College Search

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Trapped
Veteran

College Search

Post by Trapped »

How would I reasearch colleges for rankings/comparisons on their programs?

??? (I really don't have a clue what I'm doing o talkinga bout, but I know it's time for me to get started on it...the searches...so I CAN get out of here.) :huh: :dancing:

Well, I just want to see what are the better schools for particular majors...(I'll do some other comparison factors later, I just don't know how to search/research the internet for this, cuz you know, there's so many options, and i'm so indecisive, it freaks me out- I get so mad/lost/confused when I try... :flush:

The major(s) I had in mine were..

BioChemistry- for pharmaceuticals and/or neurology

Biology

Chemistry

(Psychology)

..unitl I just got all discombobulated when I come across more, that I have no idea about :furious: :bag: :huh: :o :'( :( ...???
It's the little things that make a big difference.

In case you hadn't noticed...4-letter words:

love - hate - true - life

"And there are voices

That want to be heard

So much to mention

But you can't find the words"

--Listen to Your Heart, DHT

I can't erase myself, but I can try to move on.
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Re: College Search

Post by InnocenceLost57 »

http://www.collegeboard.com/ is the best site I've found so far. Go to "for students" and you can search by just about anything, bookmark your favs, compare, etc. Good luck!
One minute there was road beneath us

The next just sky

Reach up

And let's propose a toast

To the thing that hurts you most

( /)

(O.o) Copy bunny into your signature to help

( <) him achieve world domination

/_|_
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

http://www.helpingteens.org/book-0001.html

outdated version, but i'm assuming they have updated it since the review.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

You would get more replies to this in the "general school forum". Mods?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
fuzzysnowflake
Loyal

Post by fuzzysnowflake »

fastweb.com is pretty awesome and they will help you find scholerships. Also US News I think always puts something out about the best colleges and breaks them down in various categories and I think college board does that too.
"There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits on the human capacity for intelligence, imagination and wonder." Ronald Reagan
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

moved
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Trapped
Veteran

Post by Trapped »

Ok. I've tried collegeboard, but it just keeps weeding nearly all of the ones i"ve heard of, and since money is a big factor that's absent in my life, I can't just go somewhere i"ve never of (even tho I had wanted to go out-of-state). *ahh, boo*

As for the scholarshipsomg, I just want to cry...b/c I was suppsed to have been applying for those since last year, and I find that I "can't" start b/c I get all anxious about how bad my essays are gonna be, since i"ll prob. have to write one for each and I need to apply to like 200 scholarships at least! It's not that I write bad essays, just usually I tend to sound to scientific/professional/trying to hard (when really that's me, only plagued by depression and I can't focus long enough to make sense and anxiety that I won't sound good enough since I don't read (for pleasure) and my vocab. is not as wide as others).

Thanx for all replies. I'll try the us news again. *smiles brite* thanx again.
It's the little things that make a big difference.

In case you hadn't noticed...4-letter words:

love - hate - true - life

"And there are voices

That want to be heard

So much to mention

But you can't find the words"

--Listen to Your Heart, DHT

I can't erase myself, but I can try to move on.
andi
Loyal

Post by andi »

Your highschool should have some kind of resource center for this...i mean there are a million colleges...do you want to go instate or out of state? Is there a specific price range that you have to keep in mind while searching for schools? This is a very broad question that you've posted, so the only advice i can give you is to think about what i said, and then see if there is any place at your highschool you can go to get info.

Good luck!

andi
"These are the days worth living, these are the years worth giving, these are the moments, these are the times, lets make the most out of our lives"
Trekker
Dedicated

Post by Trekker »

Go to a bookstore such as Barnes and Noble or Borders and get a book that profiles all the nation's major colleges and talks about what each school's strongest programs are and lists them, along with tuition, standard of living, and other factors. I bought several such books before I started applying to colleges. One of 'em was called the Fisk Guide to Colleges. These college-profile books come out with new editions every year- so make sure whatever you buy or look at its up to date. And don't just realy on one, check several. Sometimes the information in the different books varies pretty significantly.
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/colleg ... _brief.php

US News publishes a yearly review of the top colleges with all sorts of different programs.

tJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Loyal

Post by 309756 »

fiske's college guide is god.
spatulaoflove
Veteran

Post by spatulaoflove »

if money is a problem look at Canada. Honestly the colleges there are SOOO CHEAP! even for international students (10,000) compared to like 45,000 here
love,

Teal, the magical lute playing elf
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

Im sure there are hidden fees and shit though for international studies...

I got this paper from "U-Turn" and it talked about Canadian schools being cheaper but there are hidden fees that level it at a cost of that around state schools (around 5-10,000$ a year)

~Jeff~
amatasu
Loyal

Post by amatasu »

Rankings tell nothing.

Dont pay attention to them just look at the college itself.
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Originally posted by amatasu@Oct 19 2005, 02:55 PM

Rankings tell nothing.

Dont pay attention to them just look at the college itself.

[right][/right]

Well sort of. First of all, you need to identify what you want from a college. Then, select a few colleges that in a perfect world you would love to go to, and why you want to go there. What would attract you to those schools? Then list those. Also, list what you DON'T want in a college. Then, using various college search engines (such as the one at college board) or various sites with rankings and whatnot, and find out which schools fit what you want. Then go and visit and collect more information about them. After you've visited and learned shit about these schools, apply to the ones you want. Once you recieve letters of acceptance, then figure out where you really want to go. Go and visit again if you want. Most schools don't require admissions acceptance until may or something like that. But definitely try and get applications in early. Don't let rankings decide where you want to go, decide based on where you like the best, where you feel the most comfortable. But yes, rankings can help a lot during the initial college search, but don't rely only on rankings to decide where you want to go.

I know that method is pretty intense and does take a lot of work, but college is a big thing. Hard work now will pay off in the long run.

tJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.