Got Lost

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
OrbisVita
Loyal

Got Lost

Post by OrbisVita »

at the end of high school i was pretty confident i knew what i wanted to do. i was sure i wanted to pursue art. everyone said it was crazy cause youll never get a job, but i always figured, hey i wouldnt mind being homeless if i could at least do what i want. i checked out a few schools and ended up falling in love with one of the most pricey schools i could find. ive gone through my first year, had a good time, but, alas, the seed of doubt has been planted.

though i did get a good education and had a good time, my year was rough because i didnt have much money to live on, PLUS $40,000 loans breathing down my neck. great. so i lived a year as a starving artist. now im not sure if this is what i want to do. im kind of lost now. i started off in a really expensive school (maybe a bad move) and ive sort of lost my direction...not sure if i want to go back to the school and give it another shot, transfer to another school, or SCREW the system, and learn art on my own, thereby saving my hundreds of thousands of dollars. i know this isnt something someone can answer for me...im just lookin to talk, cuz im really confused as to what to do. i used to be sure of what i wanted to do, but as i followed that path, i started second guessing.

does anyone know a site/forum/community that talks about art schools? (like what the schools focus is; reviews or something?)

thanks alot guys!
Every silver lining has a touch of grey.
Michie
Veteran

Re: Got Lost

Post by Michie »

I don't know any art schools, but I sort of understand what you mean by losing interest...not feeling like art is for you anymore.

A) Is it possible that the method of education in this expensive school really isn't stimulating you? For example, classes in 400-person lecture halls decreased my interest in courses...subjects I had, in school, loved. If the style of learning isn't helping (maybe you are not being taught things you want to learn, and furthermore, it is via video lectures) then I suggest reevaluating the education you got at that school.

B) Did you feel good about learning the things you learned there? Did you feel you learned anything at all?

C) Did living on your own, for the first time, possibly, and being pretty broke, weigh you down as well? Did you get support from friends and teachers? Or were you alone?

I firstly can't believe how expensive the school was. Holy. 40 000 for a year of education is nuts. I'd go to a state college just so I wasn't so badly in debt. Also, I am going through the 'confused' and lost stage as well, not in the art field, but basically learning just became tedious and unsatisfying when I went to university. I got out and decided that as long as I have a GOAL in mind, a distinct direction, maybe I'd be more successful.

I applied for a 'state' college and with a distinct career degree in mind (not necessarily my destined career...who knows, maybe I won't like it)

Anyway, it's your choice as always. Maybe if you stick through the expensive school and graduate you will feel you accomplished a huge thing. Maybe it's better if you apply to a state college and ease yourself through an art or media program there (web design, cartoons, etc). Maybe you could take a break from school for a half year, work, and think about your direction. You can always go back to school in January rather than September. Hope this helps.
My tears will be hidden behind this fake grin

You can see me through these metal bars-I won't let you in

It's my life and I screwed it-You're not to blame

And though I keep on trying, it's so hard to change.

-Steph

My email- [email=""]steph_w_3000@hotmail.com[/email]

Email me if you wanna talk!