Helllppp.....

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Helllppp.....

Post by InnocenceLost57 »

So this probably isn't going to be what you thought it would be. But it's a problem that I'm majorly stressing over...so dont laugh.

:P

In November, i have to go to a major dance competition - it's like the Olympics or nationals of dance, basically. I'm dancing 56 times over a 3-day period, and needless to say, I'ma be tired and stressed. I'm rooming with my mother.....yuck. I wouldn't mind that so much, but the only problem? She snores.

LOUD.

She came with me to my last competition a month or so ago, and I had to share a bed with her. And it's to the point where I'll wake up at 4am and not be able to go back to sleep because she's so freaking loud. And I was miserable - tired, sluggish, irritated and irritable.....I mean, i literally only got about 3 hours of sleep a night because of her. And i can't do that at Ohio....I just won't be able to, with as much as I'm doing. It'll be like 4 nights too. I just can't do it.

I have a room I can stay in - my teacher, Mary, has an old woman Pam staying with her, but I've stayed in rooms with them before. Another woman, Sue, who i'm also comfortable with, is also possibly staying. So i'd probably share a bed with either Sue or i'd crash on the floor - and i'm not kidding when i say the floor would be better than being in a room with my mother.

I explained this to her, trying to be as nice as possible....and she's like, "if there's other people staying with Mary, it's out of the question." and none of them would mind, and I told her this. She still refused. I was irritated and tired and just bluntly said that i literally could not sleep with her in the room, and she was like, "Thanks." in that kind of flat disappointed voice parents get.

So what the hell do I do? I mean, I'm seriously stressing over this. I CANNOT go without sleep. And for all three nights she stayed with us at competition, i would wake up in the middle of the night and lay there for hours, listening to her snore and being frustrated literally to tears. But she's being so freaking stubborn.

Ideas, anyone? Preferably something that wouldn't get her feelings hurt.... :wallbash: :wallbash:
One minute there was road beneath us

The next just sky

Reach up

And let's propose a toast

To the thing that hurts you most

( /)

(O.o) Copy bunny into your signature to help

( <) him achieve world domination

/_|_
turtbub
Veteran

Re: Helllppp.....

Post by turtbub »

Hehehe. Sorry, but I DID laugh when I realized this was about snoring. :P

But it is a tough thing. My mom snores too and we had the same problem when on vacation. I would say that you sit your mom down and say mom, I really want to room with you but I am going to need a lot of sleep so that I can do my best dancing. Ask her if there's any way she would try out something for her snoring. If you go to a drug store they make like patches for your nose that are supposed to stop snoring, stuff like that. If she doesn't want to do that, and she won't let you trade rooms, then you're stuck rooming with her. But that doesn't mean that you have to be kept awake. When you hear her snoring and it wakes you up just gently nudge her. When she wakes up just nicely ask her if she can turn over onto her side. That makes people stop snoring.

:hug: I hope it works out, love. And good luck with the competition! :)

<3 Hannah
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

First, CONGRATS!!!! That is so great that you are that good to make it to that compentition!

There is a spray that you can use that works on snoreing really well. I would ask her to try it (nicely) as in what turtbub said. Worse comes to worse, wear earplugs to bed, or a loud CD player. THen jsut ask a friend to wake you up or ask for room service to give you a wake up call or even both.

I've found the cd player works IF you can fall asleep with noise (I can't)

Or you can sit down with your mom, and brainstorm with her as to what might work. remember parents get offended easly so be careful on how you bring it up

Good luck on everything and "break a leg" as they say in show bussness

Cindy
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

thanx to both of you for the replies.

Hannah: my mum DOES sleep on her side. No matter which way she sleeps, it's always the same.

Cindy: I tried CD players. I usually fall asleep with the radio on, or the TV...I tried a CD player when I was at the first competition, and I could hear her even through the loudest of music. It would seem impossible for one woman to produce that amount of noise....but indeed....

So CD players and earplugs are pretty much out, because neither of them would work. I might ask her to try one of the patch things or a spray, etc etc.....but the thing is, she'll get all defensive, etc. And I really would love to stay in Mary's room, even if it means the floor. And maybe my mum's intimidated by that....? I stay with mary 3 nights out of the week as is...so i dunno. I mean, I'd be willing to put up with her during the nights that i'm NOT supposed to dance at 9 the next morning.

Bleh. I'm stressing more than I should.

My mother is a stubborn woman.

:wallbash:

The next just sky

Reach up

( /)

/_|_
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

it did something funny with my last post.....o.O

I like posted a reply but hit something and xed out of the window before it finished processing....and now i can see my post, but it says that cindy was the last replier....o.O

So if no one else can see it, here's what i posted. If so, sorry for the repeat post.

thanx to both of you for the replies.

Hannah: my mum DOES sleep on her side. No matter which way she sleeps, it's always the same.

Cindy: I tried CD players. I usually fall asleep with the radio on, or the TV...I tried a CD player when I was at the first competition, and I could hear her even through the loudest of music. It would seem impossible for one woman to produce that amount of noise....but indeed....

So CD players and earplugs are pretty much out, because neither of them would work. I might ask her to try one of the patch things or a spray, etc etc.....but the thing is, she'll get all defensive, etc. And I really would love to stay in Mary's room, even if it means the floor. And maybe my mum's intimidated by that....? I stay with mary 3 nights out of the week as is...so i dunno. I mean, I'd be willing to put up with her during the nights that i'm NOT supposed to dance at 9 the next morning.

Bleh. I'm stressing more than I should.

My mother is a stubborn woman.

wallbash.gif

The next just sky

Reach up

( /)

/_|_
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Yeah, I think maybe your mom feels a little sad that you would rather room with Mary than her. I think your best bet for not hurting her feelings is to stay in the room with her. Snoring or not, she IS your mom. :)

But, talk to her about the patches/sprays. Also, she might have sleep apnea. If so she should go to a doctor to get a machine to help her breathe better at night.

Just be sweet about it. :)

:hug:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

InnocenceLost57
Veteran

I'll try. I just wish i knew how to make her understand that it's not out of NOT wanting to room with her, but just out of needing to sleep....i'm going to be majorly stressed about this competition anyways, and i was so miserable when i had to dance just 8 dances after not sleeping last time. It sucked. So i just gotta figure out some way to tell her that....bleh i'm no good at this.

Any ideas on what to say? :( :huh:

The next just sky

Reach up

( /)

/_|_
JazzIsLove
Loyal

Post by JazzIsLove »

I know how you feel! when i was auditioning for colleges this past winter I had to stay in a hotel room with my dad..and he would snore impossibly loud..and my cd player wouldn't cover it either. i was serously considering sleeping in the bathroom.

But really, if she absolutely forces you to sleep with her..well it's your night, so whenever she starts to snore, smack her (nicely of course) with a pillow and make her stay awake until you fall asleep..so instead of her keeping you awake..u can keep her awake :) lol its a fair payback, and a small price to pay to have your daughter in such a high dance competition. goodluck
~ALLIE~

What you do speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you're saying

In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true either is true or becomes true

Brent <3 4/12/05
Wheretogo
Veteran

Post by Wheretogo »

ha ha ha, my mom snores HARDCORE... and its funny shell snore while we watch tv and as we turn up the tv shell snore louder... anyways... htere is nothing to prevent this snoring. recommendations... if you wake up in the middle of the night, sleep in the hall. shell eventually get the point. chances are your staying in a good hotel... Option b sleep in the tub. i not personally done it before, but your mom may catch the drift, but my brother did it once, and he said it was comfortable. you have to do it properly you lay blakets in the tub, and you lay ontop of them, and then you roll into a ball in them sorta thing (we have to share a bed and we are older now and its gross, and so he took the tub long story, my parents caught the drift and let me take the floor after that). your mom may or may not take the hint....
Why give up, why give in?

It's not enough, it never is.

So I will go on until
the end.

We've become desolate.

It's not enough, it never
is.

But I will go on until the end.

I've lost my way.

I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end.

Living is
hard enough

Without you fucking up.

Until The End - Breaking Benjamin
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Well, I would just sit her down and say Mom I really want to room with you so that we can see each other but I just can't be kept awake. I know you understand that. Do you think we could try some snoring patches or something?

And if that doesn't work there IS always the bathroom floor. :)

:hug: Good luck, love.

InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Haha yes I'm seriously considering the tub. It would be better than laying awake for hours at a time.

So when she gets the choice of beds, i'ma definetely make her take the one furthest from the bathroom...._<

Thanks all. hopefully it'll work out somehow....is there any particular patch or spray any of yall have found that works well?

The next just sky

Reach up

( /)

/_|_
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Umm...I forget what they're called. But if you go to the drugstore and ask for snore relief products, they'll point them out.

Good luck.

(And there IS always the tub, remember! :wink:)

Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Maybe this is too late, but tape recording her sleeping would be a real good idea. Let her know what you're sleeping with.
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Originally posted by InnocenceLost57@Aug 26 2005, 07:51 PM

it did something funny with my last post.....o.O

I like posted a reply but hit something and xed out of the window before it finished processing....and now i can see my post, but it says that cindy was the last replier....o.O

So if no one else can see it, here's what i posted. If so, sorry for the repeat post.

[right][/right]

Sometimes the board is just a little slow to process things and make the relevant changes. But if you can see the post, other people can see the post too, so don't worry about it. :)

Take care,

Lena.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Ah alrighty.

Taping her would be a good idea....ill probably only do that if shes reeeally stubborn though. I hope everything works out! Thank you all for all your help - this had me really stressed for a while, and now i think it's workable. :D

The next just sky

Reach up

( /)

/_|_
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

:) Glad to calm you down a bit.

Things can seem so insane and then you ask someone for help and suddenly it's all calm again. :)

Good luck! <3

PS-Kick some major butt in your dance competiton. :cheer:

InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Haha thanks. I'ma need all the luck I can get.

I got more pictures from competition now....the professional ones, that is. As soon as i get around to scannin em, ill post em on here somewhere....

The next just sky

Reach up

( /)

/_|_
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

:) Excellent. I loved the last competition pictures you put up here!

Again, luck. (Not that you need it :))

Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Good luck and tell us how it all goes. :)

Take care,

Lena.