I Have A Q..

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
love_not_war
Loyal

I Have A Q..

Post by love_not_war »

okay, i had a party last friday night.. and sadly to say, it got busted.... but the cops came into my home.. are they really alowd to do that without a warrent?? people kept telling me theyre not suposed to be alowd in my home.. and he kept like threatning to take me to juvi, when i wasent even doing anything wrong.. i was trying to talk, and hed keep yelling at me to shut up.. and he said my friend was being disrepectful by raising her hand.. all in all, these cops were just being RUDE FUCKIN PIGS! i hate cops.. soooo fuckin much.. this is turning into a rant tho.. but were they really suposed to be able to come into, and go thru my home without a warrent?
Muh eLJay[livejournal]

"*Don't be a drag baby...

I dig you a lot, and if it makes any difference, I'm in the band.

No no no, I don't sing.

No, I don't play guitar.

I play tambourine...lead tambourine!*"

"I Try To Look At Your Face, But All I Can See Are Your Breast!"

"It Really Hurted When I Banged The Floor!!"

"A Fry With No Salt Is Like A Butt With No Hair!!!"

"My Tummy Just Went 'BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH' haha!"

"*So don't let the world bring you down,

Not everyone here is that fucked up and cold.

Remember why you came and while you're alive,

Experience the warmth before you grow old.*"
turtbub
Veteran

Re: I Have A Q..

Post by turtbub »

Was there underage drinking at the party? Police can go into a house without a warrant if they see a crime being committed. So, if people under 21 were drinking, yes they had the right to be there.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
Wheretogo
Veteran

Post by Wheretogo »

if there wasnt drinking, but they had a noise complain then they can come in. HOWEVER, you can still complain about the cops that came. you should have gotten their names, but theyd have to make a report about it, so just complain.
Why give up, why give in?

It's not enough, it never is.

So I will go on until
the end.

We've become desolate.

It's not enough, it never
is.

But I will go on until the end.

I've lost my way.

I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end.

Living is
hard enough

Without you fucking up.

Until The End - Breaking Benjamin
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

If they had a suspicious REASON to... then yes they can come in without a warrent to break up a party. chances are; your neighbores called the cops on you.
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Yeah, they can come in, but they can't start tearing up your house looking for shit.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
four
Veteran

Post by four »

They have to have something called reasonable suspicion which is basically saying they need some proof that illegal activites are going on, around the same amount of proof they would need to get a warrant.
NAAM
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

no i saw on like dateline or something that unless they have warrent or permission from the owner/renter they cannot enter
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

^^ no. they DON'T.
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

They can enter, actually. As long as they see that a crime is being committed or they have reason to suspect that one is being committed they are legally allowed to enter.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
Hezichia
Loyal

Post by Hezichia »

I think it's pretty well said that it is ok if they can see somthing illgeal going on. Here are (I'm pretty sure) the rules just in case someone else ever needs to know:

# If an individual voluntarily consents (agrees to) a search, no warrant is needed. The key question in this kind of search is what counts as a voluntary agreement? In order for a consent search to be legal, the individual must be in control of the area to be searched and cannot have been pressured or tricked into agreeing to the search.

# A police officer that spots something in plain view does not need a search warrant to seize the object. In order for a plain view search to be legal, the officer must be in a place he has the right to be in and the object he seizes must be plainly visible in this location.

# If a suspect has been legally arrested, the police may search the defendant and the area within the defendant's immediate control. In a search incident to arrest no warrant is necessary as long as a spatial relationship exists between the defendant and the object.

# Following an arrest, the police may make a protective sweep search if they reasonably believe that a dangerous accomplice may be hiding in an area near where the defendant was arrested. To do so, police are allowed to walk through a residence and complete a "cursory visual inspection" without a warrant. If evidence of or related to a criminal activity is in plain view during the search, the evidence may be legally seized.

# If the police stop a car based on probable cause, they can search for objects related to the reason for the stop without obtaining a warrant. During a car search, the police are also allowed to frisk the subject for weapons, even without a warrant if they have reasonable suspicion that the suspects may be involved in illegal activities.

And a google search also comes up with this, which pretty much says the same thing again:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 509AA1O4D5

I think there both written according to Ohio laws, but i would assume, and be almost positive that this is the same in all the states.

And since i'm on a google rampage tonight, here are some excellent ideas to keep in mind for your next party:

http://www.flexyourrights.org/at_your_door
I hail the bunny!

Oolong!

"I don't care if there are no user serviceable parts inside... I'm going in..."

-- Greeps

When attempting something never done before there will always be critics who say it can't be done. For if everyone agreeded it could be, somone would have already done it.