgment. "look, it's the kid that barely passed highschool". But now it's not even about the grades. the past 7 months, a week hasn't gone by that I have at least skipped at least a day worth of class. But i guess i'll just try and pass the exams, which are exactly a week away. We'll see from there.

thanks everyone for the support, i just think that if I didn't pass the year, it would prove i was stupid. i know that if you fail the year it doesn't make you stupid, but it would just feel like that to me. Anyway thanks again everyone :hug:
~~Holly~~
Loyal

Post by ~~Holly~~ »

I think a lot of people go through the "I hate school, I just want to drop out phase" It's normal, its part of what makes being a teenager so tough. We all go through ups and downs, its learning how to deal with the downs that people have trouble with. Set goals for yourself, sit down with your textbooks and skim through the most important topics for your exams. Talk to you teachers. Tell them you have been having a very hard time lately. Trust me, your teachers don't want you to fail- they want you to succeed. If you fail the teacher's class, they feel like a failure too. Just take it one step at a time. And I know this may not seem like the best thing to do over the summer---but...try and catch up so you don't fall too behind for next year. Whatever you do, don't drop out of school. School gives you the basic knowledge that you are going to need for the rest of your life. Hope this helps. You can PM me if you need to talk. I'll be there for you.
Curiously Strong, All Night Long.