Dorm Life

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
fuzzysnowflake
Loyal

Dorm Life

Post by fuzzysnowflake »

"There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits on the human capacity for intelligence, imagination and wonder." Ronald Reagan
PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Re: Dorm Life

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

Yes that can be a major downside. My friends who lived across campus last year had that happen twice in a night. They were not happy. It could be different at your school, but I think as the school year progesses, things will begin to die down and the students won't necessarily be quite as rowdy as they seem now. It's hard to find some of the perks when your sleep is being interupted (I remember that happening often) but things can and hopefully will get better. Good luck with it though, the dorms can really be quite a wonderful experience!
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

The number of times I hung out of my window and laughed at people who had been woken up by the fire alarm..

I used to stay up during the night, so it never used to bother me. I can imagine it would start to get quite taxing on the old nerves though. Don't worry, they do grow out of it. Especially when somebody else does it to THEM and they realise how annoying it is.
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Mehehe, oh dear me.

Just look at it like this: those people are most likely the ones who arem't interested in being there - hence will drop out. I'm at college right now and oh goodness am I glad that there is a high drop out rate - those who aren't interested in the course (and simply mess around) will leave!

Take care,

Lena.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

I'm dreading the fire alarm going off when I'm sleeping in my room at Uni!

If its bothering you so much, can't you go and tell someone whose in charge? Setting the fire alarm off for a bit 'of fun' is a criminal incident, especially as it alerts the fire station...people who do need the firemen won't be able to get them because the firemen have gone to a false alarm set off by some jerks.

~*~Ruth~*~
Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

Eh, it's something you have to live with. I got used to it, I mean it went off (albeit a real fire) during final seasons at 3AM when i had a final the next day. There's people there who won't be as mature as you, but it's just one of those things I found I could get used too.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

You get a big bucket of water and dump it over their heads as they are going outside to stand with the other people.

:)
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

^:P Yes, you could. But not the BEST idea. :P

I think it's like everyone said. As the year goes on, people will be overwhelmed with work and get over the whole fire alarm pulling thing. If other noises bother you, try earplugs or a fan or a white noise machine (if it's okay with your roomies).

You'll get used to it, love. :hug:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
Wheretogo
Veteran

Post by Wheretogo »

WE had a fire drill, in the middle of winter.... adn it was fucking FREEZING.... like minus 30 degree celcius..... I was Pissed off at our RD for aranging it on the coldest night of the year, and i couldnt find my shoes..... i was ready to cry.
Why give up, why give in?

It's not enough, it never is.

So I will go on until
the end.

We've become desolate.

It's not enough, it never
is.

But I will go on until the end.

I've lost my way.

I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end.

Living is
hard enough

Without you fucking up.

Until The End - Breaking Benjamin
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Originally posted by fluffyhelen@Sep 17 2005, 08:57 PM

You get a big bucket of water and dump it over their heads as they are going outside to stand with the other people.

:)

[right][/right]

ICE COLD water whilst they are sleeping might be a better idea. :P

Take care,

Lena. :P
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Trekker
Dedicated

Post by Trekker »

Could be worse. When I was in my fist semester of college and living in a dorm I bought a pet baby rabbit, which of course I wasn't supposed to have in the dorms at all. For the first day I didn't have a proper cage or carrier for him- just a little cardborad box with breathing holes, litter, and some water and food.

Well, the first night I had him, the damn fire alarm went off- twice (about two hours apart), and each time I had to run outside the dorm with this moving cardboard box under my arm while every security guard on campus ran right past me into the building. The dorms were small, so I couldn't hide in a big crowd or anything.

I felt really exposed and like a real moron- standing outside with this cardboard box in my hands. The other kids thought it was pretty funny and tried to gather around me somewhat so the guards wouldn't be as likely to notice the box.

It was pretty amazing the guards didn't notice. Obviously the poor rabbit was scared half to death, I was really afraid it would damage his ears, but he turned out to be ok.
Trekker
Dedicated

Post by Trekker »

My pet peeve in terms of noise though would be kids walking under my open window at 2 or 3 in the morning drunk and screaming or singing. Or kids holding a party late at night with reeeaaaaally loud music.

Or kids smoking pot in the dorm building (it would get into the air ducts for hours and make the whole building smell like pot, including any food I or others might have been eating or cooking).