Feedback Needed 2: Chat

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Leapfrog
Veteran

Feedback Needed 2: Chat

Post by Leapfrog »

So we have a chat room here on HT. What I would like to know is...

1. Do you use the chat room?

2. What do you like about the chat room?

3. How can we make the chat better?

4. How would you feel about allowing other sites to use the chat?

Im considering a complete revamp of the chat, but before I do i ned the information I asked for.

So please if you have anything to say about chat now is the time.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Re: Feedback Needed 2: Chat

Post by SirPostAlot »

Im considering a complete revamp of the chat, but before I do i ned the information I asked for.

[/b]

1. In the 3 1/2 years i have been here, i can say that i have used the chat room twice (two seperate days)

2. From what i recall, there was nothing i cared for (but this was a while ago)

3. I never ventured back into it, b/c both time si was there it was dead ~ maybe advertise it more...

When i log in, i go directly to the groups (i have it bookmarked) ~ so maybe have the log-in icon to the chat directly on the home page of the groups? (i dunno)

4. I would be pleased, like i said when i did get on, it was dead (literally, you could see the hay fly by), so if it means more people that would be great and maybe i would use it more

~Jeff~
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

[/b]

1. No

2. Simplicity

3. Like before, you need more traffic.

4. As long as it looks like everyone's from the same site (*cough* HT *cough*), that'd be fine. More chat room traffic will lead to more forum traffic.
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
CausticTears
Veteran

Post by CausticTears »

Yes, I'm a regular and mod there.

I like the friendly and organized system that it has. By organized, I mean, the system of mods (not only are mods supposed to give advice, but, they are also required to make sure the chat is clean and following the rules)... I like that.

The chat does need more traffic, and when new traffic hits... more staff. It seems that I am the only mod, excluding the admins. Being the only mod is okay, right now, since traffic is slow.

I think that could be beneficial, but, also that does not sound very good. By "other sites", I hope you do mean other teen help sites. If not, allowing sites that don't deal with teen help issues could and will create A LOT of un-needed spam. (We have tried this before with GKWC and I do recall a lot of spam coming in. Not many people looking for help, more people looking to stir up things and chat).
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

not often i dont feel like messing with IRC most of the time and since i have linux Java wont be out for a while

well i used to like how even though most of the people were the usuals we got alot of visitor trafic but that was before the whole TH becoming HT thing

more people advertise or something, it is dead alot of the time

great way to add traffic
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

not often i dont feel like messing with IRC most of the time and since i have linux Java wont be out for a while

well i used to like how even though most of the people were the usuals we got alot of visitor trafic but that was before the whole TH becoming HT thing

more people advertise or something, it is dead alot of the time

great way to add traffic

[/b]

Java is cross platform and has been since the beginning.. That's one of the amazing features of Java, and that's also why I chose the Java applet clients for the site.

Linux Platform - J2SE™ Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7

https://sdlc6b.sun.com/ECom/EComActionS ... 1A61BC646E
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake »

Yes.

I like (since it's IRC) that I can customize it more than other chats and that I don't have to use Java to access it.

Like others said: more people. One way you could do that is having a "site meetup" time once a week or once every other week that people are incouraged to come in aand chat. The chat gets a decent amount of trafic as it is, but it all comes in at different times so conversations are hard to make, and people who ome for help feel like they are talking to themselfs.

With the login for the IRC chat instead of "(If any)" next to Password, you should put "Not Required" in red letters. That confused the hell out of me when I first reached that page. Also, since you want people to go to either the lounge or teenadvice you should give them the option when they log in through the Java IRC and not automatically send them to teenadvice.

Additionally, in the Java IRC client, I think you guys should consider a new skin. That one is kind of harsh looking and slightly intimidating.

I think doing that would be too difficult to manage with little return. Not to mention: what sites would have simmilar intrests that we could associate with them?
-Jacob Wilson
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

Used to.

Easy to access, simple to use.

More people, more things to do.

Eh - Maybe that will even bring traffic onto this site. I don't really see a problem with it. It's one of those things that I'd have to be in there more often to really have an opinion on.
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Rob »

Used to. Not much anymore. It's quite.. dead there. Especially during my hours. Darn you Americans.

Instant feedback (provided people are active). It's more fun <3

Well, nothing you can do really. Just hope that more people will start using it over time.

As long as they have shared interests/goals.
VittorioCole
Loyal

Post by VittorioCole »

Yes, I lurk there almost 24/7. And chat, depending on who's in when i'm around.

If you're refering to layout wise, i dont know, i use XChat for it.

Eggdrop bot in for trivia, etc, More traffic, a few more of the hardcore HT.org users camping on it. And if it grows, make sure the list of Ops grows as well.

Its IRC. Unless you're gonna password protect the chan, its open to anyone, may as well make use of that. Open it to anyone, everyone can use help at one time or another, not just the people on HT.org.

Btw, I remember hearing something about #Trivia, but when i tried to join, i was the only one there, and i was made an op instantly (so obviously its not a registered chan..)

Or did i miss something about that chan?
[CENTER]So you're the fire and I'm the water.

I am the balance and you are the color.

I won't forget you when we're not together.

This is the ending, here's my surrender.[/CENTER]
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Eggdrop bot in for trivia, etc, More traffic, a few more of the hardcore HT.org users camping on it. And if it grows, make sure the list of Ops grows as well.

Its IRC. Unless you're gonna password protect the chan, its open to anyone, may as well make use of that. Open it to anyone, everyone can use help at one time or another, not just the people on HT.org.

Btw, I remember hearing something about #Trivia, but when i tried to join, i was the only one there, and i was made an op instantly (so obviously its not a registered chan..)

[/b]
I used to run an EnergyMech with a trivia game option that was playable in there... but that was when I was running a linux box as my router. I dropped the channel when I replaced my linux box with a wireless dlink router.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Leapfrog
Veteran

Post by Leapfrog »

[/b]

I ahd hired a chat manager a few months back who ran a trivia channel. He eneded up losing interest and was let go, and the channel went with him.