Choosing Colleges

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
candela
Needs Another Hobby

Re: Choosing Colleges

Post by candela »

the school itself isnt conservative butthe surrounding towns are - the town just had a fit about the college block party they had the other day because of all the drinking and partying - even thought the school only really has two huge partys a year
</>Luck and Love to all</>

PM me if ya need anything

"It doesn't matter what other people say, or think when you see nothing in the mirror."
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

haha, ic ic ic...but i could see that because of the noise and such...

~Jeff~
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I think a lot of you guys are kind of overstressing yourself about college. Sure, all colleges are different, but the longer I've been in college, the more I realized that it didn't matter as much as I thought it did when I first made my decision. Odds are, if you know what you want out of a college, there is probably one or more that suits your needs well. Just pick one. If you make the wrong decision, oh well, you can always transfer and rectify it. But, in reality, there is never a wrong decision with your education. There are better and worse decisions, but no bad ones. I strongly urge you to not freak out about it. Trust me, it's not THAT big of a deal, as much as people would like to pretend it is.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
sbloemeke
Veteran

Post by sbloemeke »

I'd have to go first with the academics, because I am planning on majoring in engineering. You NEED a school with good academics if you want to get anywhere in that field, I believe. As a second base, I'd go with the enviorment. Like, I looked at the University of Virginia, and while it is a very good academic school, it seemed like everyone there was just snobbish (No offense if anyone here goes there. It's a generalization.) But Virginia Tech just stole my heart away because of it's enviorment, design, and academics.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

I think a lot of you guys are kind of overstressing yourself about college. Sure, all colleges are different, but the longer I've been in college, the more I realized that it didn't matter as much as I thought it did when I first made my decision. Odds are, if you know what you want out of a college, there is probably one or more that suits your needs well. Just pick one. If you make the wrong decision, oh well, you can always transfer and rectify it. But, in reality, there is never a wrong decision with your education. There are better and worse decisions, but no bad ones. I strongly urge you to not freak out about it. Trust me, it's not THAT big of a deal, as much as people would like to pretend it is.

[/b]

TJ, i have to disagree w/ you there...

i want to make it far in my field (personal financial advising) and by just chooisng any old college that has finance w/o doing research, i could pick a school that is not business accredited and yeah i will have a dipolma stating that i graduated in finance, but when i take it places that will not look as good as others...

true it would be best to go to a some Ivy league school (im some majors, like finance...it wouldn't be the wisest to go to an ivy league school to go into grade-school teaching) but i can't afford that, so i went to the best alternative, and i highly believe that in this field it is important...

put it this way: you are the owner of a company and searching for employees and two people are up there:

A) has a BS in finance from a non-accredited school and though near the top of the class, it isn't accredited so what (s)he learned is not guaranteed as what is necessary...

B) has a BS in finnace from a business accredited school, finished in the middle to top part of the class, but what they learned is known becuase of that accreditation certificate...

i know what decision i would make . . .

~Jeff~
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Jeff, I'll concede, to a point, that if you know what you want to study, then yes, picking a good institution with that field of study is key. But, here's where I backpedal. If you are truly looking to go "far in the field" of what you are studying, you obviously aren't going to stop with just a BS. You're going to get a masters. So in that sense, you could major in leisure studies and still go to almost whatever grad school you wanted with that degree (assuming you kept up a good GPA). For example, here at OSU, there's one of the best business schools in the nation (Fisher College of Business), but, it's a bitch and a half to get into as an undergraduate. So a lot of people will have an undergraduate major of math or something like that, knowing that submitting themselves to the undergraduate torture of Fisher is worthless if they're just going to go to graduate school there, so they cakewalk their way through undergrad with math or whatever, and then apply and go to Fisher as a graduate.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

yeah i totally agree w/ you...its definitly important for a masters to go to a good school, but for me it only takes a BS + a hell of a lot of certificites (like stock market, retirement, college planning, legal, etc)...

but for those certificates i (if possible) will go to good schools, like hopefully i will be able to attend the americna college (or something like that here in good ole PA) which is the top knotch place to get your main certificate (to be a certified financial planner (CFP))....but this place you have to have like 5 yrs. experience + is a 1 year program, about $30,000...so hopefully i will be at a firm that helps pay for it...haha...

but yeah i totally agree, that masters are imperative for careers where it matters...

who knows, maybe soemday i will decided ot get a masters (to be a financial anaylist (financial lanaylists are for firms while CFPs are for people) or just to have better credential)...

~Jeff~
Breathe_In_For_Luck7
Veteran

Post by Breathe_In_For_Luck7 »

First was it had my major. There are only 3 colleges in NY that offer German education and it was one of them (I want to stay in NY). Second, honestly, is because my boyfriend goes to school 15 minutes from there. Third, it's just far enough from my parents (3 and a half hours) but still close enough. Fourth, I love the trees. No lie. I like the nature.