Too Much Homework

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
njh88_07
Loyal

Too Much Homework

Post by njh88_07 »

Do you think that teachers give too much homework. Yes or No please explain
Our attitude towards life determines lifes attitude towards us.

-Earl Nighingale

I may have done some things that are wrong but hey who hasn't? I don't know anyone that is perfect. Do you?

People don't die from suicide they die from sadness.

-ANONYMOUS

That which nourishes me also destroys me.

ANGELINA JOLIE -So true for me. I believe it.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Re: Too Much Homework

Post by sinical_sycology »

Homework to me is just forceful studying. It serves no other purpose but for you to pracitce the current subject at hand. Problem with that is, it's being used as tool to determine a student's success. For example let's say someone who's an auditorial learner, they remember what they hear and come test time they do well. However they're not good at doing homework in other words, they cant bring the focus to study the subject since they already understand what it is they just see it as a trivial issue. Now we have the one who does the homework but doesn't know jackshit because they just copy the answers out of the book or someone else but because homework is graded so heavily that they can pass the class without knowing shit. It's flawed system the high school grading system that is. Teachers give more weight to projects and homework rather than the tests itself. I understand that it's to help us build work ethic but for it to determine our grade standing in the class is stupid. That's why you got kids in Algebra 2 classes not knowing how to divide fractions. So I wouldn't necessarily say they give TOO MUCH homework because often times it's not that bad unless you procrastinate, I would say they give too much VALUE to homework by using it as a large factor in our grades, a student should be able to get in A in the class without ever having to do the homework (assuming the student understands the subject) albeit not an A+ but an A regardless
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

hun, your in highschool now ...

i thought highschool gave alot of hw (but i don't mind, b/c i enjoy hw) but college gives 10x more hw than highschool did...

hell it would be honost to say that college gives 20x more hw...

but i mean its enjoyable...haha

i say that they give alot, but they don't give too much

~Jeff~
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

The thing with university is that there are far less teaching hours, therefore there has to be more homework, Jeff. :) And you're right, its often more enjoyable because you have decided what you are studying and you've made the choice to be there (unlike school which is compulsory).
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

well our freshmen 1st semster (me now) we don't get to choose anything (which sucks) except our major, but like i have 1 class pertaining to my major...heres my schedual:

MAJOR = Finance

MWF:

8am-850am ~~~ Financial Accounting

9am-950am ~~~ Compsotion I

10am-1050am ~~ Introduction to Anthropology

W:

2pm-250pm ~~~ University Seminar

TR:

11am-1215pm ~~ Psychology of Adjustments

T:

530pm-830pm ~~ Principals of Sociology

------------------------------------------------

So i have:

three "mental" classes (psychology, sociology, and anthropology)

one business class (accounting)

one english class (comp)

one forced-freshman class (univ.)

i mean its not a horrible sched, its just not what i would pick, but i do enjoy it...haha

~Jeff~
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

You only have 50 minutes???? I have 2 hours for all of my classes:

Monday:

Music Analysis 8-10am

English 101 - 11-1pm

Math for Meds 2-4pm

and

Child develpmet 5-7pm

Same on Wed. But those are my only says in class....
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
Draco
Loyal

Post by Draco »

The biggest difference between college and HS homework is the time you get to be able to finish it. I've gotten more hw in college than in HS, but because of me having more time to do it, it doesn't seem as bad, go figure. I still hate it, but understand it as a necessary evil.
Your life is only as good as you make it. The hardships of life will bring any of us to our knees. No matter how high-spritied, no matter how optimistic. It'll pull us down, drag us through the dirt. Our lives will feel empty and pathedic, we'll have everlasting sadness. Though we must wait it out, beacuse this is usaully only a temporary thing. You must keep faith in yourself, while keeping faith in others. Protect the ones that hold and love you, for they are the most important people in your lives

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

You only have 50 minutes???? I have 2 hours for all of my classes:

Monday:

Music Analysis 8-10am

English 101 - 11-1pm

Math for Meds 2-4pm

and

Child develpmet 5-7pm

Same on Wed. But those are my only says in class....

[/b]

eww, thats weird...

i know we have some of those classes, but i didn't get blocked into them ~ 99.9% of the classes here are either:

MWF - 50 min.

TR - 75 min.

MW - 75 min

single day - 180 min.

so they would add up to being:

MWF - 150 min (2 1/2 hrs ~ 3 credits)

TR - 150 min (2 1/2 hrs ~ 3 credits)

MW - 150 min (2 1/2 hrs ~ 3 credits)

single - 180 min (3 hrs ~ 3 credits)

so are yours 4 credit cources?

~Jeff~