*shakes Head*

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

*shakes Head*

Post by SirPostAlot » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:49 am

Hmm, do you know what i find sad? How financial aid these days are not based on ones merit, but based on ones need...

Now i am not saying that one shouldn't get financial aid, but i feel one should work for it...

Take for me 7instance, i busted my ass in hs : 4.075 (weighted) GPA, Salutatorian, President of my NHS, Head Treasurer of my Junior Historians, Treasurer of Spanish Club, President of Academic Decathlon, and Vice President of my class . . . At regionals decathlon i took a gold medal in econ, and two bronzes: art and lang/lit...

I was offered ZERO scholarships - i wrote a lengthy note to the dean of admisssions, and after an hour phone call, he found me $1000/semester (which i am highly grateful of)....I have all A's this semster (excluding my sociology class ~ which no one knows what they have in it ~ based on tests/papers/hw, etc i have an 80, but he curves it based on the ending grades in the class)...but i was offered nothing more so far...

my roomate on the other hand comes from southern philly (african american) ~ he had horrible grades in hs and his grades this semester are horrid! (i believe he has 2 D's, 2 C's, and one B...he skips 1/2 of his classes, partyies 5-6 nights a week, and just doesn't care at all about school ~ but ooooohhhh, he got a letter saying that he will receieve an additional $1500/semester b/c of need and he "has earned it" (*cough* bullshit *cough*)

I am not saying that people who recieve scholarships don't deserve it, i just think it is sad that colleges these days are basing it on need and not ones potential . . . People who abuse scholarships and do not strive to their fullest aggrivate me ~ that money should be going to someone more deserving...

*My rant for the day* anyone care to (dis)agree?

~Jeff~

Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Re: *shakes Head*

Post by Fishhead » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:01 am

Seriously, I wish I were black or something so I could get some amazing scholarships and get all my college paid for and shit. I know this black chick who has a 3.3 GPA (weighted o.O) and she got to spend last summer at YALE (!!!) because she's just so freaking brilliant (sarcasm), when my GPA was at the time near a 4.4-5ish (I don't remember exactly) and I didn't get offered that. Ugh, it's ridiculous. If racism and segregation are things of the past why do people of other races have an advantage over the rest of us...

It pisses me off..

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:41 pm

exactly...its very very sad...

like my one friend here is amazingly smart...she wants to work for the FBI as a Forensic Investigator, like when she watches "House" or "Forensic Files" she will figure it out way before they do...she knows a lot about criminals (she has like 50 books about criminals and their minds, etc)...she is just amazingly smart and will go far - but she is comes from a poor household - but she is caucastion . . .

she was offerend $0 in scholarships, wrote to Bloomsburg explaiing that she was accepted to Harvard, but couldn't afford it and Bloomsburg just replied saying "well we are sorry, we don't have any money for you" - basically b/c the money was wasted on people who don't deserve it...

Now for the record, i am not racist - there are some very smart african americans here, but they would get the money based on merit, if that was how it was designed, so need is just pointless

~Jeff~

sinical_sycology
Loyal

Post by sinical_sycology » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:16 pm

The reason why is because the minority community is out looking for retribution from the american goverment. Minority communities are still blaming the american government for their failures because of actions done to them 20-30-50-100 years ago. People need to drop this shit and look at the world we live in now, the problems of yesterday have been resolved, we need to focus on the shit that is fucking up our society today. Yes white people shouldn't be treated any differently from black children, but if a guy needs the money then he needs the money, GPAs don't always say everything. Einstein was a highschool dropout, he cut and skipped classes, and did horribly in high school......now he's one of the most famous genius' in history. That goes for a lot of people who are highly intelligent but don't do well, I know a guy that had a 2. something GPA, but got accepted into MIT, graduated from there and was accepted to some nuclear school where only like 10% of applicants get accepted.....he hated school dropped out and now works on an NAVY base carrier. GPAs say only one thing and that is you had the focus and determination and ambition to complete such a feat which I certainly commend you guys for, I wish I could've done the same...shit my GPA was only about a 2. something, but does that make me stupid? Maybe, maybe not, you certainly wouldn't be able to tell from my GPA....you can make an assumption but an assumption is just that. Of course you guys have displayed amazing work ethic and determination with your academic performances and I believe that you will or are doing well in a collegiate environment, but I still stand by the fact that a GPA does not determine the intelligence of any person but is a guideline to determining whether that person can sustain the same focus and determination in a university campus
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:08 pm

no i dont base it just on GPA, i think it should be based on attendance, dedication, extra-curricular, and motivation . . .

but i know some people struggle w/ GPA but are very smart - school just isn't their forte, but they know a lot about what they want to do, etc ~ that is still dedication and motivation (and most likely if they are that dedicated to the field, they will join the organization that is based around that major)...

you know?

~Jeff~