Roommates/suitemates

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
DaisyLips
Loyal

Roommates/suitemates

Post by DaisyLips »

So i just got to college and i was looking forward to it for like the past few months... and i got all settled in and now i hate it... my roommate and suitemates are like ignoring me, its like i just dont exist... i hate it and it is making me feel like crap... like even when i am in the room with them they just kinda leave me out... any ideas? :(

***SHSU Education Major... Wish Me Luck :)... '10***

***He Didnt Mean To Hurt Me, But I Ment To Hurt Myself*** ~~For PostSecert~~

***I Love You Mitchell***
Wheretogo
Veteran

Re: Roommates/suitemates

Post by Wheretogo »

hey, cheer up. Within the first week. my roomate kicked me out cuz she wanted her own room

*hugs* its hard now, but youll make friends. Talk to people in your classes, talk to anyone. Youll make friends.
Why give up, why give in?

It's not enough, it never is.

So I will go on until
the end.

We've become desolate.

It's not enough, it never
is.

But I will go on until the end.

I've lost my way.

I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end.

Living is
hard enough

Without you fucking up.

Until The End - Breaking Benjamin
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

yeah, you'll make friends - just give it time

i was soo depressed the first few days b/c i had like 1 friend here, but i met a few people who are amazing and we talk like everyday and like live in eachothers dorms

and my roomate doesn't get along too well w/ me like i mean hes nice but we have like nothing in commen...

but you just have to learn to be dependent - its one of the biggest things to learn in college

~Jeff~
PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

Jeff dear, do you mean *independent? hehe. :)

And as far as roommates/suitemates leaving you out, that's a hard thing to deal with because you live with them. There are a few things I can think of.

Attempt to get into their conversations, ask how their day went, how classes are going, etc. Try to be proactive about taking an interest in what they are doing. If there are some fun things you plan on doing, maybe invite them to come along? If you're headed out to dinner, see if they are interested in going.

Always trying to make friends with those outside your room is good. If worse comes to worse, if you have to just spend time with your other friends and come in and out with very small association with them then that can work too. You don't always necessarily need to be friends with the people you live with.

And if things get really bad, you can always file to have yourself moved to another room. I know a girl who went through a lot of problem roommates and switched probably 3 times in one quarter. Sometimes people just don't match up well enough to live together and you can't do much about it. Try to stick it out but if things really do get that bad you should consider filing to move to another room.
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

And keep in mind it's not just great and horrible as far as roommates go. A lot of people have just ok roommates their freshman year. My roommate freshman year, he and I could live together fine, but we were never best friends or anything of the sort. So don't fret too horribly if you're not best friends with your suitemates, I'm sure you'll find your own friends in time.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.