Moving To A New School

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
turtbub
Veteran

Moving To A New School

Post by turtbub »

So, I have to go to a new school starting next year. I'm so scared. I'm leaving all of my friends who I love and adore and I'm afraid. What if I don't make new friends? Who will I sit with at lunch? What if my old friends forget me and never talk to me again?

I'm trying so hard to be brave...but this is so hard and I'm just so scared .

So, if you have any tips for me at all or if you've changed schools and you understand, please let me know. I can use all the help I can get.

I just have a constant mantra in my head of "I can do this", but I could definitely use some help and tips.

Thank you all.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Re: Moving To A New School

Post by Fishhead »

I've actually just moved a few weeks ago to a whole different city four hours away, so I definitely understand your worries. You'll be in the same town right? So you'll still get to see your friends and I'm positive they won't forget about you. We also moved across town (in my old town) a year ago. There's only one highschool so I didn't have to switch schools, but my sister did. She had the same worries about her friends forgetting her. Although they did eventually grow apart, they never forgot her. After the first few days into the school year you'll feel a bit more comfortable I'm sure. The first day will be hard, I won't lie to you. I'm terrified about my first day because I don't know anyone yet either.

Feel free to talk to me on AIM about this more if you wish. I'd love to help

Danica
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Thanks Danica. :) You're a sweetheart.

We'll definitely talk about this. It's nice to be able to "go through it" with someone who understands.

<3
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

balloonstring
Dedicated

Post by balloonstring »

I've been to eight high schools- no joke. And you'd think it would get easier as I got more practice, but it's still hard every single time, BUT it wasn't as hard as I would make it to be in my head.

Here are some tips that have been helpful for me...

-The first few days are really important because you won't be the ONLY new kid, depending on the school itself, people expect to have new kids and it's not as awkward then to meet people, in fact people came up to me often saying 'are you new?' .. it's a good conversation starter, take advantage of anyone who starts a conversation with you, and possibly make a goal of how many people you're going to initiate conversations with

-think of things that you could talk to people about, do they play sports, do they like the school, show someone your schedule do they think the teacher you got are good, etc.

-Just sit with people at lunch who you think you'd want to be friends with, sure the actual process of sitting down is awkward (if you feel really awkward ask if you can join, but sometimes that makes you look even more awkward, trying to be more natural and confident seems to be the better route)

-join clubs, sports! so important

-connect with people in your class, arrange times to study together

-have a good relationship with your guidance counselor, if things are horrible and you have a good relationship with him/her, that can always be helpful

-see if you have any friends that know friends at your new school and could introduce you before school even starts

that's all i can think of right now, if you have any more questions, let me know, i've been through that a lot :D
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

Aww hannah everything will be okay! Your a WONDERFUL girl, and NONE of your friends could ever forget someone like you! Your unique and everyone loves you! As for making new friends, I know you can! Becuase your hannah! And hannahs amazing! Just be yourself, && I know you can do it. If you make friends in class ask them if you can sit with them at lunch? And don't be scared!
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Hannah, first of all, you're an amazingly resiliant girl so I'm sure you will be fine. Let me tell you though, I transferred (while it's not quite the same thing) from a college of about 1600 where I could recognize almost everyone at least by face, and at least half the people by name, to a college of over 40000. It's intimidating, no doubt. You really just need to relax, and be yourself. I'm sure you will naturally gravitate to people you enjoy, so it's just a matter of finding those kids right away. Cameron I think also offers some great tips on what to do.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 »

Coming from someone thats switched school so many times that she forgets which one she currently attends Ill tell you this... Moving can be an amazing experience. You WILL make friends. It just happens, whether or not you try. (in most cases) And going someplace where no one knows you means you can lose all those inhibitions and just go for it and be yourself. As for your old friends. You can still keep in touch. I still keep in touch with people I went to first grade with. So yeah it can be done.

I LOVE YOU HANNAH!!! Cheer up babe!

Jessi
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol
fallen_angel09
Loyal

Post by fallen_angel09 »

Ive been to a million different schools (well not really a million, more like a trillion :lol: ) This year so far Ive only been to one high school thank god, but i went to 5 different middle schools. Ive been to so many different schools, that in most of them I dont even have a yearbook picture bc i wasnt there long enough to take any. Heres my advice:

*first of all its never as hard as u imagine it to be. I always thought that when i started in a new school no one would like me and i wouldnt have any friends. It was never horrible like that except for once in 6th grade

*About the lunch situation, find nice ppl in ur classes and spark up a conversation. Introduce urself and tell them ur new to the school and dont know anyone. Ask them if u can sit with them, if they dont already invite u too

* Most importantly, be urself. Show everyone ur amazing personality and dont be shy

*Join extra activities. Sports, clubs,etc. This year I played sports all three seasons, and i have to say thats what helped me the most. A guy that i liked (loved) ran track so we spent alot of time together.

-alot of this I'll be using myself also. I have to move to a different state in september, so i'll b in my old school for like a month or so and then im off to pensylvania.
Its acting so crazy that people think we're drunk

being so bored, we laugh untill we cry

Its inside jokes and remember whens

those are the reasons

We'll always be

BEST FRIENDS ~luv ya shawny, chels, brandon~

There's a girl crying in my mirror tonight and there's nothing I can say to make her feel alright.

(\ /)

(O.o) Copy bunny into your signature to help

( <) him achieve world domination

/_|_\
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Thank you so much all of you. Your replies made me smile, and they were all so helpful. :)

I really don't think this is going to be as hard as I made it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll be afraid and scared, but I think cameron is definitely right. I won't be the only new person. And I can make friends, I can do this.

Thank you again for all your support and advice. It means a lot to me, and it reminds me that I'm certainly not alone.

<33