Going To College In Ohio?

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Going To College In Ohio?

Post by Jaegermeister »

"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
!XogFog
Loyal

Re: Going To College In Ohio?

Post by !XogFog »

G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Re: Going To College In Ohio?

Post by Jaegermeister »

I'm definately against the bill. Some of the best debates I've had in my classes have had "no legitimate pedagogical purpose." Like what the fuck does a debate about the consequences of a DOMA have to do with Medieval Europe? Well, actually more than you'd think. But not all that much really. Tangenting and free thought is a key to any sort of liberal arts education. What I find so stupid about this law is that they're trying to regulate what people are allowed to talk about, what people are allowed to think inside the classroom. As opposed to an engineering program, a humanities track like History is all about critical thought and analysis into events. After a while that starts to apply to everything. Current Events, which I suppose to some people may be considered nonsense, sometimes come up. Then we talk about it. Then we debate it. As we're all adults, we keep the debate civil. Sometimes the professor participate, sometimes they don't. Geez, my "Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion" course (an anthropology course), could, if this bill gets passed, be boycotted and done away with because there's some pretty "controversial matter" in that class.

My main problem with this bill is that it is trying to regulate free thought and free speech. The way it's worded, who's to say how strictly that law will be ineterpreted? I don't think it's the jurisdiction of the state legislature to try and regulate something like this. I think that should be in the hands of the college/university itself.

Mostly though, I think it's a feeble minded effort to keep stupid people away from the evilness of big bad new ideas.

tJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.